Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin

I have a internet connection through LAN 40 kbps. When I surf the net, I get fairly good speed but my downloading speed is restricted to 3.50 KB/s. Please tell me what's the problem? I am using Pentium 4 PC with XP Service Pack 2!
Thanx
Old 01-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Youre not alone. I suffer from LAG internet too. Help us!
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 01-06-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Is it that slow all the time, or does it vary between servers? Are you using any kind of download manager (if not, why not?) - is your firewall or anything similar getting in the way? Have you got windows open doing other things like refreshing web pages or browsing big sites with flash etc? Have you checked for spyware/adware recently?
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 01-06-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

Just one question: is that speed (40 kbps) correct?

because if it is, your maximum download speed should be about 5 KB/s which means you are not wasting that much of your bandwidth

i have a 512 kbps conection and i can download at 30 KB/s without any problem.
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 01-06-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

40 kbps afaik is really slow by itself... :whistle:
Old 01-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #6
lethe
Game freak

Yap... I remember my 56 kbps phone connection. It sucked, and between packages sent to the ISP, and packages outside to websites , loss and server lag, 3.5kb/s was actually a good downloading speed.

Edit: typos
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 02-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #7
vipin
Super Freak

Sorry, it was not 40 kbps but 40 KBPS. And whether I use download manager or not, my speed never exceeds 3.5 KB/s. My speed is always this slow. My Firewall, I don't think is creating any trouble( if yes, pls tell how). I am sure there is no spyware or adware in my PC since I have installed Windows right now jst one day ago and opened very reliable websites. I have not opened any windows with flash content. I just open the downloading window and close all other applications.
Pls help!
Old 02-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

I don' t know if what i' m going to say can help you or not, but here it goes:

You say your connection is throgh LAN; how many users has that network? for example, if there are 50 users "surfing" the net, the bandwidth will be divided by all the users.

if there are only a couple of users, there might be a limitation somewhere, perhaps at the LAN administrator or at the router, in order to keep some bandwidth free.
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 02-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #9
vipin
Super Freak

But I don't understand why only my downloading speed suffers! If problem was with the number of people with the LAN, then my net surfing speed would have also been slow! Moreover, in the past I surfed the net using my 56 K modem (Dial-up) and again my speed was same although I surfed the net with the modem connection very slow!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:07 AM   #10
rallier
Abandonia nerd

40 Kbits per second... divide it by 8 you get 5kb/s at optimum levels! (that means in perfect utopian conditions most probably it will be 4kb/s or less depending on the line quality etc) when you are surfing many of the sites you go are already in your computer's memory so they may load pretty fast, however when downloading things are different..... especially when the server requires uploading and lot (confirmation of packets etc etc etc although small but many) it may choke your connection hence a slower download speed.
Furthermore if u have a firewall IT WILL i repeat IT WILL hamper ur speed no matter what the settings are...... you would say yes but just a little....well in modern era that almost everyone uses ADSL 1kb/s down is meaningless but for a 40kbit modem is no less than 20% of performance down.

What i imply is that most probably there is nothing unnaturally wrong with your pc or the connection, and as internet security increases modems will eventually be unable to surf at all. what i suggest to you my friend is to get an ADSL connection, it's fairly cheap and it may even prove cheaper than normal modem connection since it is not using the telephonic line as a telephone line (works at higher frequencies so the line is not busy).
what i am writing now is not by a run of the mill user you may encounter since i am working at an ADSL line provider along with the ISP and i've got a Bsc in Comp. Science, nothing to brag about it but just to give you clear indications that these are not speculations but facts.

Personally i rendered the modem usage obsolete and have one in commision just in case of an extreme emergency.
rallier is offline                         Send a private message to rallier