Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 15-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #81
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Already in progress.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #82
JudgeDeadd
Super Freak

I've seen someone suggest "game guides".

Nice idea, but not for games like Doom or Civilization that already have tons of guides and walkthrus all over the internet, because then it would be pretty pointless. Instead, a guide for some obscure game which wasn't yet satisfactorily covered on GameFAQs or somewhere else. That would be nice.
Old 16-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #83
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Wrath of Earth could do with one.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 16-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #84
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

We could open "challenges" for writing guides for a purposefully restricted gameplay - eg, "beat Fallout without firing a gun".
Or we could have guides covering easter eggs and secrets inside games.

I'm convinced we could review a modern game once per issue - under condition that it's faithful to the classic gaming spirit. Secret Files: Tunguska, anyone?

In addition, inclusion of handheld platforms (GBA, NDS, perhaps - but not neccesarily - PSP) may have a point. Why? Because a lot of games for them are treading in the paths of computer gaming from a decade or so back.
Have a look at Tom Clancy's EndWar for NDS. It's a Battle Isle clone with only slightly improved graphics and almost identical gameplay mechanic (minus one change, which is actually a really nice improvement).
Have a look at Metroid Fusion for GBA. It's in many ways a follower of the SNES Super Metroid.
And on it goes.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 16-05-2009 at 09:17 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #85
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDeadd View Post
I've seen someone suggest "game guides".

Nice idea, but not for games like Doom or Civilization that already have tons of guides and walkthrus all over the internet, because then it would be pretty pointless. Instead, a guide for some obscure game which wasn't yet satisfactorily covered on GameFAQs or somewhere else. That would be nice.

Yeah, I think that this is a great idea. I'd like to see the magazine used to increase awareness of the forgotten old games. That way, making guide to not well known games will make the games better known and the other games still have it's presence in the magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
In addition, inclusion of handheld platforms (GBA, NDS, perhaps - but not neccesarily - PSP) may have a point. Why? Because a lot of games for them are treading in the paths of computer gaming from a decade or so back.
I agree with him, because we do not only like the old for being old (nostalgia) but because its gameplay it's better, compared to a lot of nowadays games.
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 16-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #86
Japo
Autonomous human

As long as there are retro elements... A game could be for Solaris Itanium. :P Although I think it would be best if most of the content was still about actually old games.
Old 19-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #87
seanex

OK, please don't laugh me off the board if this idea is completely awful.
How about a book review? There are plenty of games on Abandonia that are based on novels or series of novels. A quick glance I had through some of the categories reveals the following:
Alone in the Dark, Call of Cthulhu, Discworld, Dune, Frederik Pohl's Gateway, The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes, Neuromancer, Ringworld - Revenge of the Patriarch...
And that is without even checking the text-adventures. I'm pretty sure there is a Hitchiker's Guide one for example. I have read all these books and would be happy to attempt a review. If however they were to be linked to the game-of-the-novel I would have to play through them. Although, obviously, someone could well have a head start on this. I don't know if there would be a lack of interest in the review though? Hopefully, the article would encourage people to read some of these excellent books. Thanks for listening!
Old 19-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #88
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanex View Post
OK, please don't laugh me off the board if this idea is completely awful.
How about a book review? There are plenty of games on Abandonia that are based on novels or series of novels. A quick glance I had through some of the categories reveals the following:
Alone in the Dark, Call of Cthulhu, Discworld, Dune, Frederik Pohl's Gateway, The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes, Neuromancer, Ringworld - Revenge of the Patriarch...
And that is without even checking the text-adventures. I'm pretty sure there is a Hitchiker's Guide one for example. I have read all these books and would be happy to attempt a review. If however they were to be linked to the game-of-the-novel I would have to play through them. Although, obviously, someone could well have a head start on this. I don't know if there would be a lack of interest in the review though? Hopefully, the article would encourage people to read some of these excellent books. Thanks for listening!
Next issue will have an article about games based on books, actually . All the games you mentioned except for Neuromancer and Alone In The Dark are mentioned.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 19-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #89
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

So... it went from not thinking console reviews would fit in because it's ''an extention of the site''... To even considering to include reviews of modern handheld games, because they play like old games? Games that are, in other words, neither abandoned, nor for computers, or any stationary platform for that matter.

Fuck me sideways.

...I disagree with the idea. I mean, sticking to old games should be required, seeing as it's called ''Abandoned Times'' and has the slogan ''Abandoned but not forgotten''. I know it was just an idea, but ohhhhh no. If people were sceptical of including old console games, I can't see having modern handheld games in the mag.

Sorry for being contradictive so much. I'm quite sure it's not appreciated. But the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Last edited by Simoneer; 19-05-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Simoneer is offline                         Send a private message to Simoneer
Old 19-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #90
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
How about a book review? There are plenty of games on Abandonia that are based on novels or series of novels.
Definitely so.
In fact... I just found my copy of "The Kraken Wakes" by John Wyndham. X-Com 2 might not have been based on it directly... but it's pretty damn similar.

-- Reed Richards
Closed Thread