Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #921
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Why not DosBox 0.73? DosBox 0.74 does seem to have problems with some games which is why I don't use it, but in 0.73 there aren't any problems with Lands of Lore.
Having said that, the CD version of Lands of Lore I have is one from the White Label series, not sure which version but probably be the last / latest one.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #922
dosraider
Dismembered.

Because 0.73 is in fact a pre-074 so to speek.
0.72 did not had "386, 386_slow, 486_slow, pentium_slow, 386_prefetch" core emulation, where 0.73 already had, and that's precisely where some -(only few in fact)- games choke on.

So when some rare game has a problem with that core emu I switch back to 0.72, it also avoids getting into problems later ingame.
Capiche?

But of course, feel free to test the game in 0.73, play completely through the game to be sure of what you claim and let us know.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #923
Krause

Thanks.

I patched the game up to 1.23. I didn't previously even know there was a patch for the game available. That seemed to do the trick. It now starts up okay.

The voiceacting doesn't work still, though. This is a bit of a problem, since that was definitely one of the strong parts of the game. Voices work okay in the intro, but in-game turn off. I did run the setup, mind you, and tried with both soundblaster and soundblaster pro this far. Is there something to do with dosbox settings to help with this?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #924
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

This is the disk verson of the game not the CD, voices in game I think only come with thr CD version.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 04-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #925
Krause

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
This is the disk verson of the game not the CD, voices in game I think only come with thr CD version.
Oh no!

I used to play the cd version of the game as a child. That was too kickass to describe. So, you'd reckon there are no cd versions to download within the interwebz? As torrents, possibly, but for some reason unknown to me utorrent has a really hard time to work on my computer.

As soon as I get back home from studying abroads for christmas I could actually look for the original cd I should still at my parents' house.. Dosbox should be able to emulate that too, I reckon.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #926
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Yes Dosbox can...and we have a copy here...but it's in our member only ISO cellar.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #927
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
But of course, feel free to test the game in 0.73, play completely through the game to be sure of what you claim and let us know.
That I did, which is why I mentioned it. The game didn't want to start in 0.74 so I uninstalled it and tried in 0.73. I had no problems playing it through to end after that. Same also with Daggerfall which didn't like 0.74 (heavy sound stuttering) but was fine in 0.73.
There might be some hardware- and operating system related differences influencing the results though, my is an older Pentium M 1.4Ghz (Dell Latitude D600 notebook) and Windows XP SP2.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #928
Krause

Hi ho!

Decided to register while I was at it. I'll give it a shot trying to find the cd version. I'm not quite sure what you meant by the 'member iso cellar', but if there's nothing in the site faq, I'll take it's hidden for purpose from newcomers, and try to find relevant torrents from other parts of the vast webz.

Thank you for the help, though, everyone! At least the game works now.
Krause is offline                         Send a private message to Krause
Old 04-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #929
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Its not hidden from anyone bar the unregistered. Just have a look here, http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=43 .
Old 04-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #930
Krause

Right.

Just one last thing. I downloaded the cd-version, but that one has the same problem with starting up as the diskett one had before patching. I tried patching to 1.02, and running it in Dosbox.72 instead of .74. Neither helped. The problem is:

0 problems occured: FILEDATA.FDT exiting

The file is there, where it's supposed to be, in gamefolder DATA. Where's the problem?

Krausedit\\ Also, it might be worthwhile noting that I downloaded the game from snesorama.us, not Abandonia. The site seemed trustworthy, though. Could this be the reason?
Krause is offline                         Send a private message to Krause