Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Lightweight Linux Distro

Hello folks,

I've been very disappointed last week when I installed the latest Ubuntu release, numbered 11.04 and had a message presented to me saying the equialent of "Your computer has deprecated". Their new user interface, or whatever you call it, "Unity" is too resource demanding. It lags as hell, to put it quickly. I can't even imagine what GNOME3 will need, since even GNOME2.6 had to be run in "safe mode" (every desktop effect turned off), and KDE had my PC sweat blood aswell. Before burning several disks for booting various distros without a point, I ask your help to find a reliable Linux variant for me.
I don't need it to do any kind of magic, I just want it to be able to browse the internet (excluding flash videos, as I know they just don't work on my PC from under Ubuntu), and maybe run some simple tools for coding. There's just only one thing I ask, if anyone has a particular distro in mind: I wouldn't like to install an old version of a distro. I've been using Linux more or less frequently since Ubuntu 9.10, and I can clearly remember it had serious flaws which they only repaired in the next versions.
Any ideas?

P.S.: I'm running Win XP and Ubuntu from two separate HDDs in dual boot mode via GRUB2, so the Linux OS could have app. 64 GBs of space to use. I could provide other info about my PC, but think of it as a Pentium 4 class piece of crap.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 15-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you want lightweight, how about Damn Small Linux?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
dosraider
Dismembered.

Whilst DSL is formidable to recover a lot from syscrashes I wouldn't advise it for daily use.
I would rather advise XUbuntu, and more specific ver 10.10.
It even runs pretty good here on my ol'laptop, P3-700MHZ/256MB RAM, now yeah, takes some time to startup applics, but is swell enough for the grandkids to listen to/download youtube crap.

And Tracker, my educated guess would be that it isn't that "P4" that is the problem, more probably a lack of 'enough RAM' for Ubuntu......

You also could try KUbuntu, lesser demanding than Ubuntu....

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 15-08-2011 at 03:15 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 15-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

@The Fifth Horseman: I took that one into account, but I assumed it wouldn't be suitable since it is too small to contain anything useful for me.

@dosraider: P4 refers to my CPU, as Pentium 4 processors had a clocktime of app. 2Ghz. Mine is an obscure one, an AMD Athlon at 1,7 Ghz. But yes, I believe I might have memory issues, as every error message refers to the software I'm running being unable to read/write certain addresses of the 512MB DDR RAM module.

I think I'll try the ones you mentioned, first Kubuntu, and if it won't be good enough, then I'll give Xubuntu a try.

EDIT: I downloaded Kubuntu and burnt a bootable disc, but it was way too slow for me. I think I'll go with DSL, I read that it can be used for everything I need, and the screenshots look good as well. But that is scheduled for tomorrow.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.

Last edited by Tracker; 15-08-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 15-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
I downloaded Kubuntu and burnt a bootable disc, but it was way too slow for me. I think I'll go with DSL, I read that it can be used for everything I need, and the screenshots look good as well. But that is scheduled for tomorrow.
Seeing your specs:
Quote:
@dosraider: P4 refers to my CPU, as Pentium 4 processors had a clocktime of app. 2Ghz. Mine is an obscure one, an AMD Athlon at 1,7 Ghz.
An AMD Athlon 1.7GHz / 512 MB should run Kubuntu without any glitch, and should be pretty fast.
But:
Quote:
I believe I might have memory issues, as every error message refers to the software I'm running being unable to read/write certain addresses of the 512MB DDR RAM module.
That's another matter.
My advise: run memtest, can get it free@
http://www.memtest86.com/
Errors must be zero. If you can't rely on your memory you can't trust your PC.
Sometimes it can help to get the module out , cleaning the contact surface with alcohol ( gently !! ) and stick it back in. And whilst you're there, clean up the inside of your PC if needed.

Believe me , if you can't run Kubuntu pretty fast on an AMD 1.7GHz/500MB there is something completely wrong with your PC.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 16-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, I have ran memtest before (back in the days of Ubuntu 9.10 I guess, when it still had it at the boot screen), and let it work for a whole afternoon, but there were no red sectors anywhere on the memory map (note that there were problems with my computer before and after that as well). I dunno what might be the problem. The RAM wasn't removed ever since it was plugged in, around in 2004 (I had a 256 MB RAM to start with, but later it was replaced with a single half gigabytes one). Besides, it's funny that two very different OSs, like Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP would produce similar problems - at least, Linux seems to have just as much bugs as Windows does...

Damn Small Linux: It looks nice and everything while running from CD, but the mouse doesn't work, and I couldn't find a fix yet.

EDIT: Cleaned RAM and placed it into another slot, awaiting results.

Last edited by Tracker; 16-08-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 28-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
silverfire

Send a message via Skype™ to silverfire

I'd recommend looking into Arch Linux.

Arch Linux

It lets you build the system from scratch, so you can customize it to do exactly what you need.

Might work for you if you use lxde or xfce.
silverfire is offline                         Send a private message to silverfire
Old 29-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
B-Wolf
Forum hobbit

Lubuntu is a very lightweight version of Ubuntu that suposedly uses less resources than Xubuntu.
The minimum requirements listed on the Lubuntu site are 128 megabytes of memory and a Pentium II processor.

Link to Lubuntu website http://lubuntu.net/

Last edited by B-Wolf; 29-09-2011 at 09:43 PM.
B-Wolf is offline                         Send a private message to B-Wolf
Old 30-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Wolf View Post
Lubuntu is a very lightweight version of Ubuntu that suposedly uses less resources than Xubuntu.
The minimum requirements listed on the Lubuntu site are 128 megabytes of memory and a Pentium II processor.

Link to Lubuntu website http://lubuntu.net/
Actually I'm currently not looking forward to install Linux as I'm using Win XP SP3 which is just fine right now. I must admit though I haven't heard about Lubuntu, so I might give it a try next time, thanks for the idea. Not to mention cleaning the RAM didn't help either, I just really don't know what is going on. But I don't really care anymore, if everything goes as planned I'll have a brand new laptop by december.

- Tracker

Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
B-Wolf
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Actually I'm currently not looking forward to install Linux as I'm using Win XP SP3 which is just fine right now. I must admit though I haven't heard about Lubuntu, so I might give it a try next time, thanks for the idea. Not to mention cleaning the RAM didn't help either, I just really don't know what is going on. But I don't really care anymore, if everything goes as planned I'll have a brand new laptop by december.

- Tracker
Good to hear. I hope you get your laptop.

After thinking about your memory problem though I am wondering if your computer has a built-in graphics card. If it does, it may be using some of your systems RAM and reducing the amount of RAM that is available to your operating system. It's just a theory, but I've seen this problem in a few computers.