Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #931
Japo
Autonomous human

OK but I wish the government would close the Cult down for shooting at me while I'm just doing my job. :P

It's just that the aliens are so easy in the first missions, but the temple was a veritable war zone. The grenades can "only" wound whole squads--and the cultists use them with no regard for their own life--but they also use heavy missiles which are almost twice as powerful and can be fired from any distance, and can take out a rookie in Megapol armor--or nine of them for that matter.

Can you dodge missiles? How, running sideways? I have to try it.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #932
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Yeah but androids cannot evolve their stats either. They really suck for that except at the very beginning when all your soldiers suck anyways.
Humans can (and do) get better, but they need to survive long enough first. A droid is meanwhile ready to kick ass from the get-go. YMMV on what's the best way to exploit that.

Quote:
Dual wielding? Having anything in your second hand for a weapon requiring two hands destroy your accuracy. I never actually even thought about using two weapons at the same time unless they are pistols (which only require one hand).
Which is where HE autocannon rounds come in. It doesn't matter if your shots miss two meters to the left or one to the right when it still frags everything in the same zip code.

Quote:
Aimed shots will greatly increase your accuracy but you'll fire way slower.
Which is why i trade actual rate of fire for volume of troops shooting at the same target. Same resulting firepower but greater accuracy and faster accuracy gain for the soldiers.

Quote:
The most important aspect of the weapons at the early game is the ammo. Even minigun ammo will eventually run out if you use too much of it.
The stun raid trick is invaluable for remedying that. Of course, that is an exploit so YMMV.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #933
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Hum... What does YMMV mean exactly?

Quote:
Which is why i trade actual rate of fire for volume of troops shooting at the same target. Same resulting firepower but greater accuracy and faster accuracy gain for the soldiers.
Erm... Don't worry, I do the same thing.

Quote:
The stun raid trick is invaluable for remedying that. Of course, that is an exploit so YMMV.
I agree. I often raid the Cult but I never do the stunning trick. That's really a bug exploit and destroy the fun for me.

Quote:
Can you dodge missiles? How, running sideways? I have to try it.
You can dodge anything as long as you specifically tell your soldiers to move the right way and the target is far away enough.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #934
Japo
Autonomous human

I've read about stun raids on the wiki, and although they look like a cheat and boring and I don't plan to do them, you could possibly argue that they're not a meta-game exploit, but just another corrupt practice of just another Mega-Primus cartel, that is XCOM, who as an officially authorized monopolist of enforcement is able to trample on other cartels' rights and they have nowhere to appeal. I'm not saying the game makers intended it, of course. But I guess if the stun trick prevents the worsening of your relations with that cartel it's an explot.

PS: YMMV

Last edited by Japo; 07-02-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 07-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #935
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Naw, it is really a bug and an exploit. You see, you can raid any organization this way. Normally attacking and raiding an organization would net you a huge reputation loss but if all you do is stun the guards you'll still collect their equipment without the guards reporting you as hostile for the encounter. So all you get is a slight decrease in reputation because you raided the place without finding Aliens.

That clearly was not meant to be.
Old 16-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #936
Darabka

Send a message via Skype™ to Darabka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondSoul View Post
I think we might need some sort of a guide that will explain the basics of the game. I've played X-com 1&2 for a long time, but I can't understand a single thing of what's going on in this one... :blink:
I could of not have said it better. I played X-com extensively and loved it. Apocalypse seems to have added unnecessary complexity. I love how you can now set your movement so that you have not to do snap shot AND duck, that was a great innovation. I don't know how to send your troop transport ATV to a crashed UFO (Something so basic should be simple, I could understand everything else). Still its a true X-com game, but not as good as the previous too, with some polish it could have been a gem.

Also how is the real time option. I haven't tried it out yet, but Im afraid that it might be a mess. Any Thoughts?
Darabka is offline                         Send a private message to Darabka
Old 16-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #937
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

To send your transport to a downed UFO you simply need to go in map mode and select the transport ufo interception button. I don't remember which one exactly but you should be able to do it easily. Simply don't forget that the smaller UFOs don't have an Alien crew so if you see your transport get there and return immediately then you don't need to worry: you'll still recover the downed craft and everything in it.

The problem with Apocalypse is that the game really only been balanced for real time. They worked on this aspect of the game in priority and then added turn based only to appease the fans. But if you really want to play Apocalypse to its full potential you don't have much of a choice than to go real time.

The game is still great... But I started to enjoy this game only after I began to take it as a game which is not related to X-com 1 and 2.
Old 16-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #938
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darabka View Post
I don't know how to send your troop transport ATV to a crashed UFO (Something so basic should be simple, I could understand everything else).
Only flying vehicles can be sent on UFO recovery.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #939
Nuggista

Unhappy Apocalypse

I was a huge fan of X-Com 1 and 2. And have sunk days of play into it.

I've tried to get into playing Apocalypse at least 10 times over the last 15 years, but I've always bounced after 15 mins of play.

Apocalypse was a sad sequel in my opinion.
Nuggista is offline                         Send a private message to Nuggista
Old 20-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #940
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

I can't start a mission.

I click on the crashed UFO to send my troops (in a flying vehicle) to the crash site but the mission never starts. When I click the UFO the line that shows the path my vehicle takes doesn't become red as it should but stays yellow as shown in the screenshot:

Screenshot

And this is not the 1st time this has happened either.

Is this a common bug in the game and is there some way to fix it or prevent it from happening? Or maybe there's an alternative way to start the mission?