Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
chainsoar
Master Debater

I don't remember KKND that well, I remember my brother had it and I thought it looked kinda cool. However, I can tell you to avoid KKND 2 like the plague. Absolute dross, pretty much a worthless C&C clone. Every side (Survivors, Evolved, or Series 9) are exactly the same and have all the same weapons. It looks, plays, and generally feels like C&C's weak cousin.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 10-07-2008, 02:42 AM   #12
Zekk
Lurker

I have played "battle for wesnoth", GREAT GAME. Turn based strategy, multiple campaigns with very good stories (Especially the main one...Heir to the throne), lots of action, good unit selections. And one of my favorite features: recalling units from past scenarieos (i know i didn't spell that correctly....)

All in all, a really good game.

Zekk
Zekk is offline                         Send a private message to Zekk
Old 10-07-2008, 02:44 AM   #13
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I liked it too, but it didn't do it for me in the long run. It was way too much a wargame for me to really like it.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:43 AM   #14
nvrmre

I forgot about Heroes of Might & Magic - I played the first game a long while back but none of the sequels. I may have to look around - I believe there is a compilation available with all or most of the games.

Thanks for the feedback on Battle for Wesnoth - the screenshots on the main site looked quite nice. I'm impressed with the quality given that its an Indie game. I'll download the latest version from their site and give it a try. I'm not always into the war aspect, but if done right, or if the story is strong enough, it may hook me.
nvrmre is offline                         Send a private message to nvrmre
Old 10-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
Tervez
Never Compromise

If you happen to like Master of Magic, I suggest you try Age of Wonders or it's sequel. Both are great games, and shouldn't be that hard to get.
Tervez is offline                         Send a private message to Tervez
Old 13-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #16
moljac024

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrmre View Post
I forgot about Heroes of Might & Magic - I played the first game a long while back but none of the sequels. I may have to look around - I believe there is a compilation available with all or most of the games.

Thanks for the feedback on Battle for Wesnoth - the screenshots on the main site looked quite nice. I'm impressed with the quality given that its an Indie game. I'll download the latest version from their site and give it a try. I'm not always into the war aspect, but if done right, or if the story is strong enough, it may hook me.
it's not indie, it's open source.
moljac024 is offline                         Send a private message to moljac024
Old 13-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #17
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

and what makes you think that open source can't be independent
Old 13-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #18
nvrmre

When I said Indie, I meant it as a blanket term referring to a game/program not being released my a major manufacturer, not on store shelves, no million dollar ad campaign, etc. I usually consider open source projects to full under that generic term, though I could be using the term incorrectly.
nvrmre is offline                         Send a private message to nvrmre
Old 13-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #19
moljac024

Hmm, my bad, I guess it could. This is what wikipedia has to say:

Quote:
Indie video games are often grouped together with shareware, freeware and open source software.
But then again:

Quote:
Indie games are video games that are created independently of the financial backing of a large publishing company. These games generally have a small or non-existent budget and are often primarily available online or through friend-to-friend sharing, although in some cases budgets can run in the millions, and indie games have appeared on consoles and in game stores.
Quote:
Before the mid-1990s, commercial game distribution was controlled by big publishers and retailers, and developers of indie games were forced to either build their own publishing company, find one willing to distribute their game, or distribute it in some form of shareware (eg. through BBSs). With the rise of online shopping, it has become possible to sell indie games to a worldwide market with little or no initial investment by using services such as eBay and PayPal.
This implies that profit may be an integral part of the project. Open-source generally doesn't function that way. Never mind anyway...
moljac024 is offline                         Send a private message to moljac024
Old 24-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #20
Ultimate Carl

You could try the Warlords series. I was in LOVE with Warlords 3. I remember wasting away an entire WEEK on this game. It's even got army customization, random level generators, and hotseat multiplayer. Half that week was spent playing with friends!
Ultimate Carl is offline                         Send a private message to Ultimate Carl