Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-09-2009, 04:38 AM   #241
Incappucciato d'Ombra
A Shadow in the shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrazor View Post
how the hell do i get this game i have searched for it to purchase and cannot find it anywhere
You can buy MAX + MAX II at GOG.com (will cost $ 5.99)
Incappucciato d'Ombra is offline                         Send a private message to Incappucciato d'Ombra
Old 08-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #242
Jrogna
Lurker

Hi everybody,

I have both of them original, but MAX2 it is not really up to MAX. I could play MAX in WXP under DOXBox but with a slight delay sometimes, full sounds, anyway I am going to give it a try again (new PC rig being built now) and I will post here any config I find working OK.

Regards

J.
Jrogna is offline                         Send a private message to Jrogna
Old 03-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #243
D_kool
Default Quizz

This version on GOG.com is better that the original that I have it?
Some new patches? Is error free? I have that issue with freezing!
What is different?

Thank you!

Old 09-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #244
maxounou

Default Version 1.56

I'm the proud owner of 1.04, which is still full of bugs (assertions fail, mostly). I've heard of v1.56 thanks to you, what is this version ? Is it unofficial ? Is it supposed to fix anything ?
What is the version GoG is selling ?

In my version, captured alien units don't get experience upgrades. I remember that some years ago, when I first played MAX, they did ; does anyone know why ?

Thanks !
maxounou is offline                         Send a private message to maxounou
Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #245
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxounou View Post
I'm the proud owner of 1.04, which is still full of bugs (assertions fail, mostly). I've heard of v1.56 thanks to you, what is this version ? Is it unofficial ? Is it supposed to fix anything ?
What is the version GoG is selling ?

In my version, captured alien units don't get experience upgrades. I remember that some years ago, when I first played MAX, they did ; does anyone know why ?

Thanks !
It's written at the bottom. They sell ver 1.04
Old 09-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #246
maxounou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
It's written at the bottom. They sell ver 1.04
Thanks for having read that for me
I've read on the MAXR forums that v1.56 could be an alpha version, maybe something inbetween 1.01 and 1.02... Which would somewhat makes sense, despite the number "56" being greater than "04".

If anyone got a clue about aliens not getting any experience, I'd be interested in discussing it.
maxounou is offline                         Send a private message to maxounou
Old 22-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #247
Default Conclusion

What a pity, the major technical problems to run that game in DOSBOX are solved, and this thread could deal about more gameplay specific questions.

A lot of people are likely to get this, so why not taking $ 5.99 for it?

... OK copyrights are copyrights and Interplay has to pay its programmers too.

--- To give a conclusion: ---

The first downloadable version here on this site was considered to be corrupted. It can be doubted that the corruption occurred by uploading the archive or before, for several reasons:
1. Those files had been on the ftp- server for several days, enough time to become corrupted. The archive has been built by a fresh installation (directly from the original CD, with patch to v 1.04) and was immediately uploaded.
2. The archive had been tested before uploading (extracting and playing).
3. The technical problems described here did not change in any way after the archive has been replaced.

If there was any file, which looked good in the first place and turned out to be corrupted, this might also be a kind of copy protection. The game would try to open this file and has to work around its own crash (a so called "legal exception"). This works only in a real DOS environment! Well this is not more than an idea, but this was state of the Art (for copyprotection) 17 years ago and I know for sure that the CD is copy- protected by an unreadable sector.

A comprehensive tutorial can be found here: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...&postcount=137 (good work!)

The game should run under Win98, a common problem might be the proper definition of the working directory in the batch- and pif- files. Win98 tends to FORGET actualizing the paths when batch and pif files are moved!

There are actually 3 versions of the executable maxrun.exe depending from the installation type. The maxrun.bat has to guide the CD detection by parameters calling the maxrun.exe. Switching OFF the detection (-f%path%) does not work out with the "wrong" maxrun.exe.

The network ability does NOT include TCP/ IP (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...&postcount=161, you were right!). A direct connection by modem or com- port is possible, but not mentioned in the review. ... MEA CULPA!

For network ability the CD detection is ALWAYS activated! I haven't tried yet to work around this with a CD- image. A burnt CD- copy will do the job.

