Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Metal: Needed or Unneeded?
Slayer 5 4.81%
Metallica 21 20.19%
Gwar 2 1.92%
Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne/Black Label Society 8 7.69%
Anthrax 1 0.96%
Slipknot 4 3.85%
Other (please specify) 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
Iowa
Game Wizzard

I start this topic at most forums I belong to, so let's get this site down then shall we?

My view on metal is that it is probably one of the best form of music, it has energy, emotion, rhythym...and it pisses off adults!

Slayer is my favorite metal band...they changed the way we look at intensity.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:07 AM   #2
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

The list is a bit small and its hard to choose from because there all so good... it's missing Pantera

I'll go with the Knot
Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy
Old 09-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

Hmmm I am a prenapster fan of Metallica, meaning before they became money hungry *****s. And Slayer is like Metallica ripoffs in a bad way, and numetal is quite ordinary and boring, but Black Sabbath , Manowar and alot of other metal I like, but as usual, I like everything from classical music, to power metal (Nightwish and Sonata Arctica), and a hell of other great music. So that is my point of view
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 09-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Missing 2 very influential bands, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest and heck will even put in Motorhead for leading the wave of British Heavy Metal.

Metallica is without a doubt an influnetial band, Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets and Justice for All, 4 great metal albums, personally though Kill Em All, which got them notice a lot of credit should go to Dave Mustaine for coming up with majority of the riffs and such, Master was their peak though. Now though, they aren't metal anymore imo, just hard rock, since Load it's been downhill for them in terms of music, no longer interest me.

Slayer, really think they should drop the whole anti religion image. And yes it's an image, Kerry King can write all he wants about it, but in the end it's so forced when it's sung and doesn't look real, and really it's getting old, they haven't put out a good album since 1990 Seasons In the Abyss.

Even though Slipknot is nu-metal, technically not metal metal, like other bands because of chord progression and the way they arrange their songs.

My fav bands Iron Maiden, still going strong after all these years, never have come close to selling out, and still one of the best bands today, Dream Theater for being a great band and great set of musicians, John Petrucci FTW! and usually myself just listen mostly to progressive, power or thrash, other favs I like include Megadeth, Queensryche, Strapping Young Lad, The Devin Townsend Band, Blind Guardian, Symphony X, Nevermore, Iced Earth, Rhapsody, Kamelot, Stratovarius, Kreator, Demons And Wizards, Sonata Arctica, Dio,

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 09-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
faralar
Abandonia nerd

Whatever metal heads around the world want to make you belive, led zeppelin is NOT metal! They are a rock band that inspired the sound that later became metal. It's like calling the troggs punk...sheeesh
faralar is offline                         Send a private message to faralar
Old 09-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

80 per cent of the people so far have voted for "other" as their favourite band. How many of those would have voted for Iron Maiden for example?
Old 09-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I say extend it to include rock'n'roll and hard rock, like AC/DC and Motörhead.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

DeathDude, faralar, Japofran, Mighty Midget:

I agree with you all, and if Iron maiden, and Manowar had been there too, and alot of the names DeathDude mentioned , then I would alot have voted for alot.
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 09-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #9
Iowa
Game Wizzard

Right then, *cracks knuckles* let's address these replies.

I would first off like to sincerely apologize to the general public for leaving off Pantera...you really don't even know how much i'm kicking myself over this :wallbash: .

Shunk Eat Enemy:
Quote:
I'll go with the Knot[/b]
What era of Slipknot are you reffering to? All three albums? Pre-"Subliminal Messages"? "Iowa"?
Because Slipknot completely changed styles in each album...

Wolverine DK:
Quote:
Slayer is like Metallica ripoffs in a bad way, and numetal is quite ordinary and boring[/b]
I couldn't disagree with you more, but i'm not in the mood to make an enemy right now, so i'll just leave it at that.

