Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Introductions, Farewells and Returns
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Tracker's 10th Anniversary - 2009-2019

Dear Abandonians,

I'm taking a moment to thank you all for the great times together. I was really only active between 2009-2012 tops, but I always cherished the memories of our time together. We played some old games, we played some new, made some articles and put out good content, I believe.

Also AB is probably the topmost reason I have a reasonable understanding of English and a Master's Degree in it. So kudos to You for talking to me (and thanks for my parents for paying the ISP check. lol).

I wouldn't list anyone in particular for fear of missing out someone important. Let's just say I hope you are all still lurking around in 2019 and onwards.

I wish you all a Happy, Prosperous New Year, and Good Health.

If you like, drop me a line to my mailbox, I still monitor it.

Cheers,
Tracker

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 01-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post

Dear Abandonians,

I'm taking a moment to thank you all for the great times together. I was really only active between 2009-2012 tops, but I always cherished the memories of our time together. We played some old games, we played some new, made some articles and put out good content, I believe.

Also AB is probably the topmost reason I have a reasonable understanding of English and a Master's Degree in it. So kudos to You for talking to me (and thanks for my parents for paying the ISP check. lol).

I wouldn't list anyone in particular for fear of missing out someone important. Let's just say I hope you are all still lurking around in 2019 and onwards.

I wish you all a Happy, Prosperous New Year, and Good Health.

If you like, drop me a line to my mailbox, I still monitor it.

Cheers,
Tracker
My Congratulations on the 10th anniversary of your registration on Abandonia!

I am glad that although AB Forums have been more active in their moments of glory in the past, there are some very old users like you who are still active. Situation very unlike a certain self-righteous crazy spammer troll that was banned several times by trolling here recently!

So I hope you and other former members may still be active for a long time!

PS

Last edited by Mystvan; 01-01-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Old 03-01-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

PS
[/quote]

Haha lol that's very true - never change, Mystvan.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Congratulations on the anniversary, Tracker. Not many active people from then anymore, true.
Then again, abandonware is also kind of a dead scene now, too old for young people who can get it on GOG or don't even know about very old games, too familiar and also too old for people who have been playing them live back then and now moved on to other, newer games, or other life responsibilities.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 05-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Congratulations on the anniversary, Tracker. Not many active people from then anymore, true.
Then again, abandonware is also kind of a dead scene now, too old for young people who can get it on GOG or don't even know about very old games, too familiar and also too old for people who have been playing them live back then and now moved on to other, newer games, or other life responsibilities.
Thanks, Scatty. I guess it's kind of a non-achievement. It's a bit like winning a race where I'm the only contestant.

In any case, I have no idea what to do with this site. I just come back for the nostalgia maybe. I don't even play these games anymore. Life goes on, right?

Old 11-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Congrats, Tracker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Then again, abandonware is also kind of a dead scene now, too old for young people who can get it on GOG or don't even know about very old games
Um, actually, it depends on what do you name "abandonware scene". Abandonware was hot when it was fresh - 1995 game is quite good when you are in 2000+. Now it's less populated, if we are speaking about the same period (1980-1995), but, I bet, there is still a lot of activity if speaking about 2005+ games. Not my thing though, because I moved to legal on this time range, thanks to Steam.

Speaking about "true" Abandonware, pre-2000s one, I can name three hot points and one at least warm. old-games.ru make a great efforts to preserve all Abandonware - seeking it, buying it and tracking it (even if I, personally, shocked with their fond of Korean games), Abandonware France does the same for French games, and eXo do a great work to make playable DOS-collection of _everything_ (i.e. one game, best version, preferrably English one to be playable). I am resident of his Discord channel, so I can see it, and participate too.

And "warm" point is DOS-collection. They intended to collect everything about DOS-games, so it makes it less organized and less usable than eXo's one, but also bigger and more universal too. Not much action there, unfortunately, but it is.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Thanks, Smiling_Spectre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Congrats, Tracker!

Um, actually, it depends on what do you name "abandonware scene". Abandonware was hot when it was fresh - 1995 game is quite good when you are in 2000+. Now it's less populated, if we are speaking about the same period (1980-1995), but, I bet, there is still a lot of activity if speaking about 2005+ games. Not my thing though, because I moved to legal on this time range, thanks to Steam.

Speaking about "true" Abandonware, pre-2000s one, I can name three hot points and one at least warm. old-games.ru make a great efforts to preserve all Abandonware - seeking it, buying it and tracking it (even if I, personally, shocked with their fond of Korean games), Abandonware France does the same for French games, and eXo do a great work to make playable DOS-collection of _everything_ (i.e. one game, best version, preferrably English one to be playable). I am resident of his Discord channel, so I can see it, and participate too.

And "warm" point is DOS-collection. They intended to collect everything about DOS-games, so it makes it less organized and less usable than eXo's one, but also bigger and more universal too. Not much action there, unfortunately, but it is.
Wow, you guys are very dedicated in Russia! I don't think Abandonware will have a future, though. I mean, there was a short period when lots of games were forgotten. But there are lot of businesses today who are focusing on releasing old games. Publishers are very sensitive about holding on to titles now.

But, I think we can all agree it was a fun era to be in. In addition to your suggestions, I would also say reddit has a community around DOS games and all things retro.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #8
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Well, fortunately, there are still games that we can play again such as Dune, Dune II, Master of Magic, Master of Orion II, Warcraft, Warcraft II, Wing Commander Privateer, etc. Not to mention that games of Logical Reasoning (Puzzle) such as LaserTank, Klotski, etc. are old games. It would be to keep our mind sharper and more active...

Ah! Another thing, some jewelry such as Beyond Two Souls, Detroit: Become Human, Dragon Age franchise, God of War (new), Heavy Rain, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us, Mass Effect franchise, etc. mix Action, Adventure and RPG. That way, it would be much better and enjoyable to play such games than Diablo, Torchlight and other “brainless” games... in my humble opinion...
Old 12-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #9
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post
Well, fortunately, there are still games that we can play again such as Dune, Dune II, Master of Magic, Master of Orion II, Warcraft, Warcraft II, Wing Commander Privateer, etc. Not to mention that games of Logical Reasoning (Puzzle) such as LaserTank, Klotski, etc. are old games. It would be to keep our mind sharper and more active...

Ah! Another thing, some jewelry such as Beyond Two Souls, Detroit: Become Human, Dragon Age franchise, God of War (new), Heavy Rain, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us, Mass Effect franchise, etc. mix Action, Adventure and RPG. That way, it would be much better and enjoyable to play such games than Diablo, Torchlight and other “brainless” games... in my humble opinion...
I agree with you, Mystvan. I can't bear games like Diablo anymore... too much clicking, not enough thinking. I think I will put more emphasis on RTS and TBS in the future. Also, logic games. Some of them are unbeliavably cool. I recently started to play Hidden Object games, and some of them have really difficult puzzles. Esoterica - Hollow Earth comes to mind.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

Here's to 100 years more