Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:08 PM   #91
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Romano@ two posts ago
From Wikipedia:

Sine qua non or conditio sine qua non was originally a Latin legal term for "without which it could not be" ("but for"). It refers to an indispensable and essential action, condition, or ingredient. In recent times it has passed from a merely legal usage to a more general usage in many languages, including English, French, Italian, etc.
Thanks, Romano, you're right - were would we be without the Krauts, er, Krauths
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 08-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #92
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally posted by OvErLoRd@Feb 8 2006, 08:22 PM
Well, here's little ol' me. I've quickly cut one of the pictures from ''The Meeting''.

Attached Image

i knew you look like that!
realy!!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #93
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos+Feb 7 2006, 10:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sebatianos @ Feb 7 2006, 10:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sebatianos@Feb 7 2006, 11:25 PM
I guess Sean is Magic's real name (that's why he changed it), will wait a bit before adding it.
I was waiting for you to confirm it... [/b][/quote]
My Bad Seb. Was bloody tired when I read that :P

I knew that YOU loved me really k:

I don't recognize half the names on that list

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 08-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #94
Himmler
Trollmaster General

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathDude@Feb 8 2006, 09:06 PM
Well here's yours truly, the vocaldude. :angel: Got to get an updated one though, hopefully soon enough.

omg...u're Jerry Seinfield :O
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 08-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #95
mouse31e
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by rlbell+Feb 8 2006, 01:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rlbell @ Feb 8 2006, 01:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by mouse31e@Feb 8 2006, 01:01 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-rlbell
Quote:
@Feb 8 2006, 12:44 AM
It amused me to learn that Richard is an old english word for tyrant, or harsh ruler.

More likely, it means brave/hard leader with reference to strength rather than brutality and it's Germanic, not English.

My name is Andrew. I won't add a picture because I don't have any!
No, its old english. It may have a common root with a similar german word, but it is english.

English is like that. A friend of mine, James Nichols (not famous, but you might have heard of him), once commented:

People who go on about the purity of the english language amuse me. English has the purity of a cribhouse lady. It does not just borrow words, it lures weaker languages into back alleys, and then rolls them for any spare words in their pockets. [/b][/quote]
According to the two sources I've listed below (which admittedly may not be completely accurate, but I couldn't be bothered to dig any deeper!) the name is made up from the germanic elements 'ric' (meaning power, rule, leader, braveheart) and 'hard' (meaning brave, hardy, strong) and was introduced to the english language by norman settlers from europe. This would imply that the name was in use elsewhere prior to it's use in England.

http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=richard and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard.

mouse31e is offline                         Send a private message to mouse31e
Old 09-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #96
Gelfo
Game freak

Meow. My Name's Anthony

I try to be a part of the community, but I keep falling asleep and waking up in strange places..
Old 09-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #97
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by mouse31e+Feb 8 2006, 10:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mouse31e @ Feb 8 2006, 10:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by rlbell@Feb 8 2006, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mouse31e@Feb 8 2006, 01:01 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-rlbell
Quote:
Quote:
@Feb 8 2006, 12:44 AM
It amused me to learn that Richard is an old english word for tyrant, or harsh ruler.

More likely, it means brave/hard leader with reference to strength rather than brutality and it's Germanic, not English.

My name is Andrew. I won't add a picture because I don't have any!

No, its old english. It may have a common root with a similar german word, but it is english.

English is like that. A friend of mine, James Nichols (not famous, but you might have heard of him), once commented:

People who go on about the purity of the english language amuse me. English has the purity of a cribhouse lady. It does not just borrow words, it lures weaker languages into back alleys, and then rolls them for any spare words in their pockets.
According to the two sources I've listed below (which admittedly may not be completely accurate, but I couldn't be bothered to dig any deeper!) the name is made up from the germanic elements 'ric' (meaning power, rule, leader, braveheart) and 'hard' (meaning brave, hardy, strong) and was introduced to the english language by norman settlers from europe. This would imply that the name was in use elsewhere prior to it's use in England.

http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=richard and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard. [/b][/quote]
There are plenty of names ending in '-ric' well before the conquest, though, and the word 'hard' (or something very similar-looking - I can't be bothered to check my OE-dictionary right now) is definitely pre-Norman. So the name's roots are most likely Anglo-Saxon, even if the actual name isn't. And since Anglo-Saxon is largely a Germanic language, that would mean you're both right.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 09-02-2006, 07:03 AM   #98
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

If you want to put a pic in, do you have to do it through something like photobucket? :blink: inserting photos isnt my speciality... <_<
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 09-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #99
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

PrejudiceSucks - Joe

(don't put my picture in, it's old and awful)

PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 09-02-2006, 11:59 AM   #100
Dino
Call me Edmund

Quote:
Originally posted by _r.u.s.s.+Feb 8 2006, 10:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_r.u.s.s. @ Feb 8 2006, 10:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-OvErLoRd@Feb 8 2006, 08:22 PM
Well, here's little ol' me. I've quickly cut one of the pictures from ''The Meeting''.

Attached Image

i knew you look like that!
realy!! [/b][/quote]
Excuse my curiosity, but how exactly did you know that?