Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Default Monster Hunter Tri (Wii)

Well, it has been very long since I had any interest in posting in this forum. :P

I have found a game which haven't been launched recently but still saves the Wii for me: Monster Hunter Tri.

While this is certainly not a 10/10 game, it is close enough. And by "close enough", I rather mean "the best game I've come to play so far on any modern console".

Since this game is not new, I'll pass the long introduction. Simply put, you are a hunter who hunts preys and monsters in special locations and you start up by trying your knife on lesser preys until you can build back your "quest camp" (which is pretty much the tutorial of the game), then you are sent on missions (called quests) which require you to fulfill specific objectives. All along you are free to take your time to explore the land(s), gather supplies and resources which both help your village grow and help you by allowing you to build more powerful armor and weapons which in turn will help you get strong enough to tackle the more, far more powerful monsters later on.

The game have an online mode which I have tried, which is pretty much a copy of the offline play but with stronger monsters and the possibility to play up to 4 players at the same time. There is some extra stuff online so it is actually worthwhile to play it. Or you could simply beat the game offline and then go online to continue playing on a different pace.

While the game refers constantly to quests, this game is not a RPG. It is clearly a full blown action game melded with a solid story which really bring all the events together in the game. The real reason why there is so much reference to quests is because this is actually an asiatic port (from Japan I think but I might be wrong). Which also explain why I grabbed this copy so late... I suspect a low number was shipped around here as the game is fully (and remarkably well) translated in French which mean that I got actually pretty lucky to even find one (as per some of our newest laws, games needs to be translated at least somewhat in French before they can be sold around here. You can smell the Japanese sense of perfection at work here, which is why I suspect the game originate from Japan).

I have tackled monsters up to the Lagiacrus until now... Next on my todo list is a Gigginox, which kind of "scared" the living shit out of me the first time I met one. At that time I was still using a bowgun and I have come to realize that while the bowgun is great against small preys up to about a Royal Ludroth in size, lack of armor defense and slowness of fire doesn't cut it for larger preys. I remember I killed my first Lagiacrus with about 20 seconds left on the 50 minutes timer... Was really too close. I have thus watched a few videos on Youtube since then and switched to other weapons. I particularly like the lance and shield and will probably be using this a lot in the near future.

So... Anybody played this game too? Any tips, any comments on the game?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Hummmm.. I take it nobody else care about this game?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Not that I don't care, I simply don't own a Wii or this game. I used to own a copy of Monster Hunter on the PSP and man was that a grind fest and a half. While I did enjoy it, once I checked online and found my simple playing style was never going to get me to the end of the game...and that I would need to study and practice certain monsters and know a ton of info on them I put the game down.

Simply put a fun game but one that can be ruined if you don't have the time to put into it. I don't...at least that is true for the PSP version.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 05-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Why, that is exactly why this game is fun!

The Wii version I am playing don't have that much grinding in it. It's mostly all hunter skill of the biggest monsters. Once you know what to do and what not and that you have studied the big monsters behavior enough then you can avoid most of their attack more of the time. That is what makes the difference.

After that, you can basically master your weapons. There is also an "arena mode" which allow you to fight big monsters with a friend or solo on a timer... And the first few times I was boggled on how they expected me to beat the Great Jaggi (first big monster) in under 2 minutes and a half.

Heck, after a while I did better than that still.

This is what make this game way better than the more moderns ones. It is not newbie friendly. It is not made to be easy. It is not made to be completed in 4 hours tops.

It is a real game.
Old 22-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

My time counter is reaching 140 hours and I'm still going strong.

I have to say though that it is because I have access to online play. Without online play I would probably have gone thru the game roughly around 80 hours.

Still, that's already 10 times longer than what I got used to with "modern" gaming.