Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-10-2009, 03:36 AM   #41
Acethor
HECU Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by red makak View Post
I must say I haven't had any problems with the subs\ text etc.. But in the full version I DL from the link given in this thread there IS an ENG folder - if I double click the warfb folder there it is.
Furthermore I started of using the bat file available on this site but could not install the game properly untill I used the modification code given by the fifth horseman.

So Linbaba I suggest that you open your warfb folder in your game dir and see if the ENG folder is there and if not then according to Hunvagy it seems like you can just DL the small version of the game on this site and use that ENG folder instead which in theory should solve the problem.

I hope it will work for you.

regards Red Makak

I thought hun said there wasn't any ENG folder!! Anyways, if you have an ENG folder use Fifth's batch code, if not then use the batch on-site, since all I did was remove the ENG lines and directed it towards the proper directory where the files are located.

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 13-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #42
red makak

Exclamation Confusion

As far as I understand Hunvagy said his version had no ENG folder and in that case you could use the small version ENG folder instead - but your suggestion (Acethor) sound good as well. But nonetheless the full version I DL via this thread had a ENG folder - when one opens the image via Daemon tools (or similar program).

I wouldn't worry to much about the preset 256 color if I was you Linbaba.

Instaed drag and drop the content from the image to the game dir. When you have done that the the game dir should contain a warfb folder and in that an eng folder - thats what I did and it worked together with the fifth horseman bat code.

If there is still trouble it might be the order of which you did the unzip, drag/drop, bat install etc. and in that case (as I had to do several times before the game finally worked) I would delete all warhammer related files, but the DL rar files and start over and make sure I do it in the correct order as explained previously (but of course what works for me doesn't necesseraly work for you).

I really hope you find a way to make it work Linbaba - I know how much I struggled before it finally worked.

Regards Red Makek
red makak is offline                         Send a private message to red makak
Old 13-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #43
Pex
Game Wizzard

I still fondly remember this game... I played it when it first came out and enjoyed it very much. I remember how my sister used to be annoyed with my crosbowmen captains screaming 'Fire!' every time before they shoot

As someone said here, it was very hard game, becauce Games Workshop Warhammer rules were implemented completely so (like in the table top one) a bad role of dice (virtual in this case) could make a difference between winning and losing. You could've played the same mission twince, use completely the same strategy and lose one time and win the other. Or score an overwhelming victory once and barely win with heavy losses the other time. That was another thing that made the game hard - since it was one continual campaign, suffering heavy losses in one mission could mean that you wouldn't have enough forces left to win the next one. Especially since you weren't able to replenish losses after every mission, but only certain ones.

I have to brag here that I managed to finish the game without cheating, thought only once. It still involved a lot of reloading of saved games and replaying certain missions until the best result was achieved (and sometimes even going back two missions), but I didn't use the hex editor. I was a bit disappointed with the way it ended (storywise) but it was a still great game to play.

Tips: The strongest unit in your army is your amber wizard. His Amber Spear spell is great for killing enemy characters (shamans, seers) and monsters (trolls, rat ogres) while his Flock of Doom deals with large blocks of enemy units. Before starting the battle (after positioning your units) don't press the start button until Wind of Magic scale is up to the maximum then quickly inflict as much damage as you can with your wizard. Note that he doesn't have the Flock of Doom spell at the beginning, so keep replaying the mission when he's about to get his level until he gets that spell And make sure you protect him from the close combat.

Your next stronges unit is your Grudghbringer Cavalry, especially after you pick up some useful magic items with it. They are very effective when they charge and even more if they hit an already engaged enemy unit in flank or rear.

When using your war machines (mortars or later cannons), make sure that you fire with them only as much as you need. In other words, once you see that you are winning the mission just stop firing. That way you'll eliminate the risk of misfiring at that stage. Trust me, there's nothing more frustrating than crushing enemy and then loosing a mortar to a misfire when trying to destroy a few skaven that were already running away.

Finally, you'll notice that all the missions are scripted in the way that the enemy's starting possitions are always the same in a mission and their reinforces/ambushes always come from the same spot. Use that to your advantage when replaying a failed mission, to assure that possitions of your troops counter those of enemy's. You can even use your mortars to shoot at a spot where you know an enemy unit is, even if you don't see the enemy.

Last edited by Pex; 13-10-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: just some minor fixes
Pex is offline                         Send a private message to Pex
Old 13-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #44
Panthro
Man of Science

I could not get used to the artillery. Just didn't seem to hit the vast majority of the time, and I got a lot of misfires.

I did however find the hex editing very useful... but then I am usually terrible for cheating after becoming frustrated.
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 16-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #45
red makak

Unhappy Orh man!!

Finally, I thought everything was working fine and I was happily slashing my way through orcs and skavens it happened "whshr.exe not running"!!

It was on my final march to Zhufbar after I had just helped out a farmer with some gobling problems.
Has anyone else had the same problem and what did you do??
I'm playing the full version by the way.

So far I tried to restart a couple of times, install the small version and copy/paste the save games, but that doesn't even run and finally I tried to install the full version again and copy/paste the save games - which made it possible to run the save games, but still the same "whshr.exe not running" when I'm doing the final march.

Can anyone help!?

And finally do anyone know if there is the same or similar problem with the small version (if not I might consider starting over with that version).

Thanks

Regards Red Makak
red makak is offline                         Send a private message to red makak
Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #46
Ted1983
Lurker

Hi,

I can get the game to work under Windows 7,
but the animation sequences and other voice bits are not
there. I've tried the small version and the full download with similar results.
Can anyone provide any other suggestions?
Ted1983 is offline                         Send a private message to Ted1983
Old 20-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #47
Finn MacCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by red makak View Post
Finally, I thought everything was working fine and I was happily slashing my way through orcs and skavens it happened "whshr.exe not running"!!

It was on my final march to Zhufbar after I had just helped out a farmer with some gobling problems.
Has anyone else had the same problem and what did you do??
I'm playing the full version by the way.
i have the same problem
i tried leaving out the mission before ("squatter's rights") and taking different troops with me, but i never got past the text belonging to the next video ("From a vantage point...")
Finn MacCool is offline                         Send a private message to Finn MacCool
Old 05-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #48
QuailLover

So I'm having this problem when trying to run this game.

I've tried both the rip and the iso with the results the same. Whenever I open the game, I get this error: "Load File (dll/wnd.dll) not found."

Any thoughts? I followed the instructions to the T, in both.

Now I do have Windows 7, could that be the issue?
QuailLover is offline                         Send a private message to QuailLover
Old 05-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #49
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuailLover View Post
Now I do have Windows 7, could that be the issue?
Run the game in Windows XP Mode.
... that's the easy way.

If you're not afraid of doing some work:
Get Windows Virtual PC 7 and install Win98(SE) in it, works also.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #50
QuailLover

I'll just wait till I fix my laptop then.
QuailLover is offline                         Send a private message to QuailLover