Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
Dino
Call me Edmund

Oh my, who do we have here?

And as ever, you're right. Hope to see more of your presence here.
Dino is offline                         Send a private message to Dino
Old 12-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #12
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

I've always been arround, but i've moved to beeing a reader more then a writer...
But, as most of us, the whole Studentis-deal caused me to loose the spark realy.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:48 AM   #13
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

To be frank Titan, I have no idea what is Romano problem either. I am sure he would have been booted out of this place if he wasn't Kosta relative...

Being directly targeted in the first post made me react. No doubt it was for stating the obvious in another thread started by Romano...
Old 12-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #14
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

You're no friend to me and mine. :notrust: I agree with Chosen. This community is busy being ruined, and you're the one who's doing it.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #15
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumiuN View Post
We are all valued members of this forum, and to even have the possibility of losing one or more is simply not worth the arguments.
I'll just quickly reply to this part, although I think you make a lot of sense in your post generally.

Losing one or more members... yes, that's the point. There should never be a loss of members due to some arguing. But once it happens that hard-working, contributing and long time members are starting to leave, somethings have to be resolved. Until now they have always just been swept under the rug.

On a further note...
'serving a sentence' of temporary bans... if they're not such a big thing to get upset about it, why are they even issued and what's their purpose anyway?
I mean, da you really think they have the power to transform a user into becoming a different person, or are they simply annoying and frustrating to the person who got banned?
I can assure you that unless a person really feels he/she did something wrong, any form of punishment is pointless, since it will only frustrate the person.
On the other hand if the person realizes his/her mistake, no punishment is needed.

Of course there are cases where it is good that people in fear of punishment don't do certain things... A person might be angry enough to shoot you, but in the fear of haveing to carry the consequnces of murder, he/she does not shoot. But those are only extreme cases and it is questionable even in those cases if it is really this fear that prevents a person from acting upon impulse.

But surely forcing people to behave in any way through the element of fear is not (or at least I hope that people agree with me on this statement) acceptable.
Not to mention that this form of internet punishment is also not really harsh enough to be all too effective. Worst case scenario - you can't use a ceretain website, there are plenty more.
Yet there have been several member who left because of such things in the past... the earliest I remember was Yamcha, after the warns were implemented (for those who don't remember, or weren't here at the time, there was a little warn meter under the user's name, that showed how many times and how severely that person was warned and broke the rules).
Interesting enough that prior to all that this site had a lot of fun... but afterwards, people got warnings for so many different things... I mean, posting in good humor itself got risky. You could get warns for bringing old threads back to life, for making new threads if there were old ones (which you couldn't reopen anyway) to talk about something... So generally if you weren't there the first time around, you couldn't talk about certain things.

Lucky for the site the things have eased up, but I'm guessing here we go again, hopefully for the last time now.

And just to mention a few names of people who are gone and were in one way or another involved in such fights in the past...

Yamcha, Fawfulhasfurry, Wormpaul, Wendymarrie, Anubis, Kon-Tiki, Indignus IV (sure, he came with bells on, but one of the first things he started doing was to review games)... and those people never returned (there were others who left but came back), which is a loss for the site.

OK, so I wasn't as brief as I thought I'd be...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 12-12-2008, 10:29 AM   #16
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
On a further note...
'serving a sentence' of temporary bans... if they're not such a big thing to get upset about it, why are they even issued and what's their purpose anyway?
A very strong warning for that person to stop their actions before a permament ban has to be issued - an equivalent to a bucket of cold water. And giving them time to calm down and reconsider their actions.
If you don't see point in that, I'll change it so that the third warning equals a permament ban. Makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Quote:
But surely forcing people to behave in any way through the element of fear is not (or at least I hope that people agree with me on this statement) acceptable.
Not forcing them to behave in any single way. Forcing them to not behave in certain specific ways. Which, as it happens, is exactly how something called "law" operates.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 12-12-2008 at 10:33 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #17
Scatty
Treasure hunter

I think I have to agree that issuing bans or threats of any kind for doing some things that weren't meant to be offending in the first place, doesn't really serve the meant purpose on the "offending" person. I mean, ok there are sticky threads that should tell where every kind of post belongs and more, but there're always people who don't notice them at all.
And I also have to agree with Seb, the forum was more entertaining before that warn system, and I know many forums which have a lot more members and number of posts but where the mood can also be more relaxed and without fear of posting a wrong thing in a wrong place.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Can I kindly ask..

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!!????

I have absolutely NO clue on the actual problem and it seems I now have a TheChosen on my own board who practically refuses to get back here..!!
(from what I understood of his post there)

Where the HELL is this unified front of admins and moderators when HALF of the people don't even know what this issue is ACTUALLY about!?

It's like beng sent to a war without being told weither you're fighting for the freedom of people or for the opression of people!

So what is all this actually about AND...

WHEN WILL IT END!?

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 12-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX2GvO View Post
WHEN WILL IT END!?
I think I can tell you that. It will end when all of the members here stop seeing the mistakes of each other and will try to see things in a more relaxed way, together with the interest of aiding Abandonia in being what it was supposed to be - a nice and welcoming place for everyone interested in classic games and searching to talk about them or for help in playing them.
It's not about own hurt interests here after all, but about Abandonia and us helping out with it in which ever way possible. Or at least it was intended that way in the first place.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 12-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #20
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX2GvO View Post
It's like beng sent to a war without being told weither you're fighting for the freedom of people or for the opression of people!
Excellent. Now that's something I want to quote - may I?
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos