Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #21
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
the trouble with integrated videocards are drivers, bp. and there are always some kind of different issues too. he doesn't have to buy awesome ultra geeforcae 235092348523905 gtx pro omg ultra. simple old cheap radeon could handle it. but not integrated
So you are saying that integrated cards can't do the job?!

Why drivers would be a problem? They as well might be a problem with regular cards, if you think about it. :laugh:

And it is better to stay away from ATI as their GL support is bad...
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 03-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #22
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Else, you'll have to pay extra to have the card installed in the box. The labour is really what make the difference.
The only situation where I'd bother paying someone else for the installation would be if opening the case myself would void the sets' warranty. Of course, I don't buy PC's with that sort of restriction on their warranty.
Anything else, I install myself. Takes 5 to 15 minutes, tops.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #23
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
You obviously underestimate the power required to play newer 3D games. I could not play Warcraft III without most visual options turned off else I'd be lagging, or keep up much longer with games like WoW since they up their system requirement with time as technology advance...

It's obvious that the integrated graphic card is enough to play old DOS games. However, if you plan to use the computer for at least two years and you do want to play the newer games which will come out, then you need to think ahead. a 256 megs card is the minimum I'd recommend unless you want to end up with a new computer in a year and a half...
That's horribly incorrect. Warcraft III does work on even a crappy Intel chipset released today, my room PC has it and Warcraft III runs absolutely fine as I said before, your computer must just have been a junker with a crappy processor and RAM as well.

@_r.u.s.s. - The only time drivers are an issue with running older 3D titles on an integrated chipset is when some moron who has no clue what he's doing attempts to install the drivers himself.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon

Last edited by Blood-Pigggy; 03-04-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 04-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
dosraider
Dismembered.

There is another thing to consider regarding onboard chip or vidcard.
All round performance of your system.
In my line of experience you get a 5-15% all round system boost installing even a lower end vidcard.
Benchmark it, if you have the possibility, you will be amazed.

The only exeption seems to be under Ubuntu with some NVidea cards (alas ....), but that's more driver support depending.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 05-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #25
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Yes, I always pay to add new hardware in my computer. Mostly 'cause of the warranty which come with it and I don't want to mess around things I am not 100% sure to know. It doesn't mean that I add a piece of hardware every month in my box though. On average, I just don't 'cause I add the best I can afford when I build it which allow me to keep the rig for a very, very long time by the industry standards. By the time it's really outdated... I'm ready to start fresh again.

Quote:
That's horribly incorrect. Warcraft III does work on even a crappy Intel chipset released today, my room PC has it and Warcraft III runs absolutely fine
Warcraft III is now a very old game by the game industry standards... I know it sound stupid, but it's the truth.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #26
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

@rogue- no they could, read my post again
@bp- what can you screw when installing a driver?=S
Old 05-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #27
Tulac
Union Leader

I have a laptop with intel GMA 950, and while it can play older games like warcraft 3 and call of duty (runs better than my super old gf4mx440) the problem is that it won't run many games at all because of the lack of support. I think it's much wiser to buy a mid end graphics card from previous generations which he could pay around 50$ (GF7600 for instance), and run even newer games on it let alone the old ones.

The problem is that integrated graphics are not made for playing games, they are made for PC's that are used in office for programs that aren't intensive on graphics.

Last edited by Tulac; 05-04-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Tulac is offline                         Send a private message to Tulac
Old 06-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #28
Juanca
Eternal Player

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulac View Post
I have a laptop with intel GMA 950, and while it can play older games like warcraft 3 and call of duty (runs better than my super old gf4mx440) the problem is that it won't run many games at all because of the lack of support. I think it's much wiser to buy a mid end graphics card from previous generations which he could pay around 50$ (GF7600 for instance), and run even newer games on it let alone the old ones.

The problem is that integrated graphics are not made for playing games, they are made for PC's that are used in office for programs that aren't intensive on graphics.
Thanks for the advice, the work has been done and he has the computer with him now (he is very happy and we had the opportunity to see all the building process :amused.
So as they say in Daventry (home of king graham) "we will kill that troll when we cross that bridge" :amused:
Thanks a lot to all for all your support and advices
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 06-04-2008, 02:48 AM   #29
ianfreddie07
wat

What graphics card did he get?
ianfreddie07 is offline                         Send a private message to ianfreddie07
Old 07-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #30
Juanca
Eternal Player

the graphic chipset on the mother board and it is working fine for the games he has.
though, we are now sure that if he will get newer games he will need another graphic card he will wait until that will happen (certainly prices will drop own :amused
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca