Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-11-2006, 12:35 AM   #21
DOSGamar

i tried flash one time but i sucked
Das Ei that is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DOSGamar is offline                         Send a private message to DOSGamar
Old 15-11-2006, 04:22 AM   #22
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOSGamar @ Nov 15 2006, 03:35 AM) [snapback]267028[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
i tried flash one time but i sucked
Das Ei that is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b]
You do notice that the last post before yours was in 2005, no? Please avoid posting in very old topics in the future. Thanks.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 16-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #23
carpetsmoker
Forum hobbit

Although chickenman neglected to post any arguments for his statement, he is correct:
Flash does suck.

Why?
flash breaks the browser's back button, many internet users heavily rely upon the back button for site navigation.

Users will be unable to adjust the font size, which may lead to problems on very large/small screens or for disabled users.

Disability features such as text-to-speech, braille ect, won't work anymore,

Already visited links won't change color, which will confuse your visitors.

Flash only works on Windows, Linux, and OSX, users of other OS's can;t view flash pages.

Flash is S.L.O.W. just like overuse of Javascript/AJAX flash can grind a computer down to a halt, don;t your visitors to have all the latest hardware, because many don't.
carpetsmoker is offline                         Send a private message to carpetsmoker
Old 16-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #24
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

But still, I like Flash because of the games made in it I can play. There are some isolated gems out there.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 17-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #25
carpetsmoker
Forum hobbit

There's nothing wrong about using flash for games, I was talking about using flash for creating the overall layout of a site.

For example:
http://www.thq.com/gamesites/punisher/home.php
http://www.paradiso.nl/ (this is one of the worst site's I've ever seen)
carpetsmoker is offline                         Send a private message to carpetsmoker
Old 29-01-2007, 01:57 AM   #26
STFM
Abandonia nerd

While i agree with you in that I dont like flash and Flash should not be used for the sake of having flash, i want to add my thoughts to your comments.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carpetsmoker @ Jan 17 2007, 02:21 AM) [snapback]275189[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
flash breaks the browser's back button, many internet users heavily rely upon the back button for site navigation.
[/b]
Flash is best used in situations where navigation is not required or the flash object is standalone. While mixing flash and html can be annoying to the user, dedicated flash applications can work better than the html equivalents.

Quote:
Users will be unable to adjust the font size, which may lead to problems on very large/small screens or for disabled users.
[/b]
There are thousands of HTML websites that dont support this either. Flash can have font size change support but - like html - its up to the programmer to implement

Quote:
Disability features such as text-to-speech, braille ect, won't work anymore,
[/b]
Agreed! - but if you want these functions you wouldnt use flash. Image rich html and imagemaps can also render screen readers useless. Google has issues with indexing flash sites as well. The nike site i believe is a prime example of this.

Quote:
Already visited links won't change color, which will confuse your visitors.
[/b]
need i point out the thousands (perhaps millions) of websites that use image links or image maps or even strict CSS classes? They dont change colour either

Quote:
Flash only works on Windows, Linux, and OSX, users of other OS's can;t view flash pages.
[/b]
Adobe have a player for all of the major OS's and well as support in many mobile devices such as phones and some mp3 players. Again, if your target audience uses nothing but Mosaic 1.0 then you wouldnt write your site in flash...

Quote:
Flash is S.L.O.W. just like overuse of Javascript/AJAX flash can grind a computer down to a halt, don;t your visitors to have all the latest hardware, because many don't.
[/b]
Slow? Again down to the skill of the programmer. A bad workman blames his tools. Flash has its place on the web and yes, id rather not have sites that use flash.
STFM is offline                         Send a private message to STFM
Old 16-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #27
herrloffel

what about action scprit from flash... there is anyone here who know how used it or a tutorial to help me?

Need to do some aplications with flash for teaching physics but Im still a newbee on the program skills
herrloffel is offline                         Send a private message to herrloffel
Old 07-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #28
Moshchu
Game freak

there is good, little program called Powerbullet Presenter which creates presentations. You might find it useful for your purposes. It's absolutely free. I've used it once to create some flash animations for my website since i cant afford Adobe products.

Edit:

Also there is another free (and OpenSource) program for editing video material called Jahshaka. It contains animation module in which you can insert and manipulate video files and pictures and save entire project as .swf file.

For those who are more advanced in flash and action scripiting there is a must visit site where you can read about open source flash development projects - www.osflash.org
Moshchu is offline                         Send a private message to Moshchu