Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #171
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
In the Mission Manual, they have some mistakes, like
the Tutorial 8 Mini-Map is the same as the Tutorial 9.
That's what came with the CD version of the game, unfortunately.

Quote:
For example, on the last Advance Tutorial, they suggest to protect the first 2 corridors, What?, I just send 1 guy in the corridor fronting the first Genestealers entrance, and shoot them as they pop out. You put a couple other guys nearby to replace him in case, and tada.
Try handling that tutorial entirely from the planning screen. During the campaign, there will be times when you can't FPS because you'll be too busy handling three or four fronts at once and making sure the entire plan doesn't go on a one-way ride down the drain - and sometimes without any Freeze Time either.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #172
Talkie
Forum hobbit

Hmm, the Maps are missing the Space Hulk Originals. If you happen to
have them, I'd love to add them to the directory. Though there's only
no. 6 (Defend) of that section I haven't completed. What you just said
totally apply to that mission. I appreciate that there's no timer: you have no idea how long you must hold.

BTW, I'd love to hear this:

Cheers!

Talkie
Talkie is offline                         Send a private message to Talkie
Old 19-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #173
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkie View Post
Hmm, the Maps are missing the Space Hulk Originals. If you happen to
have them, I'd love to add them to the directory.
I guess I'll do it once I have the time.
The maps are exactly the same as the ones in first edition Space Hulk, which is why I skipped adding them.

Quote:
BTW, I'd love to hear this:
Not just you. I've been hunting for this for a while myself.
BTW, D-Rok apparently only released one album and that single.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 19-07-2010 at 08:45 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #174
Talkie
Forum hobbit

Default Brother Marines!

I've done it! I completed Space Hulk! Well, most of it. I didn't complete some of the New Missions (cd-rom version) which looks even harder than the tougher missions of the Deathwing Campaign, but I've finished everything else.

It's not the hardest videogame I ever played, but it's pretty tough. You can't allow yourself to be distracted, you have to watch your marines like it's a case of life and death (well, it is, for them). Space hulk is addictive! Because I had to restart most missions over 10 times before I succeeded them, it was a party each time I completed one. It really is a perfect mix strategy-FPS, you can't win if you don't constantly switch modes.

While the sounds during play are sometimes laughable (nothing of the "scary videogame" I was looking for, after reading many reviews), the dark-scifi aesthetic of a religious army, and the ominous voice of the commander in chief are pretty convincing. The music is equally thrilling, both the DOS and the different Amiga version.

By the way, I noticed that the ending animation for the Avenged level (Deathwing Campaign) is different on my cd-rom version than the one I saw on Youtube. I know the Amiga version only has still images instead of animations, but haven't verified if the DOS disket version also uses stills. Also, I kept getting an animation of a spaceship crashing into a hulk each time I started a mission, and I'm not sure if this is normal or a bug (preventing me from seeing futher ANIM files). Thing is, I used a method of copying the SQUADINF file for saving, and I wonder if that could have messed up something.

Speaking of saving: you can't save in Space Hulk. You only get to continue the Deathwing campaign, but that is only when you know how to Quit. I have lost my campaign a couple times by using the standard T or CTRL-Quit method (it would then consider it as if I had killed my crew). You need to use ESC or directly quit Dosbox (if you use that program). Because the Deathwing Campaign is rather hard, but not necessarely in the later levels, I thought of offering here my saves for those who just want to reach a higher level but are stuck somewhere. You just replace your SQUADINF file in the Space Hulk directory with the proper one for the Mission you want to reach (there is also one save for all-missions-completed, but no save for the 2nd Deathwing Missions because the first two are too easy...Just reach the darn portal fast).

Here are the saves (alas, only 10 people can get them, but if this is somewhat useful, perhaps someone can put it up somewhere more permanent, I just don't know where):

http://rapidshare.com/files/41032433...aign_Saves.zip

Since I last posted, I also found a complete strategy guide (for all except the New Missions of the cd-rom version).

It's the Solution Attachment found here:

http://www.oldgames.nu/Space_Hulk/Space_Hulk/3298/

Because there is no author for the text, and it mentions that it is an official guide from some (old forgotten?) EA website, I'm simply going to paste the guide here (I still prefer to use my own strategies):

Walkthrough

There is another mention on that website of a cheat trick, about typing
"i need help" at some point. I could never figure that one out.

Ah well, I had a blast, and I'll be back for some Warhammer 40,000 darknes soon enough.

Cheers,

Talkie

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 01-08-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Talkie is offline                         Send a private message to Talkie
Old 28-08-2011, 03:21 AM   #175
dink
Default crash

hi I can play most missions using dos box 0.74 on vista but get a crash and stutter at the end of some missions so I can't progress further then mish 4 on deathwing - also get a stutter and crash on intro if I dont skip (after gw logo flashes up and while spacemarine waves his sword) - other people seem to have had this problem and solve3d it by upgrading to 0.74 but that's what I'm using - can anyone help - great game - shame not to get to later missions
thanks

Old 28-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #176
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Go into the DOSBox config and try switching the emulated soundcard to Sound Blaster Pro 2 instead of the default Sound Blaster 16 and the MPU401 emulation to UART or none (Intelligent was causing problems in some games IIRC)

-- Reed Richards
Old 28-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #177
dink
Default :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Go into the DOSBox config and try switching the emulated soundcard to Sound Blaster Pro 2 instead of the default Sound Blaster 16 and the MPU401 emulation to UART or none (Intelligent was causing problems in some games IIRC)
hey, tried the changes of conf with these combinations but still no joy - still crashes with stutter in the same places - anything else I could try?
thanks

Old 28-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #178
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Did you get your copy of the game from Abandonia?

-- Reed Richards
Old 28-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #179
dink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Did you get your copy of the game from Abandonia?
yes - argh maybe vista is just being rubbish

Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #180
Drakhorn

I have the same problem, tried the same fixes and I have 0.74.

The error code is "DMA seqbound error (read)"

Would love to have a fix for this!

#MERGED#

scratch that, the right error code is

"Exit to error: SMA segbound wrapping (read)"

#MERGED#

%¤#&#¤%&

can't be bothered to register so I could edit my own typos

"Exit to error: DMA segbound wrapping (read)"

Sorry for the spam.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 05-03-2012 at 05:30 AM.