Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #21
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

if it's really freeware we should change this status to special and download link should lead to the external website, where the game is being hosted. unfortunately now it says that the portal is being updated so i can't link it right now
Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #22
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Another case of confusion.
The status was not changed because some copies were sold on Amazon.

Freeware status automatically overrides sold/protected status.

Status corrected.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #23
Sociopathic

Sadly, I never played the original game, but the rehash, The Mighty Eighth, had me (yet again) wasting hours upon hours. Back in that day, I had to upgrade my RAM just to play it because it was so graphics heavy it bogged my poor CPU like mad. Bloody great game.

I spent so many hours in sim time that I could manually start all the engines, taxi and take off (having a separate throttle helps!). I don't know what it was like in the first issue of the game, of course, but in Mighty 8th, you could jump to other planes. It was a blast suddenly jumping into the cockpit of a Messerschmit Me-109 that was attacking your bomber group and giving the Germans a hand. Or even shooting down your "fellow" Germans to increase the odds for your bomber group :thumbs:

One thing I had to laugh at though, was how your crew members would administer "first aid" to each other, which was comprised of watching one crew member shake and slap the other. Priceless lulz.

Dang... Now I'm gonna have to dig that old gem out and reinstall it thanks to this thread :notrust:
Sociopathic is offline                         Send a private message to Sociopathic
Old 22-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #24
billo
Lurker

My favorite flight sim ever!

A small tip:
Even though I wasted my life with that game, I was never be able to use the Norden bombsight correct. I don't know why (maybe because I was too young)
So in order to drop the bombs on the target I found that it is possible to do it using just your...eyes.
That's right! Choose the bombardier and press 'w' to look out of the window. The bombardier will look on the ground. Now, when the target approaches very near the iron at the bottom of the screen (where the plexiglass and the fuselage connect) release the bombs. "Very near" is defined 1-2 fingers placed
above the iron. So put your fingers on the screen and release the bombs.

You may laugh but I always hit the target with that method
billo is offline                         Send a private message to billo
Old 24-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #25
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

speaking of which wasn't there a manual or keyboard layout somewhere in extras?

I only played it once and one mission. i found it a bit complicated. I took of OK, but soon i couldnt' see my team anymore and i got lost. wandering over france until i closed in on the taget to drop bombs. i was then attacked and dropped bombs. soon after the plane went down as well. i couldnt' do anything against the fighters... so i stopped playing.

in reality many got lost or they only survived by staying together. a lot of them was destroyed/shot down anyway.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 01-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #26
well_vexed

I really want to get into this game but the keyboard controls are proving an obstacle. Does anyone have ANY idea how to activate the time skip function? I've pressed just about everything, in every combination, but no joy. I can apparently alter the plane's position by clicking on the navigator's map but this doesn't seem to be the same thing as time continues to pass normally. The answer'll be staring me in the face, I know it, but until I can speed up those long, long transits I'm not finding it a lot of fun.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #27
dosraider
Dismembered.

From memory : HOME to accelerate and END to decelerate time.
2x 4x 6x .... 8x(?)

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #28
sabian
Lurker

How do i get the game too run?
sabian is offline                         Send a private message to sabian
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #29
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Use Dosbox. And read one of the tutorials if needed.
zirkoni is offline                         Send a private message to zirkoni
Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #30
Greyfox Maquis

Absolutely love this game, mostly for the crew and damage management, was even playing it the other day! One thing tho Ive got a copy from the cd "20 Giant Games" so i dont know which version that is and i note a 2.0 version, whats the differences? Would i be right in guessing that the main download is the 2.0 version?

edit: Ok my version is 2.0 the main download is 2.0u apparently

Last edited by Greyfox Maquis; 10-11-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Found out
Greyfox Maquis is offline                         Send a private message to Greyfox Maquis