Deathdude:
Quote:
Slayer, really think they should drop the whole anti religion image. And yes it's an image, Kerry King can write all he wants about it, but in the end it's so forced when it's sung and doesn't look real, and really it's getting old, they haven't put out a good album since 1990 Seasons In the Abyss.
[/b]
The anti-religion image basically is Slayer. If they dropped that, they'd be just like any other death-themed metal band in the world. And while I do agree that Seasons is an awesome album, you're forgetting "God Hates Us All". This one got me into death metal, and really should get better reviews than it has (in my opinion)...I mean, look at my signature, that's from "New Faith" which is undisputedly one of the best Slayer songs ever written.

I can't say anything about Metallica, because to tell you the truth, i've only heard two of their songs: "Enter Sandman" and "Master of Puppets"...the latter being the better one in my opinion.

I also can't mention Iron Maiden because...i've never heard a single song from them...

Old 09-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #10
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Aug 9 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]247633[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Right then, *cracks knuckles* let's address these replies.

I would first off like to sincerely apologize to the general public for leaving off Pantera...you really don't even know how much i'm kicking myself over this :wallbash: .

Shunk Eat Enemy:
Quote:
I'll go with the Knot[/b]
What era of Slipknot are you reffering to? All three albums? Pre-"Subliminal Messages"? "Iowa"?
Because Slipknot completely changed styles in each album...

Wolverine DK:
Quote:
Slayer is like Metallica ripoffs in a bad way, and numetal is quite ordinary and boring[/b]
I couldn't disagree with you more, but i'm not in the mood to make an enemy right now, so i'll just leave it at that.

Deathdude:
Quote:
[/b]
The anti-religion image basically is Slayer. If they dropped that, they'd be just like any other death-themed metal band in the world. And while I do agree that Seasons is an awesome album, you're forgetting "God Hates Us All". This one got me into death metal, and really should get better reviews than it has (in my opinion)...I mean, look at my signature, that's from "New Faith" which is undisputedly one of the best Slayer songs ever written.

I can't say anything about Metallica, because to tell you the truth, i've only heard two of their songs: "Enter Sandman" and "Master of Puppets"...the latter being the better one in my opinion.

I also can't mention Iron Maiden because...i've never heard a single song from them...
[/b]

I think you need some education, since Iron Maiden has made so much music, that you couldnīt have forgotten to noticed it, and you donīt want to make me an enemy ?

Well then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icAzyx8EsKU

the number of the beast

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...p;search=Search

here is all that I could find with them on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQLGUWjr6Co

fear of the dark

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...p;search=Search

all I could find with Manowar.

I donīt care if you feel I am an enemy or not of you, just go into the line.

Just because I donīt like Slayer, then you all out of sudden begin to say, you donīt want me as an enemy ?

Are we having a real fanboy here ?

Yeah, I feel Slayer is a metallica ripoff, and numetal is very ordinary , mediocre, and very boring. The only numetal song I like is In The End by Linkin Park, and by the way numetal is not even metal.

I saw that in a program about punk history, and other stuff some time ago in the telly.

heck, you can always find other info about numetal. on perhaps wikipedia, but I am sorry I canīt remember the name of that television show, but I think it was about the history of Punk, and it went from The Sex Pistols, and on to the newest.

And you have only heard two of metallicas songs ?

I donīt even know why you made this thread in the first place, without even having a kind of knowledge about it. To me you just mashed it all together, and made a mess out of it. Sorry if I offend you, but if you hate me now, then begin to listen to alot of songs.

We had a thread earlier in the music thread, and that was about metal too, without polls, and there we discussed it , perhaps a bit emotionally, but it was in very sober tone, and we all had some serious good discussion. To the moderators, if I am too out of line, then give me a warning, since that I can live with.
Or lock this thread, if it gets out of line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np8TP0mZPCo

afraid to shoot strangers live

And any extreme PMs will be reported instantly to the moderators. , when I read them.