Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
catchaserguns
Games Master

Default Dvd Burner Died

I was burning a game using UltraISO when It stopped saying a power problem and now my dvd wont play movies, music or games. Its a Samsung Tsstcorp CD/DVDW TS H552L. In properties it shows cd drive and unknown file system. I don't know if the laser has burnet out or what. It takes a cd or dvd and the little light flashes but nothing happens. I go to my computer and go to that drive and it says no disk. No media what so ever. If someone could help me I'd be happy.
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

First thing I'd check in your place would be the power supply. Worn out PSU = inadequate power = guess what?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

in my experience, doing this helped:

unscrew your dvd burner (if it's out of warranty, otherwise bring it back to the vendor and get it repaired for free of course), clean out the parts of the dust that gathered up everywhere, but most importantly- once you get to the lens take some cotton wool, put alcohol on and clean it
(some high % clean alcohol, you can look for 70% isopropyl alcohol in your local market ideally, but if you don't find anything, any vodka or cologne will do)

dirty lens/other parts was the most common issue with my cdroms when they didn't work properly

on yeah, i'd almost forget- be careful and gentle when cleaning stuff because lens and other parts are sensitive

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 01-07-2010 at 11:34 AM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 13-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
KrazeeXXL
BORG

Ok a bit of an old thread but I had the same annoying problem in the past with my old LG.

At first I did some cleaning and bought useless utensils - a waste of money. (in my case)

Then I found out that I had to reboot so that it was actually able to recognize one other dvd. Later I found out that the access layer "patin couffin" has an "unfreeze" option in it, which sometimes worked.

In hard cases as nothing helped - I used "Starforce Nightmare". Deactivated the drive and after a break of some seconds activated it again. This burner is broken since 2 years and I was somehow glad as it finally died.

Never found a good firmware for this dang thang. Also lots of ppl had the same problems with it.

I guess you can consider yourself lucky when you're able to burn 1000 dvd's on one and the same burner.

Last edited by KrazeeXXL; 13-09-2010 at 12:08 AM.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 13-09-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Wicky
the little viking

First thing I'd do is calculate the value in dollars then compare repairing with buying a new one.
A dvd-burner nowadays costs 20 dollars. Now if you repaired it successfully in 1 hour, you saved the money, but think about this: Couldn't you have also gone to work and earn 20 dollars? Then you could end up with buying a new burner in the same time. What is more fun to you, spending 1 hour with your dvd-burner or working in your (assuming) office?

The question is, if you loose 1 hour in order to fix the problem anyway, would you rather prefer buying a new dvd-burner than fixing your old one?
PRO buying:
1) You'll end up with a modern dvd-burner w/ fresh guarantee.
2) No random chance of failure with unexpectedly breaking the lens for example, you'll be on your safe path.
3) No unpredictable expenses with buying a 10 dollar DVD-cleaning disc, then breaking the burner and having to buy a new one for another 20$, thus raising the expected cost of repair above the limit!

CONTRA buying:
1) Fiddling around with your old burner increases your skills. You might become a guru in computers!
2) Spending your money on repair tools, like cleaning discs or a real good screwdriver set for computers, will last forever. You could fix future problems more quickly.

Thanks for reading, now do what I would do: Buy a new dvd-burner always. Those original software CDs like games are so expensive, that even 1 corrupted disc because of a broken burner costs the double!
Old 14-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
KrazeeXXL
BORG

yea the 20 bucks issue.

At least some ppl have some ecological conscience... as they try to fix broken things.

I attach great importance to this tbh and wouldn't compare it with lousy 20 bucks.

Try to think about the low price. It's the reason y the quality of the dvd-burners became that what it now is. Buzz phrase "throwaway society".
For some ppl it may be just 20 $/€/whatever.

But it's much more then that. The sooner ppl will recognize the better for all of us.
Some of you should watch the movie "the age of stupid".
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 14-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
First thing I'd do is calculate the value in dollars then compare repairing with buying a new one.
A dvd-burner nowadays costs 20 dollars. Now if you repaired it successfully in 1 hour, you saved the money, but think about this: Couldn't you have also gone to work and earn 20 dollars? Then you could end up with buying a new burner in the same time. What is more fun to you, spending 1 hour with your dvd-burner or working in your (assuming) office?

The question is, if you loose 1 hour in order to fix the problem anyway, would you rather prefer buying a new dvd-burner than fixing your old one?
PRO buying:
1) You'll end up with a modern dvd-burner w/ fresh guarantee.
2) No random chance of failure with unexpectedly breaking the lens for example, you'll be on your safe path.
3) No unpredictable expenses with buying a 10 dollar DVD-cleaning disc, then breaking the burner and having to buy a new one for another 20$, thus raising the expected cost of repair above the limit!

CONTRA buying:
1) Fiddling around with your old burner increases your skills. You might become a guru in computers!
2) Spending your money on repair tools, like cleaning discs or a real good screwdriver set for computers, will last forever. You could fix future problems more quickly.

Thanks for reading, now do what I would do: Buy a new dvd-burner always. Those original software CDs like games are so expensive, that even 1 corrupted disc because of a broken burner costs the double!
you've lost 10 minutes writing this post. go earn 2 dollars now
Old 14-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
catchaserguns
Games Master

I already fixed the problem and got a new DVD burner installed thanks
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 16-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Wicky
the little viking

Well, as far as I can see some people spend hours on fixing cheap DVD-players and don't realize, that they could have ended up with a new piece of hardware + some spare change in the same time, if they would have gone to work!

So what? Catchaserguns asked for information how to repair his DVD-player and everybody here gave him information how to repair it, but I WAS THE ONLY ONE who told him, that it's not even worth the effort.

Last edited by Wicky; 16-09-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 16-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Who says they aren't fixing the burner in their spare time Wicky, I always have a go and fixing something I know is busted, cause there isn't any chance I can make it worse. If I do fix it then I have learned something new, if I don't well I still had to buy a new one if I didn't try any way.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86