Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: should gaming companies make more point and click adventure games?
Yes 32 91.43%
No 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-04-2005, 09:01 AM   #31
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I like single player FPS games and adventure games. Today I was playing the demo of Simon the Sorcerer, and just earlier than that I was playing Call of Duty, I enjoy them both greatly.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 25-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #32
yewsef

Point and Click is just too simple for today's technology. I'd say, yeah bring back point and click adventures, and something to it. Maybe some action like Full Throttle or Monkey Island 3 (sea battles) or some RolePlaying. I really loved Vampires The Masquerade: Bloodlines, it reminds me of these adventure names, but its not only pick-up times, talk to people, solve puzzles... you can fight and roleplay too.
yewsef is offline                         Send a private message to yewsef
Old 25-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #33
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

I don't know if it's a matter of simplicity it's just the fact that with the sort of games that are out today and the way they get advertised, it can get hard to appeal to people to pick up and buy this sort of genre of game, but I think it can be done, with the right appeal and style of a game, it could work.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 25-04-2005, 04:03 PM   #34
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by yewsef@Apr 25 2005, 07:00 AM
Point and Click is just too simple for today's technology. I'd say, yeah bring back point and click adventures, and something to it. Maybe some action like Full Throttle or Monkey Island 3 (sea battles) or some RolePlaying. I really loved Vampires The Masquerade: Bloodlines, it reminds me of these adventure names, but its not only pick-up times, talk to people, solve puzzles... you can fight and roleplay too.
Adventure + action + some or no strategy = RPG :whistle:
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 25-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #35
NrmMyth
Hero Gamer

Who voted NO... ??? :blink:
Old 25-04-2005, 11:15 PM   #36
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I voted no because I don't see it working if they did bring them back.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 26-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #37
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by a1s@Apr 22 2005, 08:54 PM
didn't the guys behind runaway go defunct? which is sad by the way, because it'a a very fun game!
Dear a1s, the guys of Pendulo Studios are still alive!

If you want to see some screenshots of Runaway 2, go to this site: Runaway2

Enjoy k:
Old 26-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #38
NrmMyth
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Apr 26 2005, 01:15 AM
I voted no because I don't see it working if they did bring them back.
Your opinion. I accept it. k:
Old 26-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #39
LordHart

How can you all be such adventure game fans, yet not know about the AGI, SCI or AGS fan communities? Just because adventure games are commercially stagnant does not mean they are dead, as they are now in the hands of the one group who know what they want, the fans.

Hell, you could probably make your own games if you want to, even if you have no programming experience (especially with AGS). Myself, I did only a small amount of programming classes in high school and i've found AGS extremely easy to work with (at the moment, I have two games released (Brad Bradson and Lifeboat: Story of Cedrick), and a fair few more on the way). The only thing I find difficult is drawing the characters and their animations.

You want to play some quality games?

Kings Quest I VGA
Kings Quest II+ VGA (both KQI and KQII are done by ADGI, formerly known as Tierra)
5 Days a Stranger
7 Days a Skeptic (both done by the masterful Ben 'Yahtzee' Crowshaw)
Apprentice
Apprentice II (both AI and AII done by Geoff Khan)
Cirque de Zale
No Action Jackson
The Uncertainty Machine
Pleurghburg: Dark Ages (one of the best adventure games you will find)
A Friend Indeed: Adventures of Cosmo and JP
Adventures of Fatman (which was the first and so far, only AGS game to be released commercially until the creator classed it as abandonware :P)
Bestowers of Eternity (by the AGS legend Dave Gilbert)
Earwig is Angry
Mourir en Mer (an absolutely brilliant game!)
Larry Vales: Traffic Division
Larry Vales II: Dead Girls Are Easy
Maniac Mansion Deluxe (a graphical update of the original MM)
Permanent Daylight
Satan Quest
Leisure Suit Larry II (a port which adds point and click ability instead of a text-parser)
Grrr, Bearly Sane!
Perils of Poom
Quest for Glory 4 1/2
Quest for Orgy
Rode Kill: A Day In The Life
Beyond Reality
The New Adventures of Zak McKracken (a fandmade sequel made by the same person who did the update to Maniac Mansion).
Rob Blanc I, II and III
Sol
Alien Rape Escape

And any of the Reality on the Norm games (of which there are over 30) which is a collaborative effort by the AGS community, where anyone can make a game based on the series which is set in the small town Reality (which is on the River Norm).

Hell, thats only a small list of some of the top AGS games that have been released. Then you can keep an eye out on the long anticipated Indiana Jones & the Fountain of Youth which is looking to be the sequel to IJ:FOA that everyone has always wanted.

Then you have some classic AGI games like Exposure, Space Quest 0: Replicated, Space Quest: The Lost Chapter, or the lame-but-cool *meep* Quest I and II.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk is the AGS website (where you can find all the games listed above), http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php is its forum (where you can follow development on games and the engine itself), whilst http://www.mega-tokyo.com/forum/index.php is the forum and pretty much the only place to follow both AGI and SCI game developments.

Remember. Adventure games aren't dead as long as we don't allow them to die, and seeing as there are so many freeware adventure games coming out each year, then they are in very good hands. k:
LordHart is offline                         Send a private message to LordHart
Old 26-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #40
NrmMyth
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by LordHart@Apr 26 2005, 03:49 PM
Where could we see your games?