Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #941
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Did you sign a temporary truce with aliens?

Just kiddin' Sorry but no idea. I finished this version from abandonia without problems
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 22-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #942
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Guess I'll just have to ignore this crashed UFO then, again...
Old 23-07-2014, 01:17 AM   #943
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Which is very bad since those crashed UFOs are really important... Well, not necessary to beat the game, but you loose some fun for sure. Can you at least get some of them, or all of them same behavior?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 23-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #944
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

IIRC this happens with unmanned UFOs? Double check if there are troops in your vehicle too.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #945
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

YES! 5th is correct. If it is early in the game, small UFOs are more often than big ones. Small ones are unmanned and there cannot be any battle with your squads. IIRC you can only "collect" them for later research. You need vehicle with some sort of cargo, not sure which one exactly.
Old 23-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #946
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
Can you at least get some of them, or all of them same behavior?
Yes I can. This has happened about 4 times during the game, which is only a small percentage of all the UFOs I've destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
IIRC this happens with unmanned UFOs? Double check if there are troops in your vehicle too.
Definitely not an unmanned UFO, it's one of those huge alien battleships. And my own vehicle is manned also. In fact I had this UFO and another crash earlier, sent my troops to the other UFO, played the mission, returned to base and then tried this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
YES! 5th is correct. If it is early in the game, small UFOs are more often than big ones. Small ones are unmanned and there cannot be any battle with your squads. IIRC you can only "collect" them for later research. You need vehicle with some sort of cargo, not sure which one exactly.
I'm only a few missions away from completing the game. So, I can "safely" ignore this UFO because I don't really need any points or alien equipment to sell for money.

Just wanted to know if there's a way to fix it since it's damn annoying when it happens in the beginning of the game. Taking down a UFO always costs you some money (and possible makes some organisations hostile) and when you can't start the mission you loose all the equipment you could sell or research.

Tried ignoring that UFO but now the fast forward button doesn't work. Maybe crashed alien battle/motherships are a special case which prevent you from using the fast forward (forcing you to deal with them)?

I can put the game on quadruple speed and then DOSBox to fast forward but it would still take several hours to finish a day in the game (and you'd have to keep the fast forward buttons pressed all the time).

Sigh, guess there's no other way than to revert back to an earlier save.

EDIT: Reverted to an earlier save, shot down the same UFOs again and everything works now. Seems like some kind of bug corrupted the game at some point which caused my problems...

OpenApoc is an open source remake of XCom3 (like OpenXCom for XCom1&2). The project is still very much under development but it was playable the last time I checked. I'm not sure if the game can be finished in OpenApoc yet.
http://openapoc.org/threads/how-to-s...-openapoc.221/

Last edited by Japo; 06-03-2019 at 09:03 AM.
zirkoni is offline                         Send a private message to zirkoni
Old 06-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #947
Japo
Autonomous human

I am playing this now. I had never got into it even though I loved the first X-com. Like many other people I found this game hard to start learning. I'm not sure why it feels so unwelcoming; once you take the effort to learn and start playing, you realize how similar the combat and base management engines are to the previous games.

All in all I'd say it's not a bad X-com game, other than this startup feeling, and the fact that the graphics SUCK so badly. I've seen the screenshots of this OpenApoc look much better, dunno if it's finished enough to play to the end. I might look at it for later replays.

I don't mind the city scenario, although I miss the global planet scape. The dystopian background politics are a very nice addition. I even found this fun play journal written as fan fiction.

I'm playing turn based tactics, even though I realize it makes some enemies much harder, such as brain suckers and hyperworms. I think real time might be ok and fun but would push me to band my soldiers together, while I like to save time by dividing them in 3 or 4 teams to scout the locations. I can't see myself managing separate squads in real time, scrolling back from one to the other as they are done moving; perhaps I just have to try it. I wish there was the option to switch back from turn-based to real-time in the middle of the battle, not just chosing either at the start.

I like that the starting Megapol armor is much tougher and gives my guys much better survivability than in X-com 1, specially at the start.

Just started kicking alien and Sirian ass, almost no technology... Like Trump says, "we'll see how it goes."