--- This game has two very nasty bugs! ---

1. If the number of units+ buildings+ actions+ waypoints... exceeds a certain level the game might freeze, when the round- end- counter times out. There are two possible solutions:
Reload the game and change anything (e.g. stop production, change unit destinations, destroy something...), so the game should hopefully bring down the calculations for the next opposite move, or
restart the game in a different environment (e.g. DOS- mode) so the problem might be bypassed.
2. Building on at least one CERTAIN square (somewhere near the eastern edge) makes the game crash! The number of unit or the type of building on this square DOES NOT matter. The game crashes, when the building is completed. If you are controlling the area, you could simply just plan not to build there. If your opponent controls the area, you are out of look.

Patching on V 1.04 does not iron it out! Maybe 1.59 is the version of the patch executable.

--- Some game hints ---

Alien artefacts cannot be destroyed and have no function at all instead of forming obstacles.
Alien units upgrade randomly and unpredictable, when they are damaged or by firing. Sometimes it takes almost eternal until an upgrade occurs, some units upgrade 4 or 5 times in a row. The subject of the upgrade is also randomly, amour and health is more likely, but I remember getting a tank with extra range, extra amour and 8 (!!!) shots per turn.
The AI is one of the best I've ever seen. If you cheat by reloading the game (e.g. if one of your infiltrators has been failed), the computer will remember what happened in this "alternate reality" and maybe retreats the unit you wanted to disable.

Old 24-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #248
bukimi
Forum hobbit

I have a problem with unlocking campaign missions in the game.

I complete the mission with success and get back to main menu. I click "new game" and I still have the same number of opened missions in campaign.

I had this problem between missions 4/5 and now I'm stuck on level 6 (so I should have 3 more missions to unlock).

There is no cheat code to unlock campaign. What can I do? Maybe someone has a save file with all missions unlocked?
bukimi is offline                         Send a private message to bukimi
Old 14-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #249
Unregistered-guest
Exclamation possible way around game freezes and crashes

Hi,

I played M.A.X. a lot during my youth and had a lot of fun with it.
The best way to get around the game freezes and crashes was switching back and forth between the 2 patch versions 1.03 and 1.04 - these patches just change two (for gameplay unimportant) readmes and the file maxrun.exe. Both of these versions of the game tend to crash but mostly in different situations. So what to do:

1) Installation:
- install the game
- update it to 1.03 with patch for 1.03
- update it to 1.04 with patch for 1.04 (this leaves the maxrun.exe from 1.03 as maxrun.000 in the MAX-Directory)
- play

2) going around a crash
- downgrade it to 1.03 (simply replace the maxrun.exe from 1.04 with maxrun.exe from 1.03 patch)
- load last savegame
- play till the next crash

If you don't want to do the copying bewteen the patches manually you may use a .BAT file like the following (put everything between the (--)lines in a file called REPATCH.BAT and use it like the PATCH.BAT from the official Pacthes):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@echo off

if not exist maxrun.exe goto :no_exe
if not exist maxrun.000 goto :got_no_old
if exist maxrun.new goto :got_new

echo Renaming active files to new files...
ren maxrun.exe maxrun.new
ren readme.txt readmet.new
ren readme.wri readmew.new

echo Renaming old files to active files...
ren maxrun.000 maxrun.exe
ren readmet.000 readme.txt
ren readmew.000 readme.wri

echo rePatch finished, downgrade successful.
goto :done

:no_exe
echo ##### ERROR! Unable to find maxrun.exe.
echo ##### Press any key to view patch instructions.
pause
type patch.txt

:got_new
echo ##### ERROR! New version of maxrun found.
echo ##### Delete all .new files and run repatch again.
pause

:got_no_old
echo ##### ERROR! No old version of maxrun found.
echo ##### Do not run this repatch again.

:done
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) repeat 2 in the different direction
- update it to 1.04 with patch for 1.04
- play till the next crash

Have fun!

Old 18-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #250
diego gr
Lurker

Default ONLINE THROUGH HAMACHI!!!!

Hey guys, I just want you to know that we are playing MAX online using Hamachi using its IPX simulation.
If you want to play, look up our facebook group called Mechanized Assault and Exploration,
or call me at diego4779 AT gmail DOT com

On top of that, there is a Russian group that programmed a copy from scratch called MAX Touch. It works on touchscreen cellphones. At this moment, the only way to play multi is hot seat, where each player have to end turn and pass the cellphone (or tablet) to the other player (or through saved games sent by email). Real-time multiplayer is under development (note: from scratch!)
Jah bless russians LOL
diego gr is offline                         Send a private message to diego gr