Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-03-2007, 01:41 AM   #1
faeornran
Forum hobbit

I've been trying to get a lot of games that have speech to work for a while now. I have no idea how to do it, though... I've tried changing settings, etc.

For example, Quest for Glory 3 says it has speech. Do I hear it? No. Not on any of the settings.

I've tried, tried, and tried again, yet I still can't come up with anything.

If anyone knows how to fix the speech would you mind posting? I'd really appreciate it. Even if it were just on getting QFG3 to work with speech.
faeornran is offline                         Send a private message to faeornran
Old 26-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You need to run the game's setup and configure the soundcard correctly. Default for DosBox and VDMSound is Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, HDMA 3, Adress 220 h. If no setting for Sound Blaster 16 is available, try Sound Blaster Pro 2 (or just "plain" Pro).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-03-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
faeornran
Forum hobbit

The only thing I can think I haven't tried is setting the IRQ to 7, and that's ONLY because I don't know how to change the settings to use IRQ 7.

It's nice to have those numbers on hand, though. I'll try again to see if I can't do anything.

Thanks!

Edit: Just tried again to double check that I can't change any of the settings, and I most certainly cannot on my own (yet). Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated
faeornran is offline                         Send a private message to faeornran
Old 27-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you cannot change the IRQ in the game's sound setup, change the one in your Dosbox.conf file to 5 and see if that changes anything (warning: doing that might result in a crash if the game's trying to use IRQ 7 instead)

Also, are you sure the game you downloaded is not a ripped version (eg with speech files removed to reduce size)?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-03-2007, 03:48 AM   #5
faeornran
Forum hobbit

I own it. I installed it myself. I can adjust any setting in whatever way I want and be able to fix it.

So, yes. I am *incredibly* sure.

Thanks for the tip, I'll go check it out to see if it'll work. Results in a few.

Okay, It's not working. I've tried changing a number of settings (such as other IRQ numbers that the card might use (though 5 and 7 were most likely)), but it still refuses to work.
Methinks I'll go and reinstall QFG3 sometime to see if I can't pop any settings up there. I don't know why the blasted thing is doing this. *shrug*. Then again, I've never been able to get speech to work on this game, so maybe it's Sierra's fault, hehe.

If you have anything else you'd be willing to hand me to see what's wrong, I'd appreciate it, but don't worry about it if you don't want to deal with it. I might post again later to ask again.

Thanks for your help again.