Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
kad3t
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to kad3t
Default Looking for a good team-based RPG

Hey,

As stated in subject/title I'm looking for a good team-based RPG, preferably with turn based combat (in any kind of third person view, so top-down, isometric and all others are OK) though active-pause combat is OK as well. I'd like it to be set in fantasy theme so no futuristic/post-nuclear games please. So, does anyone know of any good games of such kind?

Oh, and before I forget both Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Dragon Age games are out of the question as I've played them already. Also I don't care much whether the game's new or old but Golden Box games are bit too old, so if possible I'd be interested in bit newer titles. I have Temple of Elemental Evil and will probably play that as well but I'm always open to some new ideas.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Do you mean a party-based single player game or a multi player game? I'm confused.

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

1. Realms of Arkania immediately comes in mind. And it's modern "continuation" in the same "Dark Eye" world - Drakensang is in the same league too. Last one have prequel, but I am not aware, if it's available in English. (There is also one full-scale adventure and cycle of five mobile games in series, but I don't know anything about them).

2. Going from past, there is also Dark Sun dilogy. First part is good, but second was very buggy for me - but I played it before rise of Internet in Russia, so I never tried it with patches.

3. Then there is The Dark Heart of Uukrul. Classic, turn based, pretty. But it had one strange bug for me when I played it in early 2000s (or maybe it was feature?) - food goes away very fast. So I wasn't able to enjoy this game at those pace at all - if you starving to death before fully exploring one level, it's too tense for me.

But I suspect that it's a bug because of game speed on modern computers, as no one ever mentioned this problem as far as I know. I never tried game under DOSBox to verify it.

4. You didn't mentioned Planescape: Torment. Same engine as Baldur's Gate 1. Best computer implementation of RPG for me that I know so far. It's quite simple by battles/spells - but non-battle choices are overwhelming and explicit. Very recommended.

5. Arcanum is another common title from Troika that you omissed. It's a steampunk/fantasy hybrid. Battles are quite simple, as you have too good weapons usually, but overall game is very good.

6. Geneforge and Avernum are quite good by itself. But there is one problem with it - they are all share the same engine, so it's always the deja vu when you are playing - as you are playing one game all this time. Geneforges are better, as it features good branching plot beside battles and exploring, so they are quite enjoyable. But Avernums are too generic and similar in my taste.

Be aware that Avernum series is pretty close remake of Exile series on modern... well, more modern engine. So Exile is quite obsolete in my taste. But it features somewhat different battle engine, so you can try that too.

Also, Spiderweb software implemented new generation of the same old engine in last year, so you can check also Avadon. But it features exactly the same mechanics and game principle, so (aside of setting), it still can be treated as continuation of Avernum series. Funny enough, they selling Avernum third time now too, on that new engine, so updated first Avernum available also for you. So you can check only it, and wait when all other 6 parts will arrived too.

7. Neverwinter Nights features isometric turn-based gameplay too. I personally not enjoyed first part at all - generic plot and too little of non-battles possibilities is not for me. But second part was praised by many, so I have it. Never tried it yet though.

8. Modern "tribute to Bard's Tale" that is Devil Whiskey quite good for me. It have phased turn-based battles, but in "classic", text-based manner - you are selecting orders for each party member then looking on results on screen. Just as old Bard's Tale and Wizardry series.

9. Wait, speaking about that, I totally omiss it! Wizardry series! If you are good with one-screen battles when all dynamic is in text choices, it is for you.

Hmm, I cannot remember anything else good. Well, Might and Magic series is somewhat in it, but it's same "Wizardry" approach that works only in first 5 parts. It's become not very funny in latest games, that aimed more for real-time battles. Superhero: League of Hoboken is the same as M&M in terms of battles too (game itself is very recommended by me though, but not because of battles .

Hmm, but check The Last Remnant if you are more in battles than in plot. Game have very generic plot and setting, but turn-based battle system is quite unique and enjoyable. I have very good feelings about it, and plan to re-play game somewhere in the future.

Now that's all.

P.S. Oh, wait, I forgot about "3rd person view" restriction. Well, strike out M&M, Devil's Whiskey and Wizardry then.

Last edited by Smiling Spectre; 05-10-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 05-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
kad3t
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomekk View Post
Do you mean a party-based single player game or a multi player game? I'm confused.
Yes, party based single player.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
kad3t
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
1. Realms of Arkania immediately comes in mind.
Yeah, you never fail to deliver the answer, do you mate?
I was actually considering Arkania (it's Riva series, right?) and might include it in my to-play but as far as I remember fights are in 3rd person view but most of the game take place in 1st person view. Am I correct?

Quote:
2. Going from past, there is also Dark Sun dilogy. First part is good, but second was very buggy for me - but I played it before rise of Internet in Russia, so I never tried it with patches.
Now this is interesting. I have those games yet never played them. I'll probably have to rectify that mistake.

