Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-01-2005, 09:29 PM   #71
Mighty midget

i cant get it to work!

i got the sound thing and i have the dos command prompt window (i have XP) but every time i select U8.exe the dos prompt comes up and then closes automaticaly without starting the program. what am i doing wrong

Old 29-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #72
DasOmen

Perhaps you should play it in Dosbox?

Old 31-01-2005, 04:29 AM   #73
Guest_alex

hey guys, could anyone explain how to apply the patch that comes with the download? also, do you recommend doing this?

Old 31-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #74

nevermind above post

Old 01-02-2005, 07:07 AM   #75
King_llama

help pls its not i workin it wont dl i dont know why :Titan:

Old 01-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #76
FreeFreddy

Writing more understandable wouldn't hurt...
Anyways, try to download without a download manager.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:43 PM   #77
gildedgirth
Abandonia nerd

Just want to throw in my 2 cents about this game. At the time, Ultima 8 created quite a stir in the Ultima fan-base because it differed so much from its predecessors in terms of game mechanics because it was more action-oriented, contained a smaller world and only allowed a single control character as opposed to a party.

It didn't help that when it was released there were numerous bugs and also some very annoying mario-like jumping sections, which were addressed by a stream of patches. However, Richard Garriot, I think more than a year later surprised everyone by releasing a huge patch that addressed the remaining bugs, elimated some of the tedious jumping sections, added lots of new content and wrote a nicely stated "thank you" message to Ultima fans and acknowledged past issues and gripes with the game and hoped this would help them to enjoy the game as it meant to be.

I was very impressed that Garriot did this, when the games sales were already cold from being out more than a year and no one expected any further enhancements for the game. It might have been a year and half later, I forget exactly. But the patch so significantly improved the game experience that I really think Ultima 8 didn't get it's due credit. It's one of my favorite RPG's (and yes I've played the Ultima series from 1- 8 starting with my original Apple 5 1/2 inch floppy disks on my Apple IIe computer). Playing Ultima 8, I remember "oohing and aahing" during the summon animations for my elementals. The hand drawn 2d graphics and were amazing at the time (and I'm sure they still are). I loved the game so much I later bought another copy just incase my original somehow got corrupted.

While definitely the U6 to U7 games with expansions do offer a longer, bigger and more epic and satisfying experience overall, Ultima 8, if taken for what it is, is definitely a world class game and one that I'm sad that no expansion game was made (although it was planned but ditched due to the public outcry of U8 at the time, less than expected sales). What a shame. This game also showed how much Garriot really appreciated his fans that he'd work long hours to improve the game and help reconnect to his fanbase.

update: you know on second thought...I think his patch was actually released more than 2 years past the original game release. I remember thinking how surprised everyone was that there was a new patch. Anyone remember exactly?
gildedgirth is offline                         Send a private message to gildedgirth
Old 08-02-2005, 05:37 AM   #78
Retarded Fly

i need help, when i install U8 it says "you may not have enouhg memory to install this game. hit any butan to exit" so i do and i fill out the sound card and all and hit install thin......nothing happins. the window goes dawn and NOTHING HAPPINS .
so if you know what to do help me. :help:
P.S. i have win XP.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #79

O. i got it now never mind.
k:

Old 08-02-2005, 10:15 PM   #80
uffbulle
Lurker

completely agree with the long post above

i actually never finished the game because of those stupid jump parts, and lost interest before hearing about the patch..now i can enjoy the game like i should've..6 years ago!
uffbulle is offline                         Send a private message to uffbulle