Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #41
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by _r.u.s.s.@Apr 26 2006, 07:50 PM
overclock means to run processor at higher clock rate than default
if you have good motherboard for it (mine's o k) you can't make any harm (actually you can, so you have to be careful )

you can change it in BIOS, BUT you have know that by increasing cycles you have to increase voltage in power supply and be aware of temperature. monitor it so you can see if you need some new cooler or just opening the case, you know what i mean
if you overcock your cpu too much, you can experience freezes and sometimes you have to restart CMOS by putting away batterie on MB, or on some mother boards there is little jumper for it
That much I figured, but where in BIOS :blink: ? Through Windows or smth :blink: ? A little bit more detailed please... :angel:

My motherboard is able to handle a 3200mhz processor or smth so it should be able to do that, but what good does this do anyway?
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 26-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #42
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

from question you gave me i can figure out that this overclocking won't have good affect on your computer=P

acces bios before boot of course and look for "cpu frequency" and operating speed or something (maybe in your bios it will be different)
then increase multiplier, volts in power supply but...
i give you advice, ask someone experienced when are you doing this for the first time, realy
Old 26-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #43
LotharGR
Super Freak

By "Overclocking" ( literally means "over the clock" - over the specs of the hardware ) a piece of hardware in your machine - most of the times that piece of hardware either is the CPU or the Graphics card - you raise a bit its performance, but you risking damaging the hardware. Depending on your hardware, and how much you "stress" it, that risk might be high or insignifcant

But What you need to do in order to overclock the CPU or the GFX differs from system to system. Generally speaking, it is easier to overclock the GFX card, since this, in most cases ( depending and on your GFX card of course ), can be done from inside the windows. You must find where are the options for the Mhz that the GPU and graphics memory run ( recent driver releases i believe have this option in some tab inside them ), and simply raise their clock numbers. For example if your card's GPU runs, say, on 450Mhz, you can try to raise it to 470-480mhz.

The main CPU of the system most of the times can be overclocked from inside the BIOS, and if you dont have much experience with technical matters on PC's i advice you to not consider touching that.

Modern games rely more on a fast GFX card, so if you consider doing some overclocking on your machine, in order to play games better. i suggest you try first the GFX card approach.

But consider also this. Overclocking is stressing the hardware over its factory limits so a overclocked machine most of the times will run hotter than normal. Even by raising the performance by 10% you will notice a noticable raise in temperature. Temperature is a serious danger for PC's. "Proffesional" overclockers often look first to improve their machine's cooling

If overclocking is done in small steps, with great care, and not hastely, can really improve your machine, and give you a performance gain. To be careful is all that matters.

LotharGR is offline                         Send a private message to LotharGR
Old 26-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #44
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Oh, ok - I'll look into this a bit...

P.S. My M7NCD Pro mainboard can handle AMD Athlon XP up to 3200+ (mine is 3000+, so I'm ok I guess).
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 26-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #45
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Just for the record the "clocking" in "overclocking" refers to the internal clock speed (for instance of the CPU) expressed in Hrz. Letting this run faster (over) means the process the clock speed regulates runs faster.

Be very carefull with overclocking. You need to know what you are doing before you try or you run a very real risk of damaging your computer. I would advise you not to even try if you just heard what overclocking means. The gains you can achieve with overclocking are also insubstantial (an increase of 10% is HUGE and most of the time you will get no more then 2-5%), you will likely not notice any increase in speed.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 26-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #46
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Over clocking is somthing I am not able to do on my sys bios I want to be able to though I need to use the motherboard or mabey it does it automatically.
Well whe I get a new sys I will overclock it.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 27-04-2006, 09:03 AM   #47
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
That much I figured, but where in BIOS* ? Through Windows or smth* ? A little bit more detailed please...
BIOS. Basic Input-Output System. You can enter BIOS when you turn on or reset your machine before the OS boots.

Quote:
My motherboard is able to handle a 3200mhz processor or smth so it should be able to do that, but what good does this do anyway?
No-no-no. How fast CPU your motherboard can handle and how far your CPU can be overclocked are two different things.

Honestly, I've been thinking to overclock my current rig, but decided against it...
I'll be doing some 486 overclocking experiments shortly, though, and when I'll be getting a new computer meant for gaming (the current "new" machine was a hasty purchase to replace the old one that I stupidly fried - next one will be custom-built from bottom up) I'll probably invest in some powerful liquid coolant system (cause I hate the noise fans keep making) and then do some overclocking.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #48
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

The general gist.

Pentium thing: 4
CPU: 3GHz
RAM: 512MB
Grphics card level: 64MB
Old 27-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #49
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbin Threadbare@Apr 27 2006, 01:38 PM
Grphics card level: 64MB
memory is not the only important thing in graphic card.. it affects speed
some cards for example dont support shaders, direct x components and other things
Old 27-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #50
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Mh-kay guys!

Currently working machine:

CPU: 1Ghz
RAM: 512 MB
WIN XP
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
Creative SB PCI
On-board LAN