Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-01-2006, 05:34 AM   #41
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

you can adjust the speed in the game's menu.

normally shooting and movement is not really slow. it's somewhat similar to C&C. so you probably have to adjust the speed in the menu.

HINT: To make the missiles miss more use fast speed, while if you want to make lot of hits with them choose very slow.

Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 01-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #42
Siege Tank lover

Siege tanks
what are they good for? ahh got it! FOR SIEGES!

way too many people consentrate way too much about rocket launchers, and use thease to kill missile turrets. DONT

the thing rocket launchers are good at is Kamikaze missions. get a group ot them, line them up at your base, pick a good target like Heavy Factory or Construction Yard. they may die, but if you have skirmished ahead, killing some of the units around base, done good recon, THEY WILL GET THE JOB DONE!

but when you at some point realise how weak and inaccurate rocket launchers are, START USING SIEGE TANKS.

thease units are great for anything except running from Sand Worms. Many are intimidatet by missile turrets, since thease outrange Siege Tanks. DONT BE!
A siegetank is awesome vs. turrets. take 6 siege tanks and they will break any defence for you. Sonic Tanks may cause them problems, but thease are weak and are likely to mess up their own base if in a defending role.

If you want to do really good drive your rocket launchers after your 6 Siege Tanks. while the Tanks take the punishment the rocket launchers can hurl missiles into the base and do good damage (though not nessesarily on the building you aim them at).

6 Siege Tanks and 4 Rocketlaunchers can take most bases. AND FAST

Old 02-02-2006, 04:24 AM   #43

This game is amazing. I don't know if my young self would have beleived it if someone told me that a decade later I would still be playing Dune II.

Just wanted to clear some things up, or at least throw out my thoughts on the subjects:

The Fremen: Some people are saying that they are not powerful enough. Personally I agree. I wished the Fremen had been stronger, especially since they were so powerful in the book. However, realistically, in the book you didn't have tanks going at each other. You had bands of people on foot with knives. So looking at it that way, the Fremen are powerful since they are stronger than the normal troopers. They just don't measure up to the tanks.

Devastator: I think someone posed the question of why modern militaries don't make nuclear tanks when there are nuclear subs around. My question is, what benefit will a tank receive from putting a nuclear reactor in it? It's not as if it will make the guns more powerful or anything like that.

Here is the thing, regular gasoline or diesel engines require air to operate. On a sub, you don't want to have to carry any more air down there than you have to for the crew to survive. A nuclear sub has the benefit of being able to run without needing an air source. That's why we have nuclear subs, and not tanks. Regular electric motors running off of batteries don't have a good power to weight ratio when compared to alternitives, so that's why they use a nuke reactor.

Someone else I think said something about tanks not being cost-effective. You know what happens when you fire an RPG at an M1Abrams? It bounces off. Ok maybe that's stretching it a bit, but same idea. The purpose of a tank is to be a mobile piece of armor (hence they are reffered to as "amor" in the military anyway) to protect them from the infantry. The big gun on a tank? That's designed to take out other tanks or hardened targets. If tank 1 shoots tank 2, tank 2 dies. The main gun of a tank is generally more powerful than something you are going to carry on your shoulder.

The other thing is I would LOVE for someone to explain not how you can load and fire 2 main guns with a crew of 3 people. (Yes auto-loaders have been tried, but a 19-year-old with a strong arm is more efficient apparently.) Then again, on Arrakis apparently people have found a way to aim the main guns at individual soldiers eliminating the need for a secondary gunner. Eh, oh well. I'm not trying to take away from the game here, I'm just explaining why you won't see Devastators or Seige Tanks anytime soon.

But yes, back to the love of this game. This game is glorious. This game is part of my childhood I tell you. Saturday morning cartoons? Yeah, ok. I was in the basement blowing up harvesters first thing out of bed. I am so glad that I get to play this game again.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #44

Im about to download this game, but the editor's choice thing is
at level 5. Does the game have a map editor or can you mod it well?

Old 06-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #45
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I think the game can be modded - somehow - because there was a modded version released called "super dune II"

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #46

I remember playing this game back in 1994-5 or so when my friend first picked it up.

I remember a sneaky method of using the slabs of concrete as a trail up to the enemy base or as close as possible and then putting something sneaky there. Can't remember what i did exactly!

Old 08-02-2006, 07:06 AM   #47
Gamefreak

Rocket- or machinegun-turrets, what else?

Old 07-03-2006, 03:43 AM   #48
Red Sandwich

I downloaded this game from here about a week ago but rapidly ran into the problem of the copy protection questions. I didn't find the manual too much help for answering these because at this early stage of the game you don't always know what is the building or unit which is shown on the screen and about which the program asks you a question. After a fair bit of searching on the Net I eventually found a "Hints" file which had descriptions of the pictures and the answers to the possible questions. Very useful - it ought to be available here. I have a copy if the people running this site would like to add it to the Dune 2 downloads.

This game is so like Command & Conquer. It even uses the very same sound clips for the vocal responses that you get from units when giving them orders. It also has the same silly things that can make a scenario so hard to finish off. These include the fact that whenever you destroy one of the computer's buildings it seems to get full cash credit for it and so promptly puts up other buildings or generates a swarm of new units. Also the computer's own "magic cash" machine which allows the computer to carry on repairing buildings even after you have destroyed all refineries and silos.

Does anyone know if there is anything that you can do about the sand worms? I've just had a scenario come to a complete standstill as five consecutive harvesters, together with almost full spice loads, were consumed by the worms. As my base was under attack by Ordos throughout this period I soon ran out of credits and the repair state of some buildings became perilously low.
Red Sandwich is offline                         Send a private message to Red Sandwich
Old 07-03-2006, 05:35 AM   #49
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

isn't this a cracked version? i eman you can put anything in the box and progress in game.

you mean C&C is like Dune 2

yeah sandworms you have two options. one is to kill them. the other one is to feed them.

if you want to kill them you have somehow make them follow your trike or somehting and when trike is on safe ground stard pounding the worm.

another solution is to get some cheap units (trikes or infantry) and feed them to the worm. once the worm eats enough it will dissapear. beware as there is usually more than one worm.

later in stage i suggest you to use carryall thing, because it will transport your haverster safe and quickly from and to your base.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 07-03-2006, 05:44 AM   #50

Sandworms can be killed!!
Well enough so as they go away!!

When a Sandworm appears, move all your units on the concrete (base terrain)!
The sandworm should stop moving!! or may chase the enemy!!

If it stops then you can easily target it with your tanks! when it get below half health it disappers!!
If it is too far away to target, entice it close to the edge of your base by moving just onto the sand, hell move closer, then move back onto the solid terrain before he eats you!!!

Now kill IT!

If you know where they are at the start of the game, you can go find them, lead them back to base and kill them!!

I think some levels have two worms!!