Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 06:06 PM   #21
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
i use Word and there can't be mistakes
Putting a lot of trust in MicroSoft there, bud - I wouldn't recommend it. If you don't want them changed we'll try not to, but if we spot something we'll ask you about it.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 08-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #22
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I think i have 2/3 reviews floating around, feel free to edit them.

Would have given permission before... I thought I had.

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 08-07-2005, 06:31 PM   #23
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

According to my list, you already have k:
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 08-07-2005, 08:00 PM   #24
Triton

I thought we lost all our rights to our reviews once we submitted them? If that's so, then why are you asking for our permission for you to edit our reviews? Like I've said to others before, there's no point in reviewers granting permission for review editing because the editors will do what they want anyway.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:13 PM   #25
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Quote:
I thought we lost all our rights to our reviews once we submitted them?
Well, you tell me. Did you think that? If so, you are correct.

Quote:
If that's so, then why are you asking for our permission for you to edit our reviews?
Courtesy.

Quote:
Like I've said to others before, there's no point in reviewers granting permission for review editing because the editors will do what they want anyway.
Well, no. The admins have the final say, of course. And we lowly editors are not out to get you or anyone else. If we run across a sentence like "The game is forcing player to run deeper and deeper into pathetic world of overpopulated earth," we'll change it to something like "This game forces the player to travel deeper and deeper into the disturbing world of an overpopulated earth." If we see that the review was written by someone we don't like, we may add, "but I feel an unnatural attraction to goats and other farm animals, so what do I know?" However, it is very rare for us to do this. If you genuinely have a problem with something we've edited, you are of course free to take it up with the admin of your choice. Given that the admins are human beings, previous forum behavior may help or harm your case. If you're generally well-respected and present your case in a calm and coherent manner, the admin in question is probably a lot more likely to be sympathetic than if you're widely recognized as a whiny jerk and fill up said admin's inbox with messages that read "GRAMMER NATZIES R TEH SUXOR!!!!1!!" That's just the way it is. (Note that this is speculation. I am not qualified to speak for the admins.)
Old 08-07-2005, 09:31 PM   #26
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well there have been some mistakes in my reviews (some were ironed out by the grammer squad - great job you're doing guys and galls), but I like to be notified if this happens.

1) I can analizy my own mistakes and try to learn from them.

2) The grammer squad may have changed it into something I would never say (corrected it wrong). So I'd explain further what I was trying to say and the edited review would be re-edited and then the changes would be put on the site.

Yes - the reviews we submit do become the property of abandonia, but they are still our own reviews. So if a significant change is made I can still demand them to say who made the change. As long as my name is at the botom of a review I should have some say about it, otherwise people are actually putting words in my mouth (unless if the parts edited are marked and signed by the person who changed them).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 08-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #27
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That ^ is precisely how we've been working; anyone who asks to be notified receives a copy of our edit and is free to question edits or ask for explanation, and we'll listen to what they have to say, but if the majority of the grammar guys disagree with them we'll try to persuade them but eventually overrule them if they're intransigent. We're trying to correct mistakes and improve readability, not rewrite them all - if we wanted to do that why ask for them to be submitted in the first place?
Old 08-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #28
Triton

I don't really like this editing system. I think that the editors should be reduced to an advisory role and recommend to the reviewer possible changes that they feel are needed (unless they want the editors to edit everything for them).

From my experience, the one editor who "consulted" with me was rather rude and arrogant, and refused to acknowledge most of the challenges I had posed to his corrections to one of my reviews. I had listed several outstanding circumstances in one review and explained what I thought was wrong with the changes they had made, and I was met with an holier-than-thou attitude. I don't think I should have to go through all the brass just because some editor with a chip on his shoulder the size of Alaska decided he wanted to play God with my reviews.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:48 PM   #29
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I wouldn't describe pointing out to you that all 3 of us disagreed with you on certain points while accepting and immediately changing approximately half of the things you mentioned, only to be met with aggressive flaming, a "holier-than-thou" attitude.

EDIT: And they weren't "my" corrections, there are several pages of discussion of that particular review with contribution from 3 members.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:49 PM   #30
Chris
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Triton@Jul 8 2005, 10:38 PM
I don't really like this editing system.* I think that the editors should be reduced to an advisory role and recommend to the reviewer possible changes that they feel are needed (unless they want the editors to edit everything for them).

From my experience, the one editor who "consulted" with me was rather rude and arrogant, and refused to acknowledge most of the challenges I had posed to his corrections to one of my reviews.* I had listed several outstanding circumstances in one review and explained what I thought was wrong with the changes they had made, and I was met with an holier-than-thou attitude.* I don't think I should have to go through all the brass just because some editor with a chip on his shoulder the size of Alaska decided he wanted to play God with my reviews.
Many people around here have English for second or even third language, you know. So corrections are needed and helpful to keep the site in shape.

The grammar squad (or other people fixing some errors) won't do this with an evil attitude. They just try to impove the standard of the site. Maybe you have English as your first languge, but there might still be some minor errors while typing or writing a review. Sometimes it is just a single expression, which doesn't fit properly or for which the editor has some better expression at hand. Noone wants to dosgrace a reviewer's work here. You should just take them as a "good advice" IMO.

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Closed Thread