Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

Default Worlds of Ultima - The Savage Empire

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Romano; 26-04-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 17-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
El Loco XII
Lurker

nice wil give it a try
El Loco XII is offline                         Send a private message to El Loco XII
Old 17-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Savage Empire is OK as far as I managed to play, Martian Dreams is the real star though.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 17-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

An excellent game, one of two Warren Spector convinced Garriott to make using the Ultima VI engine, before Garriott gots the usual shakes for new technology. I reviewed it when it first came out, and loved the thing. Still have the box and all--one of the few where I've kept anything other than discs, manual and (where available) map.

Just a few hints, which I can still recall despite not having played it since the original release:

Remember that unlike most RPGs, you can use a lot of stuff you find. Some of it can be combined to form new objects. This is especially important where a certain very large and annoying creature above a very high mesa is concerned.

You'll find some old, familiar faces from comic movies past in the game. You can loot their tribe for a lot of food. Nobody cares. Fun dialog, too.

As in the Ultima games, designate at least one party member as your spellcaster, and regularly raise their intelligence. Spells can be very beneficial to you, and there are next to no magical objects like rings and enchanted swords to replace them with (unlike the later Ultima titles).

Last edited by Borodin; 19-04-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 19-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
shinsaku

Thank you very much for providing this game. I've recently played Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams, a game I had still fond memories from the time of its release. I'm now really looking forward to give this one a try, which is completely new to me, thus opening a completely new world to explore.

Thumbs up!
shinsaku is offline                         Send a private message to shinsaku
Old 24-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
humorguy
Super Freak

The two World of Ultima games, this and Martian Dreams, in my humble opinion, are the two stars of the Ultima series. Where you had (and have) many Dungeon and Dragons lookalikes at the time and after the Ultima series, these stand alone. They have never really been replicated in any way, so thank goodness they are both absolutely excellent!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 10-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
darylrogers

Default No sound in Savage Empire

I downloaded Martian Dreams and Savage Empire. I am running them with DosBox. Martian Dreams works fine. Savage Empire does not. It seems to be running faster than MD, but the main problem is that there is no sound or music. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any guesses for a solution? Thanks!
darylrogers is offline                         Send a private message to darylrogers
Old 10-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Have you tried running the game's sound setup and reconfiguring it? Dosbox emulates Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
darylrogers

Default No sound on SE

Good suggestion. I went through the Install exe, and the sound was set to Roland. I changed it to PC internal speaker. But at the end it asked me to insert my copy of the game into the A drive. I could not get past that point to make it accept the sound card change. Is there an option listed in the DOSBox cofig anywhere that would make this change?
darylrogers is offline                         Send a private message to darylrogers
Old 12-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
dosraider
Dismembered.

Mount your game folder as A: (floppy), run install from there (A: ) install in c:\savage\ (dosbox !!!!).Choose svga and SB
Works fine.

[Edit]
Install works also when you mount the folder as CDRom.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 12-07-2008 at 06:41 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider