Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

that the game runs both under dosbox and vdmsound. That it works under xp with the use of vdms? Even when there is no XP icon in the review? Because as far as I know you cannot run dosbox and vdms at the same time. Someone please explain this to me. :crazy:
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 04-05-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You got it right there - many things will run under XP with VDMSound enabled, and those games will almost certainly run under DOSBox too. On the other hand, there are games on the site that won't run at all in XP but work OK in DOSBox.

So "runs under both DOSBox and VDMSound" means "you can use either VDMS or DOSBox to run it".
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 04-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

So...where there is the icon for vdms the game will work with that under xp? And when there is also the XP icon it means it will work under XP even without dosbox or vdms? :blink:
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 04-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Xp have extremely low DOS compatibility so it is very unlikely that an old game manage to run fine without external help.

The most common problem is sound. VDMSound is a nifty little program designed especially for that. Thus, VDMSound should be used if you can manage to run a game fine under XP but can't manage to make the sound work. Is is also a workaround for DOSBox because you need a moderatly high powerful computer to run DOSBox, which is the ultimate solution.

DOSBox emulate an old 486 completely. DOS, sound card, drivers, you mean it. That program also can be set to different game speed as you wish and thus can be used as a slowdown program for very old games. The only drawback is that it only emulate a 486. This mean that some new games (like C&C on this site) will have a very hard time to work even with a high end computer because altough the game can be run on a 486, a Pentium was recommended at the time. The other drawback, somewhat related, is that emulation require a lot of processing power. If you don't have a fast machine then you might end up not being able to play the game with DOSBox at "full speed" for the game.

Overall those two programs are extremely good. I don't see how we could play old games on XP without them or similar programs.

If you have further question or seek a little more info I beckon you to read this thread first as it might answer a few questions.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Perhaps I am not making myself clear on this one.

I will try to rephrase it.

In a game for game XYZ, you have on the compatibility section 3 icons. One DOSBOX, one VDMS, one windowsXP.

The Dosbox means of course that the game needs/can run within DOSBOX.

The WIndowsXP means that the game runs fine without further emulation (perhaps clicking an option or two in the compatibility of the exe).

the VDMS means that the game needs/can be run with VDMS (if you choose to avoid DOSBOX in this case) under windows XP. right?

SO, when you have a game that has only the DOSBOX and the VDMS icons it means that the game can be run either under dosbox or under windows(XP) WITH VDMS??? IF so, then isn't the inclusion of the XP icon in games that need at least VDMS something that is not needed?

Also, having the icon of VDMS in the review, doesn't it mean that the game runs under windows but with the use of VDMS only?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:10 PM   #6
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

A lot of things will run in XP but without full sound which you get form VDMs, but I take your point there may be some redundancy.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 05-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #7
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

But what is the process of thinking of the reviewer (or whoever puts those icons in the review) when they have them there?
If there are all three it means it runs under xp with or without vdms and if there are only dosbox and vdms that it runs under dosbox and xp but only with the use of vdms?.....aahhh :whistle:

Can someone please delete this thread and remove my posts count from it? I can't believe I couldn't get it till now.

Perhaps it is because I am Sorry guys.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:35 AM   #8
Gamefreak

Simply:
XP - Runs under Windows XP without sound only
VDMS - Runs under Wundos XP with sound
DosBox - Runs better than under Windows XP with sound

Old 06-05-2005, 06:58 AM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
XP - Runs under Windows XP without sound only
Wrong. Certain games can work with sound under XP, provided this is MIDI or speaker sound.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman