Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-06-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
catfishingharry

yes i'm a newbie, i have tinkered with dos a long looonnnggg time ago, my son ,41/2 yr old loves some of the older games, i formatted a samsung 4.3 gb hd that had win 98 on it, i tried to install win 95-no luck, i did install dos 6.2 on it and win 3.1, how do i do it the right way of changing dos to read cd rom too, i have redneck games and duke nukem and others that i would like to set up on that computer of games only, is it possable and how? i really appreciate your time and help!!!! i had a friend from another site tell me about dosbox for my win xp that i'm on right now, it works fine now, my son is really into heretic 2 right now, dora is out!! ha ha am i wrong?, he is doing awesome on the games!! again thanks for any help. catfishingharry
catfishingharry is offline                         Send a private message to catfishingharry
Old 28-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

First of all, you need to install CD-ROM drivers in DOS.

Second, Win 3.1 is upgradeable to 95 - been there, done that (or rather, back then, a more computer-savy friend did that for me).

Third, there is a DOS 7.1 somwhere out there. It has a floppy and CD-ROM versions, with the latter being quite user-friendly in terms of installation. In fact, it includes a number of useful optional extensions.
I can't, however, say for sure that it is fully compatibile with DOS 6.22 in terms of running games.

Fourth, for ease of use I always recommend installing Norton Commander or a similar GUI (DOS Navigator, Volkov Commander et al) on a DOS machine.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
catfishingharry

thank you for your time and your help, i'll look into it, i'm tinkering around with it just to see if i can do it, yeah??? this way if my son screws it up then i'll just try again ha ha, again thanks for your time, catfishingharry
QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jun 28 2007, 06:39 AM) [snapback]296899[/snapback]
Quote:
First of all, you need to install CD-ROM drivers in DOS.

Second, Win 3.1 is upgradeable to 95 - been there, done that (or rather, back then, a more computer-savy friend did that for me).

Third, there is a DOS 7.1 somwhere out there. It has a floppy and CD-ROM versions, with the latter being quite user-friendly in terms of installation. In fact, it includes a number of useful optional extensions.
I can't, however, say for sure that it is fully compatibile with DOS 6.22 in terms of running games.

Fourth, for ease of use I always recommend installing Norton Commander or a similar GUI (DOS Navigator, Volkov Commander et al) on a DOS machine.
[/b]
catfishingharry is offline                         Send a private message to catfishingharry
Old 29-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If it helps any, the CD-ROM extension for MS-DOS is called MSCDEX.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
catfishingharry

thank you, just got home, i'll try it and se what happens.
QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jun 29 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]297115[/snapback]
Quote:
If it helps any, the CD-ROM extension for MS-DOS is called MSCDEX.
[/b]