Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
saibot216
Super Freak

Unhappy Gaming Installation Troubles

So I recently got a copy of this game called Redline, or as it was known in Europe Redline: Gang Warfare 2066, and I'm having trouble installing the game and I am hoping that some of my fellow old school gaming cohorts could help me out.

My computer is a Windows 7, so it's always a stretch to see if the game will actually work on the native OS (instead of trying to run it on my Windows 98 virtual machine). The autorun will run, but when I try to run the setup, my computer attempts to load it and then just gives up. I don't even get an error message, it literally just gives up. This happens even with the compatibility settings set to Windows 95 or 98.

On my Windows 98 virtual machine, the game will successfully install, but when I try to run it, my virtual machine tells me that I must insert the disc in the drive, when the disc is already in the drive.

Any help?
saibot216 is offline                         Send a private message to saibot216
Old 14-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Just some ideas I picked up along similar problems for myself:

- set the installation to the right compatibility-mode IF it isn't successful under Win7 basic settings.
- run the executable as ADMIN.
- skip the autorun, and run directly the installation-file, and the starting executable. For some games/programs this shortcut is a must, else you might end up nothing happening, some error-code, or just unsuccessful installation.

If none of these help, you might want to ask your problem on a fan-site of the program. Low chance anyone is still active on 'em, but you know...
Old 15-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
saibot216
Super Freak

Unforunately there are no fansites.
saibot216 is offline                         Send a private message to saibot216
Old 17-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Maxaxle

Have you tried anything like Daemon Tools Lite, or MagicDisc (basically DT Lite but freeware and open-source)?
Maxaxle is offline                         Send a private message to Maxaxle
Old 17-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot216 View Post
On my Windows 98 virtual machine, the game will successfully install, but when I try to run it, my virtual machine tells me that I must insert the disc in the drive, when the disc is already in the drive.
Is your optical drive in VPC the first after the HDs ?
Ex:
If you have only a C partition in VPC optical must be D
If you have C-D-E-F HD partitions in VPC optical must be G

Do you mount a physical CD or image?
Same here, must be the first optical.
If CD image try mounting in virtual drive (directly in host) and mount as first optical in VPC.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 17-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
saibot216
Super Freak

@dosraider: I mount a physical CD that reads the disc from the drive that it is on my Windows 7.

@Maxaxle: I have not tried either of those, but I have had troubles with DT before.
Old 17-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot216 View Post
@dosraider: I mount a physical CD that reads the disc from the drive that it is on my Windows 7.
That's ok.
When you look in VPC is it the first drive after the HD ??
How weird it may seem, some games will only find the game CD if mounted as first optical after HDs..... depends how it accesses files on CD, if it leaves all to the OS (Windows) there isn't usually a problem, if it uses the older dos routines it will mostly only look at the first optical drive. Devs laziness .....

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 18-02-2014, 07:10 AM   #8
saibot216
Super Freak

Launched VPC, went into my computer and the disc drive (or is it disk drive?) is drive D after the HD, which is C.
Old 18-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
dosraider
Dismembered.

That's OK then.
Probably means there is a copy protection interfering.
Solution is usually find a 'no cd' crack, but I can't find anything for that game :/

... or find a better CD image created by someone who really knows what is needed to create a valid image (MDF .... ). Same prob, not much to find about that game :/

Afraid I can't help further, sorry.

[Edit]
The last thing you could try is on an ol'PC with W98 ... usually can learn a lot comparing the before/after files / reg what a game needs to find to run.
Not that it helps you much, of course not all of us have a series of ol'PCs-laptops gathering dust on the attic.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 18-02-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 18-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Hmm, really, I forgot that you can simply get no-CD...

Ok, then solution must be here:

http://m0001.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_redline.shtml