Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #51
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I've got Windows XP and I'm running it through Dosbox... Works just fine for Chaos Overlords.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #52
killerkoz

Default DOX box tips needed for running Chaos Overlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_guest View Post
I've got Windows XP and I'm running it through Dosbox... Works just fine for Chaos Overlords.
Hey Another Guest,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know what happened before but somehow I made a post as hpereira? Anyway, Im new to all this stuff and I downloaded Windows DOSbox Win32 installer 0.72 from the DOXbox website but I couldn't get anything to work from my CD. I used to play the game on Windows, not Mac if that makes any difference? How should I go about using DOSbox? I mounted the directory e (my cd drive), but then couldnt run anything from there it seemed. Any help or directions appreciated,

Cheers, Rob
killerkoz is offline                         Send a private message to killerkoz
Old 05-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #53
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I don't have any experience running games on cd using Dosbox, but I usually use D-Fend (a free front-end to Dosbox that automates a lot of the mount,... commands for Dosbox --> google for it to download) which works for Chaos Overlords. But again, I have it on my hard drive, not on cd. As far as I know that shouldn't make a difference though.

Hoping this helps
Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #54
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Killerkoz: Are you getting the "...Win95" message when trying to play it under Win98?

As for DOSBox, could you please post the exact mount command you are using to mount the cd drive?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #55
killerkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_guest View Post
I don't have any experience running games on cd using Dosbox, but I usually use D-Fend (a free front-end to Dosbox that automates a lot of the mount,... commands for Dosbox --> google for it to download) which works for Chaos Overlords. But again, I have it on my hard drive, not on cd. As far as I know that shouldn't make a difference though.

Hoping this helps
Cheers for the help Another Guest. I downloaded D-Fend v2 off Wikipedia. In the Game EXE I put E:\_AUTORUN\LAUNCHER.EXE and in the Setup EXE I put E:\_SETUP\SETUP.EXE. It opens up DosBox but then says "This program cannot be run in DOS mode". Any ideas? Cheers again for the help,

Rob
killerkoz is offline                         Send a private message to killerkoz
Old 08-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #56
killerkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Midget View Post
Killerkoz: Are you getting the "...Win95" message when trying to play it under Win98?

As for DOSBox, could you please post the exact mount command you are using to mount the cd drive?
Hey Mighty,

Yes I am getting that message - in Windows 98 and XP. I used D-Fend and the drive mounted ok, it got into the folders on the drive ok, eg. E:\Setup... or whatever it was. Cheers for the help,

Rob
Old 08-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #57
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Well, it's kinda tricky. I see on MobyGames that CO is a Windows game, from '96. Have you tried downloading the version found on Abandonia? If not, try that and see if it runs in XP or DOSBox. If it does, then chances are your cd has a "strictly Win95" version, which I only partially believe exists.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #58
killerkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Midget View Post
Well, it's kinda tricky. I see on MobyGames that CO is a Windows game, from '96. Have you tried downloading the version found on Abandonia? If not, try that and see if it runs in XP or DOSBox. If it does, then chances are your cd has a "strictly Win95" version, which I only partially believe exists.
Thanks Mighty. I downloaded the version on this website and the game works - missing the sound, the pictures of the places in each sector and the full screen. It would have been good to run it off the original cd but sometimes these things just don't work out. Thanks to you and Another Guest for your help.

Cya, Rob
Old 08-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #59
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Did you try to run it in DOSBox for sound and all the other stuff?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:41 AM   #60
killerkoz

Default Yay

It's all good! I ran the version on this site in Windows 98 and all the problems disappeared. Thanks guys for your help!

Cheers, Rob