Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #401

A lot of people are talking about MoM II. Isn't Age of Wonders almost
MoM II?
Hardcore MoM fans, please don't kill me for this.

Old 25-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #402

everybody on this site talks about running games through "dosbox" i downloaded dosbox but i dont know how to actually run a game through it. can somebody please help me with this?

Old 26-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #403
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You might want to check out the official DosBox FAQ, and particularly this part of it. It is quite helpful for users unfamiliar with DosBox.

I suggest you also read the pages about command line, internal programs (very important!) and the config file.

If that stuff is a bit too much for you, you might consider using one of the multiple frontend programs available.

It's all easier then it seems. So remember:
DON'T PANIC!!!

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #404
danhanegan

The "Russian" Master of Magic website is a cool collection of reference information for MoM. Try this link. If that doesn't work just use google or your favorite search engine to search for "russian master of magic". This includes all the information from the numerous manual appendices and spellbook in a convenient linked format with graphics.

I referred to this site often when it was only available with Russian text, even though I have the printed manual and spellbook and don't read Russian; its that good. Recently, I noticed an English translation is available, which makes it even spiffier (though the grammar is a bit spotty in the translation).

I haven't read every post on this thread, my apologies if I am duplicating another post.
danhanegan is offline                         Send a private message to danhanegan
Old 19-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #405
faeornran
Forum hobbit

Sorry in advance if this is necroposting- I couldn't find anything that defined this as being such. Also sorry if this is the wrong area to post this, I wasn't sure where else to.

I just hit 20 posts and decided to fly through your ISO collection on the forum. I noticed that MoM wasn't on there. Does anyone want me to rip an ISO of the MoM CD that I have for it?

On that note, how about some other games? I could probably give the ISOs of a few others, such as Bioforge (if it's abandonware- I don't remember).

Cheers,

Fae

Edit: Bah, I think I see where I ought to have put it. I didn't notice there was a "requests" sub-forum there where I ought to have posted.
faeornran is offline                         Send a private message to faeornran
Old 19-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #406

Hopefully this won't be a triple post---

I followed Moonsword's guide to getting MoM working with VDMsound, but still get the "You need at least 2700k of expanded memory" message.

I've tried fooling with making the amount bigger and smaller in both the VDMsound shortcut and the windows .pif to no avail.

Old 20-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #407
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

How about trying to use DosBox to run the game instead?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #408
faeornran
Forum hobbit

Have you tried using both Magic.EXE and Wizards.EXE?
faeornran is offline                         Send a private message to faeornran
Old 20-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #409
Anym

I really enjoy Master of Magic, but something has always bothered me: Is there a limitation that towns can always only produce twelve different troop types or is a way around that limit? Am I missing something?

For reference: I'm playing version 1.31 of the game. I couldn't find any mention of such a limitation in the game's manual, although maybe I didn't look hard enough (as I certainly didn't read all of it).

For some races, like barbarians for example, this isn't a limitation at all, as even a fully developed barbarian city can only produce ten different types of units (berserkers, bowmen, cavalry, galleys, settlers, shamans, spearmen, swordsmen, triremes and warships).

On the other hand, if I have an orc city with an alchemists guild, an animists guild, an armory, a builders hall, fantastic stables, a mechanicians guild, a miners guild, a sawmill, a ship wrights guild, a shrine, a smithy, stables, a university and a wizards guild, I will be able to build twelve different units (bowmen, catapults, cavalry, engineers, halberdiers, settlers, shamans, spearmen, swordsmen, triremes, wizards and wyvern riders). However, if I now build a shipyard in this city, allowing me to build galleys, the wyvern riders will drop of the list, leaving me with only twelve, albeit a different set of twelve, units again (bowmen, catapults, cavalry, engineers, galleys, halberdiers, settlers, shamans, spearmen, swordsmen, triremes and wizards) and it appears as if I can't build wyvern riders anymore unless I sell one of the other troop producing buildings. Or can I?

Old 20-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #410

Yeah dosbox works for me but my laptop moves a little slow on that one.

Just gave it a whirl with wizards.exe and got the same effect. I don't need anybody to wrack their brains or anything , but was just wondering if anyone had similar troubles that required further tweaks that they remember.

thanks for the replies!