Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-04-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
unclefester
Game freak

Thumbs down

Look what AI've read about Abandonia!

Greek Edition of Computer Games Magazine, April 2005 Issue, Flashback column
[size=7]
"The preference shown by this column to abandonware games should not surprise any of the regular readers. We are by no means looking down on the emulators and other forms of retro gaming, especially for formats that one cannot own. However, as original PC gamers, it is normal to look back nostalgicly at the times we gazed at our "onecoulored", green or yellow CGA monitors and later at the black and white or colour VGA. Games that marked our childhood like Civilization, North & South, Bard's Tale, Elite and many more. Besides it's simpler and much more genuine for us nowadays to enjoy them only with the aid of DOSBox and VDMSound, programes that you can get on the site we are reviewing this month.
Abandonia is on the site http://www.abandonia.com/ and can provide you with many resources and info on the titles that have been abandoned (or liberated) by the companies, but not forgotten by the users. It started with the initiative of a croatian gamer, named Kosta, and exists in its present form since the August of 2002. In 2003 it obtained 3 EchoAwards for the Most Dedicated Site, Best New Site and Most Updated Site. Although his university obligations made the webmaster to announce that he would give up the daily updates, he continues ,with the aid of 12 other members, to constantly expand the site. The most notable thing in this site is that it accepts no ordinary .zip files with games that could have come from anywhere, but demands from those who wish to contribute to have the orginal games, because the game manuals, copy protection info and other extras are included in the site. In addition not all the games presented are abandonware since there is, for example, Doom II among other classic games, whose copyright is not yet "liberated".
Every title is presented with screenshots, details about the date of publishing, the creators, the publishers, the genre (of course there is a chart with all the available titles divided into genres), the reviewer's rating and the public's rating (in a one to five scale), number of votes, whether it has a multiplayer feature or not, file size and a review. Those who contribute to the site obtain a V.I.P. Pass, which grants clearance to music, video and big add-ons for the games in the site. If you got the time, the mood and the an old, original game sitting in a drawer, that isn't on the site, you could as well contribute to the Abandonia community. Otherwise just browse the site. You are surely going to find something interesting"

Please ignore any mistakes since my English are a little rusty
Feel free to correct them.
unclefester is offline                         Send a private message to unclefester
Old 09-04-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Kearnsy
Games Master

It got reviewed in "Hyper" magazine in Australia.
By another Kosta!!
(All good of course!!)
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 09-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
TaloN
Hero Gamer

wow

/me hopes PC gamer does an article about this site one day.
TaloN is offline                         Send a private message to TaloN
Old 09-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #4
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I dont... would bring tons of people in and make it more expensive to host abandonia.com... might lead to the closure of the site =(

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 09-04-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
Yobor
Hero Gamer

Hmmm yes. If too many people come here, we could lose what comradery we have at the Forum here
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 09-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Yobor@Apr 9 2005, 04:17 PM
we could lose what comradery we have at the Forum here
Com-ra-dar-ery?

Comradery?! are you turning commie on me, soldier!?
Old 09-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #7
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by TaloN@Apr 9 2005, 03:54 PM
/me hopes PC gamer does an article about this site one day.
They did mention it a couple of months ago - I think there was a mention of Colonization tucked away somewhere with a note saying it was abandoned and that this was the place to get it - that's how I found my way here.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 09-04-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
Yobor
Hero Gamer

Commumism is a great idea, just over-applied. k:
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 09-04-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

To be fair, it's never been properly tried - no Communist country ever really met Marx's criteria for it, although China has come pretty close, and Cuba has almost managed to get away with it, but I'm not sure how well they'll manage once Castro dies.

Oops, a bit there
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 09-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Hmm, interesting read, never though seen abandonia mentioned in pc gamer here where I live though.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude