Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
Brodie_Bumshine

Default Top Down PC RPG From Early to Mid 90s

Hello, and I want to apologize in advance for how vague this one is going to be. The game I am trying to remember I only played once on a friends father's computer. It was a PC pc, not an amiga or anything else, because I also remember playing Battle Beast and Beauty And The Beast on the same system. As for the timeframe, I don't know when Beauty And The Beast was released, but I know that battle beast was released in 1995, so sometime between 1995 and 1997. Operating system was probably 95, because again, battle beast.

Now, for the gameplay, all I remember is that it was a top down rpg in a fantasy setting, VERY similar in gameplay to ultima pre 7. I vaguely remember going from the starting castle to a cave of orcs nearby and getting totally wrecked. It might or might not have been grid based, and you might or might not have had a party. If you did have a party, they followed you around in their own tiles. I also remember there being a lot of bright primary colors on the color scheme... thats it. Sorry that its not that much to go on.

I also vaguely remember there being a bar at the right of the screen of...party memebers? Or something? Maybe troops? Also, going from the castle to the orc cave was seamless, as in the orc cave was part of the overworld.
Brodie_Bumshine is offline                         Send a private message to Brodie_Bumshine
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Check Bloodstone please? Prophecy looks similar by description, but no interface at right. I definitely know more such games... But I cannot remember any right now.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
Brodie_Bumshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Check Bloodstone please? Prophecy looks similar by description, but no interface at right. I definitely know more such games... But I cannot remember any right now.
Bloodstone seems to be similar to what I'm searching for, but there were definitely sprites on the overworld.
Brodie_Bumshine is offline                         Send a private message to Brodie_Bumshine
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Wait, you mean, there are two maps, like in Ultima? Global and local?

Try Exile then. I found also what game I thought of. Enchantasy!
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Hmm, you can also try the Magic Candle series and Aethra Chronicles.

Those are DOS games but could quite as well run under Win95.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Brodie_Bumshine

Quote:

I'm not saying there were two maps per-say. In fact, I vaguely feel like there was only one map.

Also, Magic Candle and Atheria chronicles are a bit too real-time for what I remember. Whatever the game was, the sprites moved from one place to another with fairly little fanfare (no sound effects for movement, no walking animations).

Also, almost positive graphics were not VGA.

I also want to stress that I was, like, 6 when I played this game, so my memory might be a bit spotty in places. If something matches some but not all of what I'm saying, There is a large chance it might be that.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Brodie_Bumshine

Quote:

Exile is striking REALLY damn familiar. It is HYPER close to that. I vaguely remember there being a river near the starting location, and if you go a bit after that, there is the orc or something den that completely romplestomps me.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Brodie_Bumshine

I want to say again that I vaguely remember there being other people following you that had their own sprites.. It was pretty grid based, really similar to exile. I can't really find anything on the exile games other than the one Smiling Spectre posted (google just bullrushes anything I look for into PATH of exile, and if I simplify it further, I get weird league of legends things).
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Go to official site. All three Exiles are freeware now, I think.

Part 1, Exile 2 and Exile 3. Oh, and Blades of Exile are free too, but it's more construction kit than game.

Unfortunately, they are Win16, so unplayable on any x64 windows without emulators.

(Also, googling screenshots are better with full name. I.e. "Exile: Escape from the pit", "Exile II: Crystal Souls", etc
Old 03-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Some of your description also sounds a bit like Excelsior.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty