Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Rules of Engagement

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 24-01-2008 at 06:27 PM.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 13-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Edit: A manual has been obtained. Thank you to those who helped. The download is available on the game's page.
Old 13-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
BlackMageJawa
Game Wizzard

Nice, a game based around the LCARS computer interface style from Star Trek.

:blink:

Oh God, I just realised how sad it is that I know what it's called. I only played Elite Force, honest, I'm not a trekkie!
BlackMageJawa is offline                         Send a private message to BlackMageJawa
Old 14-01-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Onyx
Abandonia nerd

Uhm... I'm totaly lost. NO WAY I'm gonna play this w/out a manual.

Quote:
Nice, a game based around the LCARS computer interface style from Star Trek.
Well, not quite but it looks like it at a first glance. I thought it's a ST game when I saw screenshots. You know, it's quite sad. It looks much more "trek-ish" than some interfaces in actual ST games.

Quote:
Oh God, I just realised how sad it is that I know what it's called. I only played Elite Force, honest, I'm not a trekkie!
Riiight... Jeez, why is anyone afraid of being "acused" to be a trekkie? It's not like all trekkies wear uniforms to work or walk around with those rubber pointy ears...
Old 14-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Onyx@Jan 14 2006, 12:42 PM
It's not like all trekkies wear uniforms to work or walk around with those rubber pointy ears...
They don't? Thank god I can get rid of them. Those things itch you know...
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 14-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

Actually, being a hardcore Trekkie seems to help a bit in this game.

I saw alot of similarities beside the LCARS system (it's even called LY CAR in the game) this game really seems to be inspired by Star Trek. First, the race "Cybers". Borg anyone? ^^

Then the whole gameplay. The weapon system is pretty similar, all the ship systems, then the possibility of pinpointing several systems. I mean, OK, Star Trek is not the only science-fiction series with this system. But it is really really similar to Star Trek.

And it isn't that hard to figure out how to hunt down and destroy/board a ship. The first mission was a piece of cake, I just ordered my two ships to destroy the Transport and then concentrated on boarding the scout.

Only problem I had was with communications. After I orderd my ships to attack the enemy, I switched to the "enemy-channel" and wanted them to surrender (which, of course, didn't work) but then I couldn't switch back to the dialogue options for friendly ships, so I had some troubles ordering my ships back to the waypoint.

So, I think it's not that hard to figure out the basics, but a manual would really help.

Oh and I need a bit of help with a problem: I can't create a new game somehow. Everytime I create one with my Commander, it doesn't pop up in "Existing Games" :/ It only worked one time.
Don Andy is offline                         Send a private message to Don Andy
Old 15-01-2006, 01:52 AM   #7
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

I apologize for the inconvenience. The manual has been updated to the games page
Old 16-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #8
uethello

The "Manual" link gives me the game download but not the manual? Basically the same as the "Get It" link w/o the "donation" page.

Old 16-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

I know nothing about Star Trek (I watched the first couple of seasons when they first aired, laughed myself silly at the acting, characters and plots, and never bothered after that), but I found the game very entertaining. It was just as the reviewer said, extremely customizable, and the AI was good. That company did some very interesting games, but never seemed to find a steady market.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 16-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #10
hitmark

very interesting game

i must say i have allways loved those star trek style games where you can do all kinds of stuff from the command of you ship (there is one thats ascii based thats very open in what actions you can take and so on. dont recall the name right now).

hell, it didnt take me long to figure out that interface. just click around. a nice hint is to look for letters or numbers with a line below them. if you click the colored square they are in (or just hit the underlined letter/number) something should happen

hmm, isnt it the same trick that they use in windows to indicate alt+letter hotkeys?