Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #21
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Sounds like you caught on one of those pre-built supermarket PC's.
256 MB RAM? Pssh. Anything below 512 is a bad idea, personally I invested in 1 GB and am quite happy I did so. Likely the store also gave you very slow memory - wouldn't be surprised if it's PC2100.
40 GB HDD? An 80-gig HD would cost only $5 more.
And I know what I'm saying - right now I've almost completely clogged my 250-gig drive.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #22
chainsoar
Master Debater

Actually an 80GB PC would've cost me nearly £200 more what with all the other stuff they get attached to them. I had a budget of £350, and this PC cost me £236. You can't really beat a deal like that. Plus I got a Lexmark printer scanner and copier for £30 when I bought this. And Norton half price. What you're missing here is that to me, this PC is a HUGE improvement over what I had before. Compare -

Pentium III
650Mhz
14GB HD
128MB RAM

Now I've got

Pentium 4
2.8Ghz
40GB HD
256MB RAM

Anyways, if I have any issues with RAM or HD space in the future, I'll just buy some upgrades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 21-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #23
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Actually an 80GB PC would've cost me nearly £200 more what with all the other stuff they get attached to them. [/b]
Not neccesarily. In some stores you can ask for certain customizations in your PC.

The very fact they gave you a 40-gig drive is in my eyes a rip-off.
Actual price difference between 40 and 80-gig drive as individual parts is negligible. If you don't believe me, go to your nearest computer store and check price listings for HDD's.

In other words, the store has stuck you with a 40-gb drive primarily because people just don't buy these anymore. Who would, when you can have twice that size for only a fraction of price increase?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #24
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

On my back up machine I have a 12 Gb hdd, but after installing all the stuff I need, I only have like 0.5 Mb left, resulting in a corrupted fat and files, due to swap and whatever. I can't even defragment or scan for errors on that hdd...

My "main frame" is a 1.4 GHz, 256 ram, 160 Gb hdd which is more than plenty for me, except it laughs hysterically at me when I try to run Falcon 4.0 Allied Force with full details.
Old 21-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #25
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

160 GB? Right now I've got 250 and 80 GB drives installed. And both are nearly completely filled up.
As soon as I can get the cash for a PSU that will put out sufficient juice for installing a 120-gigger, I'm doing that too (one waiting for installation right there).

-- Reed Richards