Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #281
wendel66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
You mean you got a Windows version of that game? Seems they removed small things like that from the Collector series. It's not a first time something like that happens with a Windows version of a game, I also own a Windows version of MechWarrior II where a secret mech which can be selected through cheats lacks some data so editing it's parts / weapons crashes the game. Same things occur also in game compilation packs, like Game-Hits 2 where Lords of Magic Special Edition and Heretic II have been cut out some rather important parts like creature description and some game data in first and complete CD music in latter.
You might simply consider playing the original X-Wing CD-Rom Edition for Ms-Dos through DosBox which should work flawlessly as X-Wing isn't a very ressource demanding game.

What I have found about DosBox is that it does not like USB Joysticks and this game is a pain to play with just a keyboard.
wendel66 is offline                         Send a private message to wendel66
Old 23-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #282
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendel66 View Post
What I have found about DosBox is that it does not like USB Joysticks
What seems the be the problem?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #283
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You need to configure the joystick in game. That is if you can actually use the joystick in game. Not all DOS games had joystick compatibility...

I remember using a joypad back in the days of X-Wing... That old pad was however plugged in a port behind the computer.

Beside, the mouse always been more precise and faster. It was only because my arm was getting very tired after a month of playing that I switched to it... It was a ball mouse too, which was way heavier and more cumbersome than today numeric mouses.
Old 23-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #284
Japo
Autonomous human

DOSBox will have no problem finding your joystick, as long as Windows itself does; check the control panel. The console (the second annoying window DOSBox has) should say if a joystick is detected.

It's possible that DOSBox finds the joystick, but for some reason its output isn't mapped to anything. I think it happened to me. Press Ctrl+F1 to access the DOSBox keyboard and joysticks mapper.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #285
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Talking Wouldn't It Be Nice

Maybe EA'll do us a favor and release this as freeware like the Command and Conquer early games. Wouldn't that be nice?
Sadly, I doubt Disney is too keen on putting this game in the world for free distribution. After all, it was CRAZY popular. Why give away a potential Cash grab? (SEE: GOG.COM RE-SELL)
LOL I really like GOG and what they do, but I know that they are the absolute WORST thing to meantion on a abandonware site, since they "take" "your" Games away.

Sometimes on these sites it becomes more about getting a free game then what it should be about:

1. Preserving Classic games

2. Being able to enjoy classic games without searching for a lifetime or paying out lots of $$$ for a rare copy

3. Providing support and resources (To a certain extent) for titles that no longer have them

4. Introducing new generations of people to many games of the past, easily and cheaply (FREE!)

What it's NOT NOT NOT about:

1. Getting a free game because you feel like the company doesn't deserve the money anymore

2. Downloading free full versions because you feel like you're doing something illegal and sleazy (Which is debatable, and not really accurate)

3. Providing a means to distribute full version software to everyone because companies shouldn't be able to control software like that

4. Downloading and trying to sell people bootlegs

That one reason why I like this site. Most people don't excessively hate on GOG.com here, and Abandonia does not provide downloads of games that are still being sold.

In my opinion, if you hate gog, then you are more of a "Free Game Lover" than a "Classic Game Lover".

To me, when GOG.com gets permission to sell something, it's just like passing the flag.
They are up-holding all 4 of my "Things it should be about", (Which I know sounds self-centered and contrived... ) and actually making a business out of it. Part of the way they can and sometimes do introduce it so well to a new generation is that everything is ready to go for whoever buys it. No "Mount" commands, nothing. Install, double click, just like every 8-12 year-old expects.

I do understand, it is kind of to very annoying when a game suddenly gets "Stolen" by GOG, and it can feel as if it was "Stolen".

Remember, though, that none of these games are yours or the community's.

The only reason you get to have them for free is because we believe they are abandoned. In truth, it's a sad, not good, thing when a game gets abandoned. That means the developer is leaving them in the dust.

Some people wish things like "Lucasarts should loosen up on their games".

If they abandon them completely, though, that would only be making them fall into obscurity faster. Perhaps, they could be preserved through extensive downloading and back-ups. The reality is, though, that once a game is abandoned, it's lucky to even get here. Most games don't get here. How long it survives is a "?" too. If a dev continues to not allow games like X-wing fall into sites like abandonia, that could, in fact, be contributing to it's preservation. It means they still care, they are still going to keep an archive copy, and sometimes they will even still support it.
That's what everyone wants a game to have, right? Support? Recognition? As soon as it's abandoned, it may have little to none of those things.

