Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
TheTurk

HI

I own the CD for Terror from the deep, but it deosnt work correctly on Windows XP

So I tried using DosBox, but for some reason it wont load, i've followed the instructions on this forum (for DosBox) step by step, but when I try tp open the "TERROR" (Which I would click on normally through windows to open the game) the it wont load....

Now I can see that it isnt an .exe file, its description is "MS-DOS Batch File"

Is this why it wont work?? Where would the .exe file be to load the game??

Or is it doing this because it is still running trying to run the game through the CD?

Is there any way a game can be copied entirely from CD to hard drive so that it doesnt require the cd to work??

Many thanks

TheTurk is offline                         Send a private message to TheTurk
Old 25-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

First, please tell me which exact commands did you enter in DOSBox, and what exactly happened when you tried running the game (error message, the program ceased responding... something else?).

Second, any CD which hasn't been copy-protected can be copied into an ISO image, which in turn can be read by any number of virtual drive programs (or by DOSBox' internal IMGMOUNT utility).

Third, is this a DOS-only version or a dual-system one (supporting both DOS and Windows) ? If you don't know it's not a big problem.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Oh dear... you did mount the CD drive? If you didn't, the doxbox readme explains how.

For the game to work in dos box you will need to mount your disk and cd drive i believe.

@ horseman - your guide doesn't cover this area. maybe it wouldnt' be bad if there was a little update on this for folks with ISO images or original CDs.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 25-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
TheTurk

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 25 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]313136[/snapback]
Quote:
First, please tell me which exact commands did you enter in DOSBox, and what exactly happened when you tried running the game (error message, the program ceased responding... something else?).

Second, any CD which hasn't been copy-protected can be copied into an ISO image, which in turn can be read by any number of virtual drive programs (or by DOSBox' internal IMGMOUNT utility).

Third, is this a DOS-only version or a dual-system one (supporting both DOS and Windows) ? If you don't know it's not a big problem.
[/b]
Ok,

So when I open Dos Box, it automatically runs Norton Commander and it opens the "old games" directory

When I open my TFTD folder there is a "Terror" file that is usualy used to run XCom2 from windows

If i click on this (through Norton Commander on DOSbox) it gives the following message:

Illegal Command: E:sound\sndstart.
Illegal Command: E:ufoexe\black.
Illegal Command: E:intro.
Illegal Command: E:ufoexe\black.
Illegal Command: E:ufoexe\geoscape.
Illegal Command: E:sound\sndend.

And I cant get any furthur than that.

NOTE: I downloaded the original XCom game from this site and it works fine through DosBox

gregor..... no i didnt mount the CD drive... I read the Read Me file in Dosbox and it seems a little complicating... is there any chance you could quide me though it?

The Cd drive on my PC is (E
Hard Disk drive is (C

Thanks
Old 25-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

For the CD-ROM drive, type

mount D E:\ -t cdrom

(the D here can be swapped for another letter, but if you have mounted a C hdd, I see no reason why you can't use D here)
Old 25-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Sounds like you didn't mount your CD-Rom drive. Here's what I suggest:
1. Remove that copy of TFTD from your games directory.
2. Add the following line to your DOSBox autoexec:
This will mount your CD-Rom drive (based on contents of the error, I assumed it uses letter E in Windows) as drive D in DOSBox.
3. Install the game again. Remember to configure the sound correctly (Sound Blaster - newest type there is in the setup, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220)

Regarding images, if you record an ISO image of the CD to your hard drive, you can mount it as if it was an actual drive by using imgmount D [path to the ISO] -t iso.
Wikipedia has a list of software that supports this format

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
TheTurk

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 25 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]313153[/snapback]
Quote:
Sounds like you didn't mount your CD-Rom drive. Here's what I suggest:
1. Remove that copy of TFTD from your games directory.
2. Add the following line to your DOSBox autoexec:
This will mount your CD-Rom drive (based on contents of the error, I assumed it uses letter E in Windows) as drive D in DOSBox.
3. Install the game again. Remember to configure the sound correctly (Sound Blaster - newest type there is in the setup, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220)

Regarding images, if you record an ISO image of the CD to your hard drive, you can mount it as if it was an actual drive by using imgmount D [path to the ISO] -t iso.
Wikipedia has a list of software that supports this format
[/b]
It works!!

NICE ONE!!!

Thanks for all your help guys, I havent played this game in ages!!!

Thanks again!!!!
Old 25-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

QUOTE(TheTurk @ Sep 25 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]313156[/snapback]
Quote:
It works!!

NICE ONE!!!

Thanks for all your help guys, I havent played this game in ages!!!

Thanks again!!!!
[/b]
:brain:
Make sure to give the aliens hell.

Quote:
@ horseman - your guide doesn't cover this area. maybe it wouldnt' be bad if there was a little update on this for folks with ISO images or original CDs.[/b]
Will be the next thing I add, in a few days time.

-- Reed Richards
Old 02-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
Inspector

I do have the same problem...

I have a copy of UFO and Terror from the deep on my computer, and I just can't get it to work.

I have installed DOSbox, mounted oldgames, installed the game through DOSBOX, chosen soundcard etc. and returned to the DOS prompt. I type TERROR (or UFO), sound configuration appears, and then just a total lock...

Realize that I must be doing something wrong, but don't know what...

Please help.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Inspector: Please post the exact commands you used when mounting the hdd and the cd-rom drive. Also, post the exact error messages you get, and generally the exact nature of the problems you're having in gettin the game to run.