Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-04-2005, 04:00 AM   #41
EmeraldFlashlight

How about some gameplay discussion...

Who's your favorite character to play with? The first time I played throught his game I used Conrad, (WAY back in the day, this was the first game I got for my Pentium 1 66MHz), and found the game to be easiest with either him, or Michael for the advantage of brute force

So, this time, I'm going with Kieran. He makes it much more challenging to survive the early encounters! However, I seem to rememeber the orginal manual claiming that with a little work Kieran had the most potential, and would be the more powerful of the heroes if you could keep him alive to the later stages of the game. So, I'm anxious to see how Kieran compares with endgame Conrad or Michael. Michael especially seemed to suffer in the late game, it seemed to me, when powerful magic became very useful, and awesome weapons made his brute strengh not as much of an advantage. After all, "Justice" is a powerful sword whether it's being wielded by Michael or Ak'Shel!

The thing I remember most about theis game was learning a very useful RPG lesson: always strip your party-mates right before you're going to part ways with them! I remember the first time I finished the first trip to Roland's and left Timothy behind before heading to the Draracle...all i could think about was all the great stuff he had, (not really great stuff at that stage of the game, but it seemed like it at the time!). So, after dragging that girl out of the Draracle's cave, (Lara? was that her name?), I was SURE to remove all her gear before we said goodbye. I think about that everytime I play any RPG now, and always remove characters' stuff before I do anything that might cause us to part ways....

Old 09-04-2005, 05:41 AM   #42
Rugz

I played this game long time ago and this is a great game. Maybe one of the first RPG's that i finished.
First time around i played conrad and this time around i again seem to be liking conrad.
I just want to know about skills ... how to improve ROGUE skill ? fighter increases by meleeing foes. Mage increases by using magic on foes. But what about rogue how does that skill increase ?

About kieren being good late game i agree with that. Most probably she will get some sort of stealth ability or backstab bonus damgage or avoidance something like that which willl help greatly late game. Its just a guess though.
Rugz is offline                         Send a private message to Rugz
Old 09-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #43
EmeraldFlashlight

It took me a long time to figure out how to increase rogue skill, too. It increases a little from lockpicking, but the best way to do it is to use bows. How practicing with a bow makes you better at bluffing I'll never know, but there it is...

On my first time through this game, the character who ended up with the highest rogue level was the four-armed Thumgog, strangely enough! I had him equipped with a sword in one weapon hand and a crossbow in the other, so every time he swung it would increase both skills!

This time for a little more of a challenge, I think I'll make the Thumgog a pure mage instead of fighter. A fighter is really the easiest way to go for him, given his racial advantages and natural talents, but according to the story he's given up the martial ways of his people and is more interested in being a mage. So, since I'm the kind of nerd who actually cares about his RPG characters' feelings, I think it will be fun to give him his wish and not take the easy way out by just slapping two big swords on him and swinging away.

So, I'll have Kieran for rogue stuff, the Thumgog (why can't i remember his name?) as the mage, which leaves Paulson as the tough guy, (once I pick him up, of course). To me, this is a good setup if you're interested in a challenge, and in roleplaying characters according to their personalities.

On the flip side, I'd say the powergamer setup would be to pick Ak'Shel, get him a bow early to boost his rogue level, and make Mr. Thumgog pure melee, maximizing his racial advantages. So, you've got a tough fighter, a powerful caster who can also handle the rogue tasks, and picking up Paulson will just be icing on the cake.

All this brings back another memory of this game... poison stinks! I remember getting poisoned and having no choice but to rest until the character died, then healing him back to life, if I didn't have any cures. Then came those wondeful immune to poision Bezel rings, but the stupid Thumgog's fingers were too fat for them, so the poor guy was always dying from poison...sigh...

Old 09-04-2005, 06:58 AM   #44
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

the manual is now ready to download. click the "Manual" link in the extras box
which is on the review page of Lands of Lore.
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 09-04-2005, 08:02 AM   #45
FreeFreddy

The Thumgog's name is Bacaata, if remember correctly
Btw. any of you remember that two gates at the very entrance to Scotia's Castle (after finishing the war with one of the weird races and helping other) that can't be opened, entered or bashed, but where it was visible there's something behind them? The weird thing is, you aren't supposed to enter them in the game oficially at all, BUT you can. All you have to do is to save the game, exit it, hexedit the savegame on the location where the position of the group is saved (little experimenting needed there, easy way is to save the game, move to the next tile and save another game, then compare the games in DOS) so you end up now BEHIND the gates.
The bonus in that - there a pretty cool two-handed sword you can get there, not as powerful as best one you get on usual way, but almost, and it has another name. Now the question is - why would that sword be there if the player isn't supposed to be able to reach that place...

Old 09-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #46
Spoonman
Flyswatter

Ahh here goes. THE best game of its kind imho. Thanks for reminding me to look up my CD (I don't think I can play it without the very well done speech anymore without feeling kinda disappointed, but if I can't find the CD I might anyway )
Old 09-04-2005, 04:24 PM   #47
grin

Quote:
Originally posted by Strobe@Apr 8 2005, 03:15 PM
sorry mad-e-fact, but other than the screenshots i've taken myself i found the
rest in omuletzu's incoming folder, so i couldn't help assuming that he'd done
these, you know?

if they should be yours, i apologize for this misunderstanding and hereby
set the facts straight!

as for the lands of lore sequels, i've played the second part (guardians of destiny)
a long time ago, but somehow it didn't manage to convince me...
:Brain:

Old 09-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #48
panther_512

Lands of Lore!!!!!!!!!!!!
The first RPG I played many years ago with my first PC, a 386 DX 40MHz with 512 Kb video card and 4MB RAM. HA HA! What a time!
I completely loved this game and though lacking extended character creation, is one of my favourite games ever!

But I would like to ask for those of you that finished the game, about a bug that I encountered twice in the past.

Remember the 4 gold pyramids that you have to find to save the king?

When you have the three of them I think, Scotia finds you, transformed in a beautiful lady and something asks you to do. I don't remember what she says. If you don't trust her, she transforms into a lizard and attacks you. If you defeat her, she transforms into a crow and flyes away, leaving behind the last pyramid. If you don't fight her, you don't get the last pyramid and you find it later in a castle inside a drawer in a wall. But you cannot pick it up!
The pyramid remains in the wall and you cannot get it in any way.

Has anyone encountered the above problem?
panther_512 is offline                         Send a private message to panther_512
Old 09-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #49
Enzo Draven

Hi guys, it really seems i can't make this game work. After i download it i can only select the player because as soon as i choose the dude to play with and click to go ahead and start the quest....i got the screen all black and thanks for coming out..!
I see you talked about it before and some guy posted a link to a patch and i downloaded it as well...what now? Will u be so kind to tell me exactly what i have to do to be able playing this game on my dumb behind pentium? Thanks.
Enzo Draven is offline                         Send a private message to Enzo Draven
Old 09-04-2005, 10:20 PM   #50
Ratsalad

Hi yall

If anyone should prefer the full version it's available at HOTU
Ratsalad is offline                         Send a private message to Ratsalad