Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-06-2019, 12:48 AM   #1
kingofrock

Default Can WWF In Your House FMVs Look Less Pixelated?

The "WWF In Your House" FMVs on DOSbox look too pixelated on my computer. Is there a way to make this...

...look like this Youtube gameplay video below?

https://youtu.be/y743P9spNc0?t=912

Last edited by kingofrock; 01-06-2019 at 01:09 AM.
kingofrock is offline                         Send a private message to kingofrock
Old 03-06-2019, 02:28 AM   #2
kingofrock

So after researching, I guess the FMVs look pixelated because of the way the game was ripped and the only solution is for me to obtain the game disc or a better rip somehow.
kingofrock is offline                         Send a private message to kingofrock
Old 04-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

I checked disc on Archive.org. It's exactly this quality. And, I dare to say, it's quite impossible to get it in quality of your movies with technologies of 90s - and having one CD.

So either it's different version - or plain not DOS. PS1 version, for example, looks much better, it seems.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:52 AM   #4
kingofrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
I checked disc on Archive.org. It's exactly this quality. And, I dare to say, it's quite impossible to get it in quality of your movies with technologies of 90s - and having one CD.

So either it's different version - or plain not DOS. PS1 version, for example, looks much better, it seems.
Thank you for checking on this. Now I know to stop tinkering with DOSbox settings trying to achieve the impossible. The Youtuber claims he is using DOSbox, so if that's true, he or someone else must have merged the PS1 FMV with the DOS version, I suppose. Because, as far as I know, the PS1 version didn't have music during the matches and his game has the music.

Last edited by kingofrock; 06-06-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofrock View Post
Now I know to stop tinkering with DOSbox settings trying to achieve the impossible.
Game is definitely DOS in video - it have "Press F1" cue, for example, that is absent on PS1.

I checked video, frame by frame, and found that maybe I am wrong. Because actually video is not _so_ far from original as I thought, actually.

Here is how your frame looks on CD:

As you can see, it's exactly the same detailing, only much better smoothed.

And then it totally can be DOSBox Scaler. Ask youtuber which one he used, or experiment yourself with .conf-file. I had to confess that shaders and scalers is somewhat blind spot for me: I always prefer "original" look, not smoothed, sharped, etc, so I cannot help you here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard-7.png
Views:	1394
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	2515  
Old 08-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
kingofrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Game is definitely DOS in video - it have "Press F1" cue, for example, that is absent on PS1.

I checked video, frame by frame, and found that maybe I am wrong. Because actually video is not _so_ far from original as I thought, actually.

Here is how your frame looks on CD:

As you can see, it's exactly the same detailing, only much better smoothed.

And then it totally can be DOSBox Scaler. Ask youtuber which one he used, or experiment yourself with .conf-file. I had to confess that shaders and scalers is somewhat blind spot for me: I always prefer "original" look, not smoothed, sharped, etc, so I cannot help you here.
The Youtuber says he used DosBox SVN.Scaler: Hardware 2x. Output: Direct 3D. Resolution: Original (320x200 and 320x240.

My Dosbox doesn't have Direct 3D so maybe I need to try Dosbox SVN whatever that is.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
The Youtuber says he used DosBox SVN.Scaler: Hardware 2x. Output: Direct 3D. Resolution: Original (320x200 and 320x240.

My Dosbox doesn't have Direct 3D so maybe I need to try Dosbox SVN whatever that is.
SVN = Subversion, software revision control system

The DOSBox source code is stored in an SVN repository and is updated frequently. You can download it and compile DOSBox yourself or download one of the precompiled binaries.

In this case though, I think DOSBox SVN might refer to an unofficial version with some added features (like Direct 3D output option).

Anyway, you don't need a special version of DOSBox to use the scalers, 0.74-2 works just fine. Change the output to openglnb (or opengl which already does some filtering) and use whatever scaler you like.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
kingofrock

Should the graphics settings in the Dosbox conf file be the same as the graphics settings in the game conf file?
Old 10-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #9
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Should the graphics settings in the Dosbox conf file be the same as the graphics settings in the game conf file?
Not necessary. Scalers must (um) scale it for any needed resolution. But usually you set it for "resolution=original" to not mess with it manually.

zirkoni! Darn, I knew that I missed something on this youtube nick!

Check PM, please.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #10
kingofrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
SVN = Subversion, software revision control system

The DOSBox source code is stored in an SVN repository and is updated frequently. You can download it and compile DOSBox yourself or download one of the precompiled binaries.

In this case though, I think DOSBox SVN might refer to an unofficial version with some added features (like Direct 3D output option).

Anyway, you don't need a special version of DOSBox to use the scalers, 0.74-2 works just fine. Change the output to openglnb (or opengl which already does some filtering) and use whatever scaler you like.
Well, I set up SVN Daum and used the Youtuber's settings but didn't achieve the unpixelated FMVs. The shaders don't make much difference.