Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-09-2006, 01:25 AM   #21
HappyGamer
Abandonia nerd

I using it under XP. The game runs fine. After I had found out that you had posted here I decided to play again and the controls seem to be really choppy at best. Also there seems to be times that it would say I have crashed when I had not and even the final screen before the game would go back to the start menu screen would show that not to be the case. Example would be that I was going for something next to the wall and then quickly pressed the arrow keys so I would not crash and then it say I had crashed when the pic I was left with show me costing down the side of the wall instead. Yet the game would end and I would have start a new one.

Also do you remember the game Sanfu for the Intellvision? It had a lot of cool play modes that would be awsome to see in this game. Such as a battle mode where you try to ween your oppent down to just a head and once you hit the head the game was over and you won. Also there was another play mode on that game that where there where four players on the screen 3 computer controlled players and you that would leave a trail behind them of there differnt colors and the goal was to be the one who survived the longest without crashing. Maybe you could also do this with two players as well. I think by adding more different modes of play that are creative and fun would add a whole lot to this little but addicting game. Anyway that is my 2 cents. Definetly think of adding online to this great little game whenever you get the chance. I not sure but I bet there are people here who would be willing to eaither help or give you pointers for that. Also if you add some more game modes to the game and online this could be a very promising homebrew game. Keep up the good work.
HappyGamer is offline                         Send a private message to HappyGamer
Old 26-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #22
chrknudsen

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HappyGamer @ Sep 26 2006, 01:25 AM) [snapback]257376[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I using it under XP. The game runs fine. After I had found out that you had posted here I decided to play again and the controls seem to be really choppy at best. Also there seems to be times that it would say I have crashed when I had not and even the final screen before the game would go back to the start menu screen would show that not to be the case. Example would be that I was going for something next to the wall and then quickly pressed the arrow keys so I would not crash and then it say I had crashed when the pic I was left with show me costing down the side of the wall instead. Yet the game would end and I would have start a new one.

Also do you remember the game Sanfu for the Intellvision? It had a lot of cool play modes that would be awsome to see in this game. Such as a battle mode where you try to ween your oppent down to just a head and once you hit the head the game was over and you won. Also there was another play mode on that game that where there where four players on the screen 3 computer controlled players and you that would leave a trail behind them of there differnt colors and the goal was to be the one who survived the longest without crashing. Maybe you could also do this with two players as well. I think by adding more different modes of play that are creative and fun would add a whole lot to this little but addicting game. Anyway that is my 2 cents. Definetly think of adding online to this great little game whenever you get the chance. I not sure but I bet there are people here who would be willing to eaither help or give you pointers for that. Also if you add some more game modes to the game and online this could be a very promising homebrew game. Keep up the good work.
[/b]
That sounds really strange, the way you crashed. Do you think you could take a screenshot if it happens again? I'd very much like to see the situation... You're sure that you weren't moving along the wall and then accidentally pressed the arrow key to move into the wall? This would result in the "crash message", but you wouldn't be able to actually see that the worm had moved into the wall.

I'll try to look up that Sanfu game -- it sure sounds as if there were a lot of fun game modes in it. Though that battle mode sounds a lot like the Death Match mode in my game, in which you can win by shooting your opponent until he/she has a length of 0.

By the way: what speed are you running the game at?
chrknudsen is offline                         Send a private message to chrknudsen
Old 27-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #23
HappyGamer
Abandonia nerd

The only program I have downloaded for screen shots is not very good for taking screen shots on split second notice like what you are talking about to capture the screen for the pourposes you are talking about anyway. Maybe if you could suggest one that is better and free I would be glad to do it.Also I am posting a pic here of the settings of the game.

Check out snafu if you get the chance. I can see a lot of that game here only better because of the fact that the A.I. so much better in your game. I see a lot of potiental for this game of yours. One thing I think would make this little title great is more modes of play. To change up game play. I would love to be any help that I can in your endevor to take this game to the next level. I have got a ton of ideas just no programming knowledge. But I can see this little title of your game taking wings and soaring.
HappyGamer is offline                         Send a private message to HappyGamer
Old 28-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #24
chrknudsen

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HappyGamer @ Sep 27 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]257670[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The only program I have downloaded for screen shots is not very good for taking screen shots on split second notice like what you are talking about to capture the screen for the pourposes you are talking about anyway. Maybe if you could suggest one that is better and free I would be glad to do it.Also I am posting a pic here of the settings of the game.

Check out snafu if you get the chance. I can see a lot of that game here only better because of the fact that the A.I. so much better in your game. I see a lot of potiental for this game of yours. One thing I think would make this little title great is more modes of play. To change up game play. I would love to be any help that I can in your endevor to take this game to the next level. I have got a ton of ideas just no programming knowledge. But I can see this little title of your game taking wings and soaring.
[/b]
Can't you just use PrintScrn and paste whatever you captured into a picture editor? That's what I normally do...

Your settings seem to be fine, so that's certainly not what's going wrong. k:

I googled Snafu and found some screenshots. I'll think about adding some extra game modes when I get around to programming the next version of the game. That might take a while, though, as my life is pretty busy right now -- and I've also started programming on a new ASCII game that will take a loooong time to finish.
chrknudsen is offline                         Send a private message to chrknudsen
Old 30-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #25
chrknudsen

New DOS version (1.1) now available for download at WormWars.Net.

"Runtime error 200" bug on fast machines fixed.