Quote:
3. Then there is The Dark Heart of Uukrul. Classic, turn based, pretty. But it had one strange bug for me when I played it in early 2000s (or maybe it was feature?) - food goes away very fast. So I wasn't able to enjoy this game at those pace at all - if you starving to death before fully exploring one level, it's too tense for me.
Sounds interesting. Gonna have a look at this one.

Quote:
4. You didn't mentioned Planescape: Torment. Same engine as Baldur's Gate 1.
It is not party based, is it?

Quote:
5. Arcanum is another common title from Troika that you omissed. It's a steampunk/fantasy hybrid. Battles are quite simple, as you have too good weapons usually, but overall game is very good.
Played and completed it and it's also steampunk-ish (which is good, great even but for now I'm looking for something in more of a traditional fantasy setting)

Quote:
snr=1_7_7_230_150_1]Avernum[/url][/b] available also for you. So you can check only it, and wait when all other 6 parts will arrived too.
Ha, ha, ha... You know what's in my Steam library, you know that I have those already.

Quote:
7. Neverwinter Nights features isometric turn-based gameplay too. I personally not enjoyed first part at all - generic plot and too little of non-battles possibilities is not for me. But second part was praised by many, so I have it. Never tried it yet though.
I think I may try NN2 first and see how it goes. I read some good things about it and it seems to be the close equal to Temple of Elemental Evil for me to try out...

Quote:
Hmm, but check The Last Remnant if you are more in battles than in plot. Game have very generic plot and setting, but turn-based battle system is quite unique and enjoyable. I have very good feelings about it, and plan to re-play game somewhere in the future.
This sounds like something new, noted.

Quote:
P.S. Oh, wait, I forgot about "3rd person view" restriction. Well, strike out M&M, Devil's Whiskey and Wizardry then.
Ha, ha, ha... Yeah, but don't worry about it mate, you gave me plenty of good ideas anyway. And on the side not I'll have to remove that signature soon enough...
Old 05-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Since you've played Avernum, how about Nethergate?

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/net...res/index.html

EDIT: Heh, funnily enough they just added this to Steam not long after I posted this! http://store.steampowered.com/app/218020/

Last edited by TheChosen; 05-10-2012 at 07:20 PM.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Another good third person games are the ultima series. The first few games may feel way too old, but from 4 onwards the game keeps getting better an better. The fourth game is available on GOG for free, btw.

From those that haven't been mentioned already, those are the one I can think about right now. If I remember another one, I will add them.
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 06-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

After recently having played through the first Dark Sun I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption is also a RPG to recommend, mostly isometric though it can be played from a third-view, too. It's not strictly fantasy-based though, more like Middle Ages Gothic setting in an alternative world with vampires, and in the later stages in modern times.
It's party-based though, in fact you are even forced to play with a party the entire game, though there is a way to circumvent that if necessary.

There's also Divine Divinity and Dungeon Siege II, both of which are pretty good, though the former is less remembered / known today. The latter was a big hit years ago.

Last edited by Scatty; 06-10-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 06-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad3t View Post
Yeah, you never fail to deliver the answer, do you mate?
Sort of.
Quote:
I was actually considering Arkania (it's Riva series, right?) and might include it in my to-play but as far as I remember fights are in 3rd person view but most of the game take place in 1st person view. Am I correct?
You are right. But what's wrong with that? You mentioned Goldboxes, and they are exactly the same.

The Dark Heart of Uukrul
Quote:
Sounds interesting. Gonna have a look at this one.
The same "Goldbox-like" system, if it's a problem.

Planescape
Quote:
It is not party based, is it?
Umm... It's exactly the same as Baldur's Gate in terms of battles and movements, and such. But it's strongly "protagonist-oriented" in mechanics - every dialog, choice and such goes from Nameless One point of view.

Spiderweb
Quote:
Ha, ha, ha... You know what's in my Steam library, you know that I have those already.
Well, you asked for games for play. Also, I totally forgot to check it. Checked today when tried to found something appropriate to you...

Quote:
I think I may try NN2 first and see how it goes. I read some good things about it and it seems to be the close equal to Temple of Elemental Evil for me to try out...
Actually, NN1 gave me exactly the same impression as ToEE. So I hope, NN2 will be even better than that!

The Last Remnant
Quote:
This sounds like something new, noted.
But this one have the same mechanics "one protagonist everywhere except battles". Like in Final Fantasies and such (and the same Square Enix made that

Quote:
Ha, ha, ha... Yeah, but don't worry about it mate, you gave me plenty of good ideas anyway. And on the side not I'll have to remove that signature soon enough...
Happy Birthday!
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre