Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #31
Japo
Autonomous human

Thanks. Not that I like them per se... :P I've only used CPU-Z.
Old 30-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #32
KrazeeXXL
BORG

http://www.enermax.outervision.com/

^PSU calculator. Put in all devices and it'll calculate the wattage for your needs.

I wouldn't try to save on the wrong end tbh. Buying a cheap PSU isn't good for a lot of reasons!

True story: a friend of mine bought that damn Thermaltake TR2 700w yesterday. Although I told him that it's crap and he better shouldn't...

Well, long story short: the RMA is filed as this damn thing toasted the new mainboard and probably the brand new i5-2500k as well. Seriously wtf... he paid 90€ for that damn thing...

Go for something which has at least 80 Plus Bronce standard @energy efficiency. You might save 20 bucks when purchasing some Sinan crap but after some months you'll already see that on your energy-bill. As energy prices are rising damn high, it's an important fact to care about as well. You pay not instantly but on the long-term sight you could've bought an enermax modu87+ or a good antec, seasonic (to name some good quality companies)

Another thing is the security... a cheap PSU has none and it might even burn down your house to the ground. So yea, don't save at the wrong end.

Your GT 520 isn't that good either. It might be ok for office pc's which only operate in 2d mode but don't expect to even play 5 year old games w/o stutter on that thing. No matter if it has 1TB of RAM or 1GB. It's plain bad and only good for playing Minesweeper or Solitaire

It doesn't make any sense to look for graphics cards in this price-range imho. You won't become happy with them as they'll pretty much bottleneck your PC.

X-Mas isn't far away and AMD 7000 series is probably coming in December, Nvidia with their 600 series in 12Q1... So we'll see some price drops @GPUs. I wouldn't buy anything weaker then a Radeon 6850 tbh.

Casual gamers who don't want to invest much money but want to have some bang for the buck: take a look at the ~120€/$ price range.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #33
Halindir
Home Sweet Abandonia

Im going to buy a new PSU and a Graphics Card

What I might buy:
Corsair TX650 650W
MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB PhysX

My Current setup, without PSU and Graphics card:
ASUS M2N-E SLI
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 6000+
4GB RAM

I have no idea wether this will be a good thing or a bad thing, with my current setup..I'd really appreciate it if one of you tech-wizards would aprove of this, or advice me on something better for my computer..Im desperate for some gaming :C

On the pictures of the GTX 560Ti it looks like it needs 2 cables with six holes in each, to be connected...my current PSU only has one of these..Im not even sure what those are called. The Corsair one im looking at has two of these (Called 6+2 pin, don't know if thats the right ones)
Halindir is offline                         Send a private message to Halindir
Old 06-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #34
KrazeeXXL
BORG

I can't say much about the Corsair PSU. I browsed through a review of it and it seems to be reliable. Well, it's a Corsair after all and they usually offer good quality. But before buying anything I just can recommend you to read some reviews of the product yourself.

The Geforce Gtx 560ti is a good choice. You can't do anything wrong with it. I've just seen a battlefield 3 review and Geforce cards run very good with this game.
The 650 Corsair PSU should also be sufficient to power everything.

Now the only potential problem you might run into is a bottleneck because of your dual-core CPU. So, in the near future you might think about a cpu-upgrade as well.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halindir
On the pictures of the GTX 560Ti it looks like it needs 2 cables with six holes in each, to be connected...my current PSU only has one of these..Im not even sure what those are called. The Corsair one im looking at has two of these (Called 6+2 pin, don't know if thats the right ones)
Yep, you need 2 x 6 pins to power the GTX 560ti. PSU's provide those 6+2 pins so they can supply either 6 pin connections like the GTX 560ti has or 8 pin connections (6+2) some other cards have.

Last edited by KrazeeXXL; 06-11-2011 at 11:48 PM.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 07-11-2011, 04:28 AM   #35
Halindir
Home Sweet Abandonia

Thank you very much KrazeeXXL
Thanks to all of you, for all the help and advice!
Halindir is offline                         Send a private message to Halindir
Old 14-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #36
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

Hi, I am interested in whether it worked out for you. I have been facing similar problems, and would like to hear whether you solved yours.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs