Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #33
Red Sandwich

Quote:
Originally posted by blastradius14@Mar 17 2006, 03:53 PM

Windows 95 can only handle up to 2gb! But, for old games, it works just fine k:

It had an on-board ESS audio like the laptop I had, and both Tyrian and Crusader were happy with it. I had both serial and ps2 mice, no that was never a problem for me, as well as both keyboards. The ESS was compatible with both Roland and Soundblaster, and I could make it play with both with the windows sound config system when I wanted to. Of course, most of the games I want to play sound more like midi on roland, and I like the more soundblasterish sounds instead of mutilated musical instrument sounds of midi LOL
Win 95 can only handle partition sizes up to 2 Gbi. It will handle disks which are larger than this provided that they are partitioned. Of the top of my head I cannot remember the absolute limit for disk drives in Win 95. It may well be 20Gbi.

I consider myself fortunate that my first computer (a Gateway P90) came with an ESS card, not one of the usual Soundblasters. At that time it had a better set of midi sounds than any of the other mass market sound cards and they still sound very good and often better than current cards. It too has a very wide range of compatibilities including the usual Soundblaster emulation (which sounds better than a native Soundblaster) and a really nice Adlib emulation which really sounds quite musical.
Red Sandwich is offline                         Send a private message to Red Sandwich