Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via MSN to Ioncannon
Default Learning XNA, made a game (kinda)

Anyone play around with MS's XNA? Been coding a little game for the 360 to try and learn and it's going along nicely.

Here is the concept:

Each player/AI has a tower, which may be upgraded and leveled. You get a certain amount of gold every second (depending on upgrades/level) and use it to spend on either upgrades, repairs, or ammunition. As you upgrade you get weapons which cost gold to fire.

To win, you must angle your cannon, and set the amount of power and destroy the other towers. Wind changes the needed angles and powers (to keep ppl from just leaving it at one setting and firing away).

It's similar to Worms (actually now that I think of it, Scorched Earth). Sadly I am not much of an artist so the graphics are nothing fancy.

Anyway, because XNA let's you run apps on all 3 platforms (Windows, Xbox, Zune) here it is in PC format, however you do need a 360 controller so it does limit playability (I'll code the keyboard controls in a bit). Mind you also, this version also is a experimental debug version so it will either crash, act weird, or not display graphics properly (mostly if you level up after lvl 1).

So what do you think?

Bugs you might see

-All sorts of crap after lvl 1 cause I don't have any graphics for the levels after.
-Health bars bugged cause I was trying something and switched half way, will fix later.
-The sound is a placeholder so don't ask why an arrow sounds like a cannon.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Angry Towers.zip (319.4 KB, 5 views)
Ioncannon is offline                         Send a private message to Ioncannon
Old 13-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Was messing with XNA around the time it was launched. Seemed really nice and easy to code. I regret stopping to learn it.

PS: I'll wait for the keyboard version.
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 30-11-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
Acero

I'd love to give this a try for you but I cannot seem to do anything with the game. I've downloaded it, have my 360 controller recognized and useable, but when I run you game nothing can be done.

The amount of gold counts up but that's the only thing that happens. How about some instructions?
Acero is offline                         Send a private message to Acero