Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Captain Primate

So, I updated to Vista the other day, and I've run into a problem with my games (which worked absolutely fine under XP). When I try to launch the .com or .bat files, I get the following error:

This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose "close" to terminate the application.

Yes, I could use DosBox (I've tested it and it works fine). However, I would like to play the games in fullscreen mode - and, for some reason, I can't get DosBox to emulate fullscreen.

So, if anyone has any kind of suggestion for my issue, I would greatly appreciate hearing it.

Cheers
Captain Primate is offline                         Send a private message to Captain Primate
Old 13-02-2007, 12:31 AM   #2
Captain Primate

QUOTE(Captain Primate @ Feb 12 2007, 07:58 PM) [snapback]279004[/snapback]
Quote:
So, I updated to Vista the other day, and I've run into a problem with my games (which worked absolutely fine under XP). When I try to launch the .com or .bat files, I get the following error:

This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose "close" to terminate the application.

Yes, I could use DosBox (I've tested it and it works fine). However, I would like to play the games in fullscreen mode - and, for some reason, I can't get DosBox to emulate fullscreen.

So, if anyone has any kind of suggestion for my issue, I would greatly appreciate hearing it.

Cheers
[/b]
please disregard the post - I've figured it out.

Cheers.
Captain Primate is offline                         Send a private message to Captain Primate
Old 13-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

How did you solve it? That knowledge can help future users with the same problem.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #4

Ummmm...I am having the exact same problem, altho I am not figuring it out. Any insights or suggestions would be useful as I am not very good good at this kind of thing......but have enjoyed playing these killer games on XP...and dont want the fun to stop.

Old 28-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

I have that problem as well. :wallbash:

Games that worked fine under XP won't work under Vista. I just get the 'This system does not support fullscreen mode' message.

How did you solve it?

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 28-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally posted by http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/vista.html
Follow these steps very carefully before attempting to run WPDOS with Windows Vista:

(1) On your Windows Vista computer, click on the Vista "pearl" where the Start Menu was in earlier versions, and enter the word "COMMAND" (no quotation marks); a DOS prompt should open. Press Alt-Enter, which normally switches between windowed and full-screen mode. If you get an error message saying "This system does not support fullscreen mode", then proceed to step (2), after entering "exit" to close the window. Otherwise, enter "exit" to close the command prompt, and proceed to step (3).

(2) If you want to be able to use WPDOS in its traditional 25-line full-screen mode, and you got an error message when you tried the experiment in step (1), then you must use Vista's "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" video driver instead of whatever driver you or Windows installed for use with your video hardware. (Alternatively, if your hardware makes this possible you should install the Windows XP driver for your video hardware as described below). To install the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, right-click on the Windows desktop; choose Personalize from the pop-up menu; choose Display Settings from the Personalize dialog; on the Monitor tab, click Advanced Settings...; on the Adapter tab, click Properties; on the Driver tab, click Update Driver...; click on "Browse My Computer for Driver Software"; click on "Let me pick a list of device drivers on my computer"; in the "Select a device driver" list, scroll down to Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and highlight (select) it; click Next. If your monitor goes blank, wait five minutes, then power down your computer and restart it normally. If your monitor does not go blank, wat while the driver is installed; click Close; then continue to press Close or OK or otherwise close dialog boxes until you are back to the desktop. If you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. You probably should do so anyway. (If you want to reverse this procedure, follow the same instructions, but let Windows automatically install the appropriate software for your system instead of browsing your computer for driver software.)
tell me if this works for you guys, i dont have Vista myself. if it does, i will pin it in to troubleshooting archive=)
Old 29-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Captain Primate

hey folks - for those of you who were wondering how I solved this problem...I used D-Fend. Its a GUI frontend to DosBox, is very user friendly (no command like shenanigans), and works just fine on Vista.

Check it out at:

http://members.home.nl/mabus/
Old 30-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #8
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Apr 28 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]288745[/snapback]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/vista.html
Follow these steps very carefully before attempting to run WPDOS with Windows Vista:

(1) On your Windows Vista computer, ...........

(2) If you want to be able to ........

tell me if this works for you guys, i dont have Vista myself. if it does, i will pin it in to troubleshooting archive=)
[/b]
Step 1 doesn't work for me, but Step 2 seems to work fine. Thanks Russ, you're a star. :brain:

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 30-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

im not a star, google is

btw, pinned: http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index...howtopic=14638
Old 06-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
sev7en
Forum hobbit

Both methods are great but I would suggest for no-Direct3D/X or accelerated games the virtualization way (just a Virtual Machine).
sev7en is offline                         Send a private message to sev7en