You can also argue that if a Game dev holds it back from the public, it means that the copies that do exist will fade away by the time they are willing to let it go.

It is true, at a certain point, a dev should just give up.
Trying to keep a 1988 game all to yourself is a bit much, and some companies may not even realize that they're doing it.
They may just protect it once and forget about it, never realizing the horrible injustice they may be doing to the game and it's fans.

I doubt Lucasarts is this way, though.

I am speaking in general, however. In fact, I actually went a bit off topic in this post.
I may re-post part of it somewhere else that actually needs it. At least you know what I think! (As if you wanted to know)

It's always great to get a free game, and that's really cool. But if it becomes all about getting a free full game and saying the companies don't deserve anything, it becomes questionable. That kindof thinking IS OKAY, alone, by itself, but it can lead to some other activities like downloading old "Abandoned" movies off the web, downloading newer/ new-ish "Not really that Abandoned" games, or even just downloading last year "fulls" off the web.

Anyway, to wrap up, I love abandonia, and the forums, but I don't agree with any Anti-Gog comments. (Depending on what your comment is) It's kind of the wrong place to share this, but for some reason it seemed fitting enough.

I hope I don't offend anyone to the brink of insanity.

Don't take it TOO personally...

Last edited by StaaViinsZ; 03-09-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Smilie Glitch & Accuracy
StaaViinsZ is offline                         Send a private message to StaaViinsZ
Old 03-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #286
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Hey, you're preaching to the choir.
Doesn't mean all of our users quite get the idea though.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #287
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Hey, you're preaching to the choir.
Doesn't mean all of our users quite get the idea though.
Yeah that was another unnecessary wall I wrote, but I thought it had the right Ideas. I guess you're right about that, though. I tried to say it in the post, most Abandonia users are indeed "The choir" of Abandonware sites. That's why I really should re-post most of that in some other discussion that actually may need it. Good Post!

LOL I thought it was funny when I went "Selling Bootlegs" PICARD FACEPALM.

I'm just here to subscribe...

"...this forum seems like a bunch of jumbled posts all bound together, except a toddler has been tearing "Posts" out of the "Binder"."

"And here we are, in the shadows, patiently awaiting a reply to appear, in it's natural habitat."

"Why quote someone else when you alone have enough ridiculous posts for the whole forum's user base?" -All Quotes StaaViinsZ

Last edited by verek_22; 07-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
StaaViinsZ is offline                         Send a private message to StaaViinsZ
Old 06-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #288
starfiretbt

Default matching speed in x-wing

I remember playing this game when I was young, but I remember a button letting me match the speed with the craft I was targeting. I don't see that button in the manual nor do I find it in any site discussing the game. It means when I'm fighting a ship often times they get away or I run into them.
I also remember a targeting box that gets displayed over the ship when they are targeted, but I'm not seeing that box over the ship. This means I have to look very closely if the ship is far away to see them and rely on my forward and rear sensors to tell where they are.
Last does anybody know how to set a throttle control on a joystick? The game recognizes my joystick but not the throttle slider. I can use a program like "Antimicro" but any activation of throttle either completely turns on my speed to max or turns my speed to nothing, it doesn't set speed to percentages of the throttle slide.
starfiretbt is offline                         Send a private message to starfiretbt
Old 08-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #289
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Try this article?

I am not exactly sure that it will cover all your questions, but joystick and speed discussed there.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:59 PM   #290
starfiretbt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Try this article?

I am not exactly sure that it will cover all your questions, but joystick and speed discussed there.
I read it and it mentioned the ENTER key matches speed, that's the key I remember but in the game I'm playing (X-Wing CD-Rom edition 1994) ENTER fires lasers. Is there another key for matching speed?
Also I don't have a problem with my joystick being recognized, that problem I fixed, I just want to be able to use the throttle for speed control. Maybe that was another version of X-Wing as well. I did play it on PC when I was young.

Last edited by starfiretbt; 09-06-2021 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Wanted email notification on
starfiretbt is offline                         Send a private message to starfiretbt