Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #21

Don't hesitate to shoot the bots if they get in your way. When you get to the right place, it will be obvious. You have to drop the golden wire in the gap (i.e. don't use the wire, just drop it).

Old 24-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #22

OMG i was just looking trough my cuboard where i keep my comp games and way in the back i found this game with perfect manual (had to download because i cant use those massive disks) Kings quest four with the manual in perfect condition, and FUture Wars im so happy.

Old 31-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #23

Could someone help me, please?

I'm in Zaurak 2, and I've finished the quest there, the reunification of the three sectors. The reward is supposed to be the access to their treasure room (where you can put a grav buoy). I've taken a look at the walkthrough and it says it's the hatch near the second district leader, but it's sealed and I can't open it! I've tried the other hatches too, but there's no treasure room there. Please help, this quest is mandatory to finish the game

Old 01-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #24
Paul E. Bell

A number of comments about this game:

First off, I got this game when it first came out, on floppy, with a huge fold-out glossy-paper map, which I hung on the wall. (It was lost when there was a flood and some people came in to help clean up afterward and knocked it down or something.)

Anyway, I really liked the game, and used a HEX editor (Proview, a DOS HEX editor) to look at the game and change my character stats so my nephews could play.

At one time I even had a fairly complete list of all the weapons and armor, and their stats, garnered from the HEX data in the game files (that file was lost in a move).

I'm in the process of attempting to re-build at least part of that file. I had figgured out enough information to fix the Cygnus Cannon so you didn't end up shooting your crewmembers instead of the enemy.

When I get it figgured out again, I'll try to post it somewhere.

A note about space combat: First off, try to make your ship as fast as possible, by putting the largest engine each ship can have on it (this may mean waiting till you get technical plans to upgrade your technical capabilities). Then, if you don't want to spend a lot of time fighting pirates in space, you can take advantage of a bug in the game: just stay ahead of the ship (you'll know them by the way they follow you outside of space lanes), and lead them to the "west" side of the map (to the far left of the area you can travel in). They will stop just before you get to the edge, and be stuck there until you come back with a bigger ship, or one with weapons instead of cargo, and blow them away.

You can take on larger ships, if you have Megamissiles, and your ship is at least a level faster than the chasing ship. Also, take advantage of the fact that the edges wrap (that is, if you go off the bottom, you end up at the top, same for the sides), and going off an edge means the other ship has to chase you clear across the combat area. This is especially helpful if you don't have enough speed to get away from an enemy ship.

Now for a note about the secondary story line (the one dealing with the person supposedly responsible for the "accident" that caused the alien ship to blow up in the first place): I had played Planet's Edge through all the way to the end, had the last part (but didn't want to take it home and end the game yet), and couldn't get into an area that appeared to be the next area in the pursuit of the Janixatrix. Originally, from what I gather from the game and from a phone call I made to New World Computing at the time, you were supposed to gather parts to build the Cygnus Cannon, just as you gathered parts to build the alien engine and get the moon back. Then you were to find, and deal with the Janixatrix (hinted at by Omega). Well, according to New World Computing, they thought the game was getting too large, so they just stopped coding for that sub-story, packed the game up, and shipped it.

There, now you don't have to pull your hair out trying to find the Janixatrix. Just enjoy collecting the clues till you get the last piece of the alien engine, then go home and watch the ending (which hints at a sequel which they also never produced).

If I were a game programmer, and not just a novice hacker, I'd write an open-source version of this game, figgure out how to finish the story of the Janixatrix, and then go on to persue a sequel. On the other hand, I would love to see someone just come out with a sequel that not only goes on from the ending scenes of Planet's Edge, but finishes the search for the Janixatrix.

My only other wish is that someone who has the original color paper map would use a high-quality scanner and scan the map in a large enough size that you can actually read the names of the stars, sectors, and the key.

Well, enough, hacked or not, with the original characters, or ones you've cloned, and in spite of it's not being finished and having a few bugs, go out and get it, play it, enjoy it!

Old 02-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #25

About Zaurak: I had the same problem. Seems to be a bug. Only solution I found is to kill the guy who gave you the quest (if you forgot, he's in a room just a little to the west of the hatch room) and the hatch will open.

***SPOILERS***

Alternatively, just kill the guy on Rana prime, get the K-Beam and skip the whole sector ;P You can skip most of the game that way particularly in the first 5 sectors.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:32 AM   #26
angry axe
O for Awesome

awesome game:thumbs: , btw for those who want the manual but do not have it you can no longer download it from Home Of The Underdogs as all the files are broken
angry axe is offline                         Send a private message to angry axe
Old 14-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #27
BananielTheSpaniel

hi crowd,

sorry in advance for any grammar irritations, as the darkland (not the civilized part) is a suboptimal place to get familiar with english. in this case it doesn't matter anyway, because I offer some original material produced by a long gone (?!?) company located in a place called hollywood. my agents abroad told me to wait for so called fr33 stuff, before sending it. Irkymode off. Got more than I can wade through for an indeterminable time (and sure want). And I always try to get the big ones (like Westwood gems inc. speech) from torrents, and manuals from replacementdocs or alikes. So is anyone from the staff interested about a Sector map from PE? I doubt since the time of the last post in this thread seems to reflect its popularity and the evolution of space exploration games went rapidly and there are sure some fekking brilliant games out there (shame i did only play the intro of ME). Beside the Sector/galaxy card, I got the manual/reference card/and walkthrough from the german playtime (wouldn't mind to scan these to). Apart from that I made a detailled instruction for DFend-Reloaded, describing how to get a game incl. manuals/screens/MT32/Gus/Performance into ones precious collection. Got no website running and this would sure be the place.

Bye and enjoy the thermal disturbances.
BananielTheSpaniel is offline                         Send a private message to BananielTheSpaniel
Old 14-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #28
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananielTheSpaniel View Post
hi crowd,

sorry in advance for any grammar irritations, as the darkland (not the civilized part) is a suboptimal place to get familiar with english. in this case it doesn't matter anyway, because I offer some original material produced by a long gone (?!?) company located in a place called hollywood. my agents abroad told me to wait for so called fr33 stuff, before sending it. Irkymode off. Got more than I can wade through for an indeterminable time (and sure want). And I always try to get the big ones (like Westwood gems inc. speech) from torrents, and manuals from replacementdocs or alikes. So is anyone from the staff interested about a Sector map from PE? I doubt since the time of the last post in this thread seems to reflect its popularity and the evolution of space exploration games went rapidly and there are sure some fekking brilliant games out there (shame i did only play the intro of ME). Beside the Sector/galaxy card, I got the manual/reference card/and walkthrough from the german playtime (wouldn't mind to scan these to). Apart from that I made a detailled instruction for DFend-Reloaded, describing how to get a game incl. manuals/screens/MT32/Gus/Performance into ones precious collection. Got no website running and this would sure be the place.

Bye and enjoy the thermal disturbances.
give us all you have! =P

but i didn't really get the hollywood part
Old 15-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #29
BananielTheSpaniel

Then i suppose that question would be a candidate for the next competition the staff is staging. I will probably not even try to attend, cause I failed epicly at the big bag of booty. This will also be my last post in this thread, cause I think its not right to bump it, as I do not play PE atm (details in offers category). To many other games are tempting me now.
BananielTheSpaniel is offline                         Send a private message to BananielTheSpaniel
Old 16-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #30
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

oh no! it would be a shame if you lost your collection of goodies
i was thinking if you could scan the stuff and we could put it on site for everyone

btw, you can bump this thread as much as you want, because this is inside games discussions- a subforum linked to game pages, people can come and discuss it anytime