Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Default Hearts of Iron 2

In HoI2: Doomsday, im having a TON of fun.

Game started in 1936, Im the Soviet Union. i didn't really build an army until late 1936, when things finnally statred being made. Around mid 1936 i placed troops around the borders, then simultanously invaded Estonia, and Latvia. The initial war was pretty rough. Estonian forces were easily defeated, but Latvia was surprisingly strong and holding out. The war raged throughout 1936 and into 1937. Estonia fell in '36 and i had my units fighitng the Partisans there, while me and Latvia went back and forth over the Soviet/Latvia/Estonia borders. In around Febuary 1937 i beat Latvia because i finnally had a ton of troops, but the near the very end of the war, Lithuania piped in, and they actually had a fairly large army for asmall country, probably 8 or so divisions. So on I prepared a little operation, set to be on june 5th, 1937, that all my troops on the former Latvia/lithuania border would attack lithuanians there, it went more then well. Then throughout June-August i bombed the crap out of the lithuanians, then on August 5th, 1937 i prepared a final strike, and my units attacks all OVER lithuania. during this time i also installed a new goverment in Estonia and declared military rule sover it by august 10th, I captured the capital of Lithuania, and annexed it

GOOD LORD THIS GAMES ADDICTIVE now, once Germany attacks Poland, if they do, ill also attack poland, and make a really strong frontline then sneak attack germany if i can..im tihnking about Annexing afghanistan too, and also somehow getting a fleet to Cuba, and annexing Cuba.. That'd be sweet. Cubas a top priority (must happen before 1940) personal objective i want to do, so.. no matter what there'll prolly be war with Cuba caues my spie just ain't doing the trick

Anyways, anyone out there have HoI2?

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 10-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Yes Or Nay
Forum hobbit

Well I have my copy of Hearts of Iron 2 with Doomsday somewhere. Used to play it A LOT back in the day. Japan was my player, easily conquered both Chinas completely and then went on historically with Pearl Harbor. And got a sound trashing by USA which was very unbalanced past 1941.

Why did conquering the three Baltic States take you so long? That's a matter of half a year conquering them all if carefully planned. Bah, to hells with careful planning, these three ain't got no defenses, their divisions are obsolete, air force non-existant and without allies. Try making pockets you'll see that it's much easier to defeat enemies then.

And good luck getting Cuba, you'll find that it's nearly impossible to get there, because your naval limit from your nearest base isn't enough to get to Cuba. And if you declare war on Cuba, USA guarantees it's independence I think, so you'll get attacked by them, and can say goodbye to passage through Panama. So, if you ain't got allies in South America or have conquered land near enough to assault them amphibiously, you'll need to forget it quick.

But yeah, the game IS wonderful and addictive.
Yes Or Nay is offline                         Send a private message to Yes Or Nay
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

ive only had the game 2 days, Thats why it took me sdo long :\ im stil ltrying to figure out how economy and stuff works. Also i plan for Cuba to be coup'd and then give me full milatary control so atleast i have some communists in North America, too bad my coup chance is only 0 right now D: how do i get it up?

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 10-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Yes Or Nay
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubb View Post
ive only had the game 2 days, Thats why it took me sdo long :\ im stil ltrying to figure out how economy and stuff works. Also i plan for Cuba to be coup'd and then give me full milatary control so atleast i have some communists in North America, too bad my coup chance is only 0 right now D: how do i get it up?
Everyone was beginning with the game once. Remember my very first day I played as my home country, Slovakia, had around 4 divisions, all obsolete and technology was at a very low level too. Everything took forever to do, so since then in every single game I played I clocked the speed to maximum.

If I remember correctly you need to influence the nation, to get their disposition towards you up and the coup chance rises with it. Cuba will give you military control only if they are in your military alliance (in this case, the Comintern). Coup them, get them to join, and then military control them (the last step is not so important, their naval bases are far more important as they give you a new base of operations, so the naval limit of your ships expands).

And a warning, don't attack the US of A after 1941. Best to do it around 1939 before things turn hot in Europe and after Japan invades China so USA will be on the lookout and focus their attention on the defense of their Pacific holdings. And it needs long careful planning as well.
Yes Or Nay is offline                         Send a private message to Yes Or Nay
Old 13-05-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
red_avatar
Administrator

I bought this game ages ago but, while I love such games, I just never got enough time to invest to make it worth playing. Such games deserve effort to get the hang of or they're no fun.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar