Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #41
ado
Forum hobbit

well i haven't been here for a LONG time, duh...

anyway.

Henning as for drum&bass, i'm not really an expert on those matters... but well, if you want the slower kind, DEFINITELY check out lamb. they've quickly become one of my favorite bands after i've heard 'gorecki'. that song is absolutely one of the most beautiful things i've heard. i haven't heard all of their albums, but what i did didn't disappoint me at all. even though i have to admit i had to get used to them first.. they're not purely a DnB band too, they're often even classified as trip hop, but i guess you should like at least their first (maybe the second, too) album, at least. (the debut is called eponymously 'lamb')
as for the massive attack albums, well, let's start with the 'danny the dog' soundtrack the songs on there are mostly really short, after all, it's a soundtrack and thus it's best to listen to it as a whole. it really did fit the movie in my opinion, but i don't listen to it too much as a standalone. the tunes are worth a listen though, still.
'100th window', well, get it i think it's way different than the predecessor (mezzanine), but i like the sound. i'm not too good in comparing though; you see, the atmosphere on 100th window is kind of different than that of the previous albums (though you might compare it to mezzanine, both are more on the moody, dark side). i'd say that i would listen to mezzanine in summer and to 100th window in winter
but even comparing it to the other albums, it ranks pretty high. i can't really decide which of their albums is the best one, but i think this is every bit as good as the others.... (even mezzanine which is considered to be their masterpiece). definitely get it, just don't kill me if you don't like the icy, ambient sound
yep, i agree that portishead is really dark... i need to have that "P-phase" to listen to it and enjoy it to its fullest.
i've had similar experience with wikipedia and acid jazz, duh.. that's why i find it a bit hard to classify... not to talk about FINDING that music first!

danny, your playlist is very eclectic, kudos for that!
ado is offline                         Send a private message to ado
Old 14-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #42
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Well I just ordered 100th Window. Along with Fluke's Risotto. I fell in love with the latter just hearing it at a friend's place.
As for 100th Window, I did hear some of the songs, sounds quite good to me. I've heard many people compare it to Mezzanine, but I think it's just that both are very dark and moody. I'll write more when it has arrived, k?
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder