Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #211
Unregistered10000
Default how do we install this game

hey

i have a window xp. i can't install the game to play it. the dos prompt shows up then disappear. please help.

Old 13-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #212
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

get dosbox, a program that runs dos apps under other systems, and read readme
Old 13-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #213
Unregistered100000
Default Thank you

Thank you for your help it worked but their is no sound

Old 13-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #214
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

no problems

in order to get sound run "setup.exe" via dosbox, in there:
*setup output hardware for music-> soundblaster 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 or higher
*setup output hardware for digital sound-> soundblaster 2.0 compatible card->220->7->1
*exit setup and save settings
Old 28-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #215
janpeder

Ok, I have played this game quite a lot, and now I just read through this entire thread. First, I have some things to share, and then I have some questions

1: I think it matters how many gears you put on your car (though I'm not completely sure). More gears means it takes longer to produce (assemble) each car.
2: There seems to be a correlation between worker speed and factories burning down. If you set worker speed in a production building to FAST, it is more likely to burn down. If you set speed to INHUMAN the building will most likely burn down within a few months.
3: The weight of engines seems to matter. Heavy engines take more steel to build. Thus, light engines consume the least steel in production and are thus cheaper.

Theoretically, the MAX RPM could also be an important engine parameter, because, combined with the HP parameter, it indicates the torque of the engine. High HP combined with a low MAXRPM would mean an engine with high torque. Also, high HP engines with low RPM would make less noise, which is good. However it is difficult to verify if torque and engine noise is something the car-buyers in the game care about.

Then I have some questions:
- Do anyone know if the results of car races has any influence on the game. Does winning races make me sell more cars?
- In the branch view there is a number indicating market share. I have never gotten this number above 1%. Has anyone else managed to get more than 1% market share? I think there may be a small bug here, because it seems impossible to get it above 1%.
janpeder is offline                         Send a private message to janpeder
Old 03-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #216
Oblomov

My current game I had a market share of 11% in England and France in 1905, selling around 5000 cars a month. So I guess there is no bug.
But I usually try to sell more cars at a lower price. If your way is to sell less with a higher margin you may well stick at 1% all the time.
To keep around 10% share in later years I probably have to give up producing parts completely ... (rejecting researches and buying then from supplier)

A warning: Never have the same price for two ore more different cars in a branche. In this case the orders are bugged. Took me quite a long time to find out

Does anyone know if the three different controls for advertisement (newspaper, campaign, exhibitions) have any impact ?
Only thing I found out is to have the funding for advertisement at around least 5% of the sale region turnover, otherwise the sales go down.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #217
AdyDurn

Quote:
Originally Posted by janpeder View Post
Ok, I have played this game quite a lot, and now I just read through this entire thread. First, I have some things to share, and then I have some questions

1: I think it matters how many gears you put on your car (though I'm not completely sure). More gears means it takes longer to produce (assemble) each car.
I've not noticed this correlation myself... having said that, most of my cars always had 3 gears, I will have a look into this and try and confirm this either way...

Quote:
2: There seems to be a correlation between worker speed and factories burning down. If you set worker speed in a production building to FAST, it is more likely to burn down. If you set speed to INHUMAN the building will most likely burn down within a few months.
This I have noticed, and yes, I have to agree

Quote:
3: The weight of engines seems to matter. Heavy engines take more steel to build. Thus, light engines consume the least steel in production and are thus cheaper.

Theoretically, the MAX RPM could also be an important engine parameter, because, combined with the HP parameter, it indicates the torque of the engine. High HP combined with a low MAXRPM would mean an engine with high torque. Also, high HP engines with low RPM would make less noise, which is good. However it is difficult to verify if torque and engine noise is something the car-buyers in the game care about.
One thing you have to remember is that while that is a possibility... HP (as referred to at the time this game is set) is not the same as the HP (or bhp, pf or cv, depending on your nationality) used today... the modern-day power measurements for cars you're right is worked out using the torque of the vehicle, however at the time of the game each manufacturer /guessed/ the power output of the car using the stroke length OR the cylinder bore (rarely both) or by using the gas pressure measured at the exhaust, and other measurements equally as inaccurate... while I think it's right to assume that more HPs equals more power, I would be willing to say that maxRPM has little effect on the game itself....

Quote:

Then I have some questions:
- Do anyone know if the results of car races has any influence on the game. Does winning races make me sell more cars?
I do beleive it does help a lot... in the one game I ran where I didn't take part in the Motorsports I was really struggling to sell cars

Quote:

- In the branch view there is a number indicating market share. I have never gotten this number above 1%. Has anyone else managed to get more than 1% market share? I think there may be a small bug here, because it seems impossible to get it above 1%.
I've managed to get this share all the way up to 40% in the past... although I was churning out cheap small cars... and a large number of them...

EDIT: Spellings
AdyDurn is offline                         Send a private message to AdyDurn
Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #218
janpeder

Default thx

Thanks for some good and in-depth answers, Oblomov and AdyDurn

-Janpeder
janpeder is offline                         Send a private message to janpeder
Old 16-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #219
Mike_B20

My head hurts

What a brilliant game.
Seriously challenging getting the balance right
Save often, otherwise you'll need to start over from scratch, often.
Err on the side of caution rather than going for the bigger factories early, especially when you start producing your own parts. The smaller factories are best for parts early on. They also make balancing inventory easier.
Advice about going for historically successful models seems spot on; for my first model I went for a soft top small 5hp and couldn't sell it. The open top is the way to go first up.
Who knew capitalism was so hard?

Last edited by Mike_B20; 16-08-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Mike_B20 is offline                         Send a private message to Mike_B20
Old 19-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #220
AdyDurn

I generally find for any management sim with a public opinion value, you always need to start cheap and cheerful, much later in the game I am creating large expensive cars and keeping afloat on them, hehe.

But to get to this point I was pumping out cheap cars by the thousand.
AdyDurn is offline                         Send a private message to AdyDurn