Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-12-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Caged
Game Wizzard

now available at download.com, Diskeeper 9.0 and spyware doctor 3.0

Both awesome programs that do wonderful jobs. My system has never been so defragged in its lifetime and as for the new version of spyware doctor. it does find a lot of bugs, so have fun and download to your hearts content. k:
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 14-12-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

What do those programs do?

Can you put deeper explanation?
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero
Old 14-12-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
Braindead
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to Braindead Send a message via MSN to Braindead

diskeeper will defragment your harddrive: this means it will put all data that belongs to 1 file put sequentially on the disk instead of spreaded over your hard disk's clusters.

spyware doctor will remove spyware from your computer. spyware are programs that are installed unwillingly and without your knowledge, mostly they collect data about something which is considered to be private (for example the websites you visit).

A bad thing about spyware removers: Most of the time, the so called spyware programs will also remove the internet-cookies from your pc though because this is also used to store personal data (for example this forum uses a cookie to store your name and password so that you will log in next time automatically when you visit). Of course when these cookies are removed the site won't remember you and you will have to log in again with your username and password...
Braindead is offline                         Send a private message to Braindead
Old 14-12-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

But I use ad-aware for spamware! What do you think, which one is better?
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero
Old 14-12-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

I got ad-aware and yahoo anty spam plus Norton and System mechanic
Old 14-12-2004, 09:35 PM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Can you explain what is the advantage of using that defrag program over the already available in every Windows version defrag.exe?
Old 14-12-2004, 10:17 PM   #7
Caged
Game Wizzard

Windows Defragmentor is an extremely slow wannabe of Diskeeper 9.0

Diskeeper also gives you some added info about your overall harddrive status. reliability, bad files, ect. and works in a fraction of the time the generic windows program can. Well worth your time to download the trial.
As for Spyware Doctor, I can vouch that i have used it for a number of monthes and had no problems with extra spyware being installed. I run Spy sweeper, Spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware, and Spybot S&D. I need to know my system is clean because they slow down my system tremendously and am pretty sure that with all the included shields those programs offer, I am spyware/adware/malware free.
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 14-12-2004, 11:00 PM   #8
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I use Spyware Blaster myself, and it helps much more. Preventing those malware to be installed on your computer is way more efficient than allowing them to get thru and removing them later. k:

I'll try the programs you mentionned.

Edit: could not find a trial version of Diskeeper on their official site, and Spyware Doctor trial version don't even remove the threats it found (tough it's only cookies, and it did not even find the other threats my other program are finding themselves).
Old 15-12-2004, 01:01 AM   #9
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Dec 14 2004, 05:35 PM
Can you explain what is the advantage of using that defrag program over the already available in every Windows version defrag.exe?
Windows 2K and XP's defrag are made based on diskkeeper 5.0 and they are much better then defrag that came with windows 98. I am still using DK7.0.

Isn't diskkeeper 9.0 available at downloads.com just a trial?

For add/spyaware i am using addaware in combination with spybot. For viruses McAffee AV and for firewall free personal ZoneAlarm Firewall.

Nothing wrong with using multiple tools, as long as your computer can handel them.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 15-12-2004, 01:32 AM   #10
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

I use Ad-aware and Norton. k